Pets with the top down... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Pets with the top down...

Going out to the camp with my wife for an anniversary weekend away from the house. The top is down right now and I want to leave it down if I can, but we have three large dogs and I'd never forgive myself if one jumped out.

Do you guys leash your dogs in the Jeep or are they generally smart enough to stay put? I've never been one to put them in the bed of the truck either, so I'm nervous about it.

What do you guys do to restrict the dogs from doing something stupid in the Jeep?

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat View Post
Going out to the camp with my wife for an anniversary weekend away from the house. The top is down right now and I want to leave it down if I can, but we have three large dogs and I'd never forgive myself if one jumped out.

Do you guys leash your dogs in the Jeep or are they generally smart enough to stay put? I've never been one to put them in the bed of the truck either, so I'm nervous about it.

What do you guys do to restrict the dogs from doing something stupid in the Jeep?
I used to use a leash tied to the floor but then I bought the smittybilt cargo nets and they work great, my lab is much happier being able to move around and I don't have to worry.

aka- Brian
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #3 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Rock God

In the JK my hard top is always on so I got him a chest harness and leave a short leash attached to the sport bar, secure him using that. In my YJ I did the same thing but had a Smittybilt net system style top to keep him in.
You can kinda see it in this pic of the YJ.

Use the same idea in the JK.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Wheeler

I made my own nets similar to Raingler nets.
Divider between rear and rear seat, sides and following rear sport cage down.
With top folded keeps our two dogs contained, they are happy they can see out, feel the breeze, and talk to other dogs, all contained and safe.

08 Unlimited born 1/08
Flame Red, Dual Tops
3.5" Clayton Lift
35" Cooper Discovery STs Cragar Soft 8s
5:38s, ARBs F/R, RCVs 35 spline front axle,
Nitto rear 35 spline axle
ProRock 44
Shrokworks sliders
Clayton Offroad skids/crossmember
Tom Woods F/R driveshafts
Mr Fister Fab Front Bumper
VIAR OBA
post #5 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Rock God

I got a couple of these from REI:

Here is the link www.rei.com

They are really helpful in keeping my dogs from roaming around and bothering me. Well, one dog does that... the other dog is extremely lethargic but I had to get him one too so that the whiner has a companion in back seat prison. After a couple of trips they got the routine. Now they just snuggle up or sit and look out the window.

I used to have a regular chest harness strapped in with a leash, but then I got to thinking; what happens if we were to get into an accident? The slack would allow the dog to travel, only to be yanked back down.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

I use safari straps with a leash and chest harness. I can run like that with no doors and my dog loves it. Doggles are a nice addition too, and gets him lots if attention from the other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

I use a seat belt like shown above. Its hard to use a leash because if they try to jump out they could hang themselves.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I use a seat belt like shown above. Its hard to use a leash because if they try to jump out they could hang themselves.
That's why I went with the chest harness. Doofus got excited the other day and jumped out before I unhooked him. He looked pretty embarrassed just hanging there from the eyelet on his harness.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Garage

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Good question. A group from our club drove to Tahoe and did the Rubicon back in '04. One couple have a Scramble and brought their three dogs. The dogs had had enough after about an hour and walked the rest of the way. Problem was they kept running in front of the Jeeps while we were trying to concentrate on obstacles, etc. One of them could easily have been injured, or worse, and it would have been impossible to get them timely assistance. One of our club members always takes his dog along and keeps him strapped in with a harness. Dave rolled suddenly on Moab Rim and claims the harness saved the dog's life.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use a chest harness and leave a leash connected to the child seat hook in the middle so he has enough slack to move around but not enough to exit the Jeep.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #12 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Hilarious!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Granite Guru

My buddy uses the safari strap enclosure, that seems to be the best I think. I guess Im lucky, my dog is so lazy that as soon as hes in the jeep he falls asleep even bouncing along on the trail. But if an obsticle is sketchy I let him out incase something bad happens.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for all the input guys! I decided to put the top on tonight and start looking for some good chest harnesses. The collars barely keep them on a leash at all, let alone if they'd decide they want out of the Jeep.

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
post #15 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I use carabiners one attached to the base of the seat belt and one on the dogs collar with nylon webbing set to a good length between the two. (Rock climbers use similar things called quick draws). I leave it just long enough so the dog can stick her head out the window and be a dog, but no longer than that.

I had a very bad experience as a kid when my buddies dog was leashed in the bed of a pickup...the leash was too long, but secure. The dog fully rehabbed.

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #16 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

frank, my pug, and coco, my pitbull, are not allowed in the jeep together with the top down.... now frank used to ride with me, on small distance rides, with no top and no doors strapped into the seat!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode