Help me choose a new bumper, please? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Which of the three bumpers would you choose?
PureJeep Barebonez Combo 4 15.38%
Poison Spyder BFH 20 76.92%
Warn Rock Crawler Stubby 0 0%
Keep the stock bumper, eat two pounds of bacon, wash it down with lots of beer. 5 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Help me choose a new bumper, please?

Okay, so I posted up another poll about removing the crash bar since mine is damaged and the general consensus is to remove it which I will. That leads me to this poll. I will replace my customized stubby stock bumper with aftermarket finally. I have narrowed it down to three choices based on the following criteria.

Stubby style.
Winch capable.
Lightweight.
Strong.
Around 400.00 (my budget)
Light hoop (optional)

Originally, I had it narrowed to two and was bouncing back and forth until Marcus threw a third option into the mix.

Marcus added the PureJeep Barebonez and it pretty much fits the bill for the above criteria, at first I didn't like it until I saw a few pictures of it completely set up and then reconsidered it.

I know Planman has this bumper and swears by it, seeing the wheeling he does adds credence to its durability and that it just works. I would just like to see some more pictures of it without a winch (won't have a winch until later in the year) and from the profile to see how the light hoop sits. Otherwise that seems to be the one I am leaning towards.

The BFH, what can I say? It's a beautiful piece of metal, but, way too much of a permanent commitment to the design when you cut off the frame horns to mount it. There would be no deviation from the design if you change your mind about the type of wheeling you do so this one is still surrounded by doubt.

The Warn Rock Crawler Stubby is a really nice design, will allow me to keep my factory fogs, and adds built in Hi-Lift slots for safely lifting with the front bumper. That's a nice feature.

They're all nice bumpers and two of them don't have a whole lot of exposure so I am asking for anyone who has the PureJeep or the Warn to post up pictures and experience. Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Rock God

I cut off the edges of the crash bar. I haven't got around to flipping the electronic swaybar and cutting off the entire crash bar. I have an Expedition One skid to run when I cut it off.

The PJ bumper is great for how I use it.

If I didn't have the 1" body lift and a PowerPlant winch, I'd be running a PS BFH front bumper with Brawler bar.

Here are pics of the PJ bumper (with a 1" body lift):

With a Warn M8000 winch:

With a Warn PowerPlant:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the BFH and love it, as long as you dont mind cutting the frame, you won't regret it.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Love the BFH, looks great.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm still trying to convince my self to cut the fame,,,,But I love that BFH bumper!
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Granite Guru

I went with an OR-Fab when I was in your shoes. Mainly because I heard great things about them and... I got a good deal. You could slap a winch on it. And the sucker is made in the USA. (But I think they are on the heavy side just a bit...)

Everyone tried to talk me into the BFH. And do not get me wrong I love that freaking thing. If I could run poison spyder all around I freaking would. They make great stuff. Holds up, looks great, and... yea. It's some of the best shit you can buy for these guys. But I am not sure how long I am going to be holding onto the 08 for now, and I just could not justify cutting the frame. But hey man, that is just me... you maybe different. If you are, go for the BFH.

I have heard pretty good things about the Warn one surprisingly, but for what you get, its a little small (compared to what you pay...)

So I would go BFH (if you will cut) if not... then purejeep. I know a bunch of guys here on the forum run them and love em'

But again, it's up to you man. It's your Jeep, do what you want! Good luck!

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you want to cut, BFH.

No cut barebones, but cut the crash bar (I hate that thing)

Personally cutting was no big deal to me. After drilling holes in for the body armor I figured I might has well make it all mine.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #8 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Thank you Planman for taking the time to post those pictures, answered my questions about the PureJeep just by browsing your photos.

Thank you everyone so far for adding to the decision, one of the may reasons I can't get enough of this joint.

The BFH is still at the bottom of the list due to the frame horn mod. If they made that bumper like they do the Brawler Lite at its current price point, I'd already have it on its way. That's what makes this decision hard. PSC makes Jeep art for sure.

The PureJeep is the least expensive of all my current options and it looks good. The only thing I don't care for is the top portion showing the frame rails so much unlike bumpers like the BFH, Shaffers, Warn, HighRock, Etc. Another one that has caught my attention is the Bestop/Highrock Stubby. Doesn't seem like anyone here has one but it seems like a nice design and the price is right, but it's probably fresh off the boat from China.

Once again, thanks everyone, keep posting if you have something to add!

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What about jcr new slimlines?

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #10 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Cut that sucker! I don't modify vehicles for what "someone else" might want if I sell it. Enjoy it, if bfh is what you want, do it!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

Why not the PSC brawler lite? It offers everything you want and don't need to cut the frame plus its great looking... I took mine to a fab shop and had a custom stinger put on

88 Ford kingpin D60 front axle(35 spline inners and outter Eaton E locker 5.38 gears)
14 bolt rear axle
37/13.50 Mud Grapplers
Thx JKO for the build help

Last edited by Grim jeeper; 01-22-2012 at 11:44 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim jeeper View Post
Why not the PSC brawler lite? It offers everything you want and don't need to cut the frame plus its great looking... I took mine to a fab shop and had a custom stinger put on
Budget is the largest issue. I'm building this thing on a pretty tight budget. The BFH is almost 200 dollars less, 200 more dollars in my pocket is little less than halfway to a decent winch.

Quote:
post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Its not on your list... but my favorite bumper is one that RockKrawler made for themselves. They currently haven't started production yet, but when they do... I'm buying one.

If you can't wait, the closest one to it, in my opinion, is made by Poison Spyder

2010 Rubion Unlimited, 17x8 Ultra Drifter wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 285/70R/17 tires, Ace Rock Rails, River Raider Evap Skid plate, Smilin Bob's Breather Extension Kit, Dirty Dog 4x4 Cargo/Pet Divider, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, JK-RIGRIP front A-pillar grab handles, custom front grill screen, Daystar Upper Dash Panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode