Anyone have an ARB CKMTA12? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Anyone have an ARB twin air compressor - CKMTA12?

Folks, anyone out there have the new ARB CKMTA12 twin cylinder air compressor? If you do, how did you mount it? I saw this article where they mounted the thing on a custom bracket in the engine bay. Obviously this wasn't an off the shelf install.

So anyway, if you've got one where did you mount the thing? One of the thoughts I had was on the tailgate, but that's just a blue-sky idea. No idea if it would work.

The other option is the Dominion Off Road/Woods compressor setup. The idea is that the compressor setup have enough airflow to be able to run airtools on the trail. As I understand it the ARB can do this straight out of the box. With the addition of a storage tank it'll run higher flow air tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB USA website
Applications:
  • Pneumatic supply and electrical control for ARB Air Locker(s). (Air Locker Manifold Kit #171503 required)
  • Rapid inflation of small, medium and large tires.
  • Air tools rated up to 85LPM [3CFM] @ 6Bar [90PSI] continuous supply.
  • Air tools rated higher than 85LPM [3CFM] @ 6Bar [90PSI] using an optional air tank suitable to the run time requirements
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheeler Mag
We were able to easily remove and tighten the wheel lug nuts at our own pace with no lag thanks in part to our preexisting 2.5-gallon air tank and the pumps output of nearly 3 cfm at 100 psi.
Seems pretty good, but the Dominion setup is pretty turn-key, which is pretty good too.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ipe; 01-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

I like these ARB compressors. I am curious as well as I can't decide on an OBA setup.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #3 of 21 Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Rock God

I've got it, and spent some time head scratching on install. I ended up mounting it under passenger seat. Very pleased, it stays warm and dry and its centrally located for airing tires. I will be adding a 2.5 gallon tank soon. This compressor will air up my 35's from 10psi to 25psi in under five minutes (all four)

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Good to know. How noisy is it inside the cabin when its running? My current piece of crap MV50 would be deafening if it was running inside. Just wondering what it'll be like. Thanks.

post #5 of 21 Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Rock God

Hmm...you know a compressor is running, but as i'm always outside the jeep when its on I don't pay much attention. The gf doesn't seem to mind it...

post #6 of 21 Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Rock God

Nwapache, did you consider any other mounting options, and if so and rejected them, why? My tub is lined and I hose mine out after every wheeling trip, so mounting under the seat isn't a good option. I'm going to see if it will fit behind the dash above either the driver or passenger's feet. If that doesn't work than I'll probably mount it on the wheel well and build a metal bracket over it for protection.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
post #7 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwapache View Post
The gf doesn't seem to mind it...
I bet she doesn't mind...LMAO!!

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Wheeler

HI All,
I have a Warn VTC compressor mounted in my '89 YJ Wrangler. Folks, this is a great compressor. As fast as the gas station! You might consider it.

Sparky
post #9 of 21 Old 06-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Wheeler

Here is where I mounted mine. It's mounted on an eBay Molle panel that I modified a little. This compressor is saweet!

post #10 of 21 Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Granite Guru

I mounted mine on the drivers side rear wheel well. Love this compressor and pretty happy with the mounting location.

Brent
post #11 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't know why people are worried about mounting them inside the Jeep under the seat and hosing it out when most mount them in the engine compartment anyways. What's the difference, wet is wet.

Cool dry air inside just seems a lot more practical to me.
Miine= inside under the pass seat on a bracket above the floor and it works like a charm and mounted in a space that I would never use otherwise.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
I don't know why people are worried about mounting them inside the Jeep under the seat and hosing it out when most mount them in the engine compartment anyways. What's the difference, wet is wet.

Cool dry air inside just seems a lot more practical to me.
Miine= inside under the pass seat on a bracket above the floor and it works like a charm and mounted in a space that I would never use otherwise.
Noise, how loud is this ARB compressor?
post #13 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well, I guess that depends. I still have my e-lockers so it doesn't turn on unless I need the compressor for something else. To me it's not that loud and I would prefer it be inside the cab and out of the elements in cool air. Those air filters can not be good in the elements getting covered with drity air and mudd etc.

Not to mention the compressor is not always 150+ degrees like under the hood.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well, I guess that depends. I still have my e-lockers so it doesn't turn on unless I need the compressor for something else. To me it's not that loud and I would prefer it be inside the cab and out of the elements in cool air. Those air filters can not be good in the elements getting covered with drity air and mudd etc.

Not to mention the compressor is not always 150+ degrees like under the hood.
Yes, hot under hood. I was thinking noise when running lockers, of course it should not run much with the lockers.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Imo, even with air lockers, i would still keep i under the seat the way I have it. I have pics on a thread here somewhere.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Imo, even with air lockers, i would still keep i under the seat the way I have it. I have pics on a thread here somewhere.
I will try to look for the pictures.

Found it
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71777

Last edited by Chicken Corners; 06-17-2012 at 07:40 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Wheeler

It's not too loud. I have elockers so it's only on when I'm outside the vehicle. I may move mine in the future, but for now it's out of the way and easily accessible.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Wheeler

How do you like the compressor so far? Is it pretty fast at airing up? I'm thinking of getting it.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the single mounted under the hood. Based on its performance I went with a Viair dual 480C setup with a 2.5 gallon tank. Runs 200psi cuts on at 165 and fills back up in about 45 seconds or so. Takes about 3.5 minutes to fill tank from 0.
Runs small impacts fine and airs up my 37 from 10 to 28 right at a minute each.

You smell that?
post #20 of 21 Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Rock God

I transferred my unit from my 2dr to my 4dr. It's a beast, and handles 37"s almost as quickly as the 35"s.

post #21 of 21 Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Rock God

We run them in our JK's and love them. We also have a bracket made specifically for them.

http://www.carolinametalmasters.com/...or-fixed-mount

Mounting them under the seat is ideal because they stay cool, clean, and out of the way. There is also a rubber grommet under the seat that makes running air lines and power super easy. They are not terribly loud and most of the time when they are being used you are outside the vehicle.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode