Windshield Replacement? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exclamation Windshield Replacement?

Hey all..
I searched for windshield and got sick of filtering through pages. So if this is out there, I'm sure it is somewhere because I vaguely remember seeing it,..I'm sorry.
Anyway. I was driving today and the smallest rock chip in my windshield cracked about 2 feet.. Both ends of the crack ended at the very bottom so I wasn't going to bother getting it replaced. Until.. I hit a deer 30 minutes ago..
Windshield is shattered.. Like an iPhone :P

ANYWAY.. I read a while back about a windshield that was like.. vinyl, or plexi glass or something? stronger than glass.. bends, doesn't break.. I just don't know what it was called or if it is even worth more than paying for regular ole glass.

I don't want to go through my insurance.. it's already 2400/year. So I'm staying away from that..

Any advice is welcome! And very appreciated. Need to get it replaced ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Lexan bends and doesn't break but I'm not sure its D.O.T. approved. Safelite is expensive. They quoted me $395 with a warranty for replacement but the warranty is basically for improper installation from their tech, not if it breaks again. I got a local company I have used before for $200, I had to do mine a month ago.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Jersey Kustoms Front/Rear Bumpers and Sliders
Engo 10000 Winch
Skyjacker 4" Value Flex Lift
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
VHT Markers and Taillights
Jersey Kustoms Tramp Stamp
post #3 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

That deer steal your radio after he did a barrel roll over your windshield?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I had someone install new glass from Craigslist. It was a PPG second, but I can't see the defect. The only problem is the guy didn't space it right, so it whistles a little. Was like $180 total, so i can't complain too much, I just turn up the stereo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #5 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Rock God

Do NOT use safelite they use very cheap class, and alot of there techs are not trained correctly.

Belle Tire if there near you? Does them. PPG, and Plinkington are some of the better glass out there.

If you have the jeeps/grille on it, its mopar only. But you do not need to use it, you can do a normal "older" glass.

And call your insurance company, I was surprised to find out I had free glass replacement.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I really don't want to go through insurance..by driving record isn't the best >
My insurance finally caught up to me (literally after 2 years.. Is that even legal?) is $2400/year for me alone..

I'm going to ask the dealership.

Radio: hah, no.. I had a touch screen JVC and it took a shit.. I've tried messing with the wires and fuses and it's just jank. I just took it out, hoping I can get best buy or a stereo shop to hook up the stock stereo. The guy before me had to cut all the wires and solder them for the JVC.. It's hellacious. >:[
post #7 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Rock God

In Florida they replace it for free from your insurance. And some other states too.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Howie ride around to all the glass places until you find a jeep parked out back. Go in and find the tec that owns it and sign him up for the Jersey Crew. We need a glass guy in the Crew.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #9 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Get an OEM glass..if ya don't it will whistle..its annoying..

Then buy a bug deflector...that will cut down on the rocks hitting it.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #10 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Usually windshields don't count against you so not sure why you would not use your insurance or at least call them to see what your policy is on it.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
In Florida they replace it for free from your insurance. And some other states too.
lots of states do that and they're legally obligated to NOT raise your premium. I'd just say hey my windshield has a little crack in it, needs to be replaced and they'll hook it up....that is if you're in one of those states.

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #12 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8604 View Post
lots of states do that and they're legally obligated to NOT raise your premium. I'd just say hey my windshield has a little crack in it, needs to be replaced and they'll hook it up....that is if you're in one of those states.
Is NY one of those states? I hope so for future reference...

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #13 of 13 Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will call them tomorrow, hopefully they are open. If not, then monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode