sport viability - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

sport viability

ok ima couple months out from getting my jeep finaly..

Im looking to do a small lift,
35s
front & rear bumper swap
Rear tire carrier
and lights

i want something i can trail ride and light to mid crawling.. would like to go to moab and have a good time..

so is a sport fiable for it or is it worth it to spend the money on a rubi (alot of extra money)

i know this can turn into a flame but its a real question bc its gonna be my 1st new car... and being military thats a Big thing so please help me out

I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with it. REV:6.8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

First off, every time you call a Jeep a car, God kills a kitten. Save the kittens, man!

Now, as far as X vs Rubicon... it really just depends on your final plans. If you're sure you'll never go above 35's, then go for the Rubicon. You'll be glad you did. You'll have the lockers, stronger t-case, and a front disco right off the lot. However, if you think you're gonna go crazy with it down the road (like so many of us do), then go for the X. It'll run the 35's just fine and you'll have less money into it which will make it nice when you decide to go for the D60's and huge tires.

Good luck with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

forgive the car reference.. and i was thinking about going 37 military wheels but haven't decided im not going to go real crazy with it bc it will be a dd as well

I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with it. REV:6.8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, mine's a DD, too. Have fun with it. The hardest part is the look ahead. You figure that 35's or 37's will be big enough, but then you get them and just wanna go bigger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

I think those 37” Military MTR’s are real heavy and wouldn’t want to put them on a D30 but I know there are guys running 37’s on the D30’s. Wrangler Sports are plenty capable, just depending on what your wheeling locales are and your style. For running rocks and Moab lockers are worth it. Do your research and enjoy.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
JPK
Rock God

You can have a blast in Moab with a stock Jeep. Lots of fun trails and the stock sport is very capable. Look at Fins and Things for example. I ran that with an open diffed Sport that had a lift and 35's. It would have done ok without the lift.

But... I am a fan of the Rubicon package.

Either Rubicon or Sport, there is no rush, stock both are very capable, lots more capable than many realize.

35" tires are great whether you go Sport or Rubicon. With the Sport's available 3.73 gears you can re-gear when you decide you want to, with the Rubicon's available 4.10's you won't need to re-gear.

Going 37's is easier with the Rubicon.

Whatever you do, don't do a cheap, incomplete lift, get a whole suspension system. Many to choose from, my favorite is AEV. Plenty capable off road and great ride and better than stock handling on the road.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 01-23-2012 at 04:07 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Wheeler

What are your economic needs? How hard is it going to be for you to pay the difference? You have or want a family in the next 5 years?

There are a lot more important things than owning a Rubicon, don't sacrifice 5 or 6 years of your life if you are going to strugle paying for it.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i can make a rubi work if its worth it.. the d44 front ant 41t seem to be the BIG trade off between the sport and rubi if i can have the fun i want and Play with upgrading teh sport a lil then i can go that route if its overall just a better deal in the longrun to get a rubi then ok.. i, not looking for a massive crawler rig but would like to play @ moab a bit with a lift and 35s or so

post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 AM
JPK
Rock God

Here is what I would do, for whatever that is worth...

1. Get the Unlimited Rubicon auto with 4.10 gears.
2. Get the AFE exhaust Y pipe replacement so your front drive shaft will clear.
3. Get an AEV 3.5" suspension, which is complete, not too expensive, well engineered and provides better than oem slolom and skid pad performance, even with 35" BFG KM2 tires. Great ride on the road and crappy gravel and two tracks (and disconnecting your sway bar will improve off road ride as well.) Plenty capable off road and for the use you describe. Comes with the ProCal unit for adjusting the transmission ad computer for proper tire size ...
4. Do one of: a. put 35's on the factory Rubicon wheels and use Spider Trax hub centric spacers to reduce effective backspacing so the tires don't run the suspension components or fender wells, b. sell the Rubicon wheels and tires to someone who bought a Sport and use the proceeds to off set the purchase of your favorite, properly backspaced wheels and 35" tires.

Call it good and use the Jeep for the next five or ten years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode