Show me some racks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Show me some racks

Post up some pics of what roof racks your running, especially 2 doors but 4 doors are welcomed too. I am looking to get a rack system to increase cargo capacity for my non-existent 2 door cargo room. I have been looking at all and I would prefer one that does not mount to where my windshield lights mount. I have been looking at Kargo Master, Garvin, Off Camber, Smittybilt and Warrior to name a few. Also one that will still allow me to drop the top.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Garage

Kargo Master with basket

BTW, the rack was used for SEMA but I think ts for sale now.. you might get a screaming deal on it.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That's a pretty sick ride. That rack sits up a little too high for my liking anf looks like the front mounts right where my lights are.

-Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Gobi makes a nice JK rack that tilts to allow opeing the soft top.

EAD is an authorized distributor, send me a PM for JKO pricing discounts

More info here

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #5 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That Gobi too, looks like it mounts up front to where my windshield Dually’s are. How difficult is it to remove and install these racks. I know some guys have removed because of wind noise and fuel economy. My Jeep is a daily driver.

-Dan

post #6 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
That Gobi too, looks like it mounts up front to where my windshield Dually’s are. How difficult is it to remove and install these racks. I know some guys have removed because of wind noise and fuel economy. My Jeep is a daily driver.

-Dan
You can still use the light mounts on the windshield

It takes about an hour to install a Gobi the first time. You may get a little wind noise and may see a drop in fuel economy, both would be negligible, the same as any rack.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Hmmm... I know those are the racks you asked to see but I was expecting a different kind of picture.

2009 JKU
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
Hmmm... I know those are the racks you asked to see but I was expecting a different kind of picture.
I second that!

IT Professional, home brewer, meat smoker and Jeep owner!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post

Me too! Really disappointed! <sigh>

2010 Rubion Unlimited, 17x8 Ultra Drifter wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 285/70R/17 tires, Ace Rock Rails, River Raider Evap Skid plate, Smilin Bob's Breather Extension Kit, Dirty Dog 4x4 Cargo/Pet Divider, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, JK-RIGRIP front A-pillar grab handles, custom front grill screen, Daystar Upper Dash Panel
post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Rock God

Keep in mind that the JK is a body on frame construction designed to let the body float independently of the frame. I just don't see how stress failures won't happen when you tie the body to the frame with a rigid structure like a steel rack. After time, something has to give and more then likely it will be the sheet metal around the windshield mounting location.

If you look at AEV's rear bumper you will see they anticipated the "body on frame" movement by engineering a saddle for the arm to move without creating stress on the rear gate.

The companies that manufacture this style of rack really need to think about how they are mounted.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 01-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
The companies that manufacture this style of rack really need to think about how they are mounted.
I can only speak to Gobi racks. There is natural flex in the support bars and also a plastic bushing where the rear support attaches to rear tower supports (where it pivots). Also the rear brackets attach to the frame and then clamp to the pinch seam, if anything the point of failure would be there and not the windshield.

With 100s of JK/TJ/LJ and YJ racks sold and hundreds of thousands of road and trail miles Gobi has never had a customer with any issues reported.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #12 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
I can only speak to Gobi racks. There is natural flex in the support bars and also a plastic bushing where the rear support attaches to rear tower supports (where it pivots). Also the rear brackets attach to the frame and then clamp to the pinch seam, if anything the point of failure would be there and not the windshield.

With 100s of JK/TJ/LJ and YJ racks sold and hundreds of thousands of road and trail miles Gobi has never had a customer with any issues reported.
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that Gobi has thought the issue through.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode