Smittybuilt G.E.A.R. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Smittybuilt G.E.A.R.

I should be receiving my tailgate G.E.A.R. tomorrow after it bring on back order from q-tec for almost a month. Anybody have any advice on installing it? I imagine its fairly straight forward but there is always room for improvement. I'm also interested in seeing how everyone had theirs set up, what gear you are loading in it, and any improvements you've made to the system. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

BAREFOOT. The "REAL" way to drive a Jeep!!

*******KEEP CALM & CHIVE ON!!!*******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Get better self tapping screws and understand it will fade with sun exposure (top off).

Sent from my chocolate starfish at the speed of smell

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Whats wrong with the original screws? What new screws do you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

got mine in Sept and put it on. the big bag holds a 20'snatch strap, tree strap 2 shackles and a snatch block. the small bag holds a bunch of smaller stuff and is really roomy. even with the 20lbs of weight in the bags, the backing pad is not sagging.

Install was easy but definately upgrade the screws. busted off 2 on the second hole and had to drill out the holes.

love the extra storage tho

09 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Zone Offroad 4" lift with 35" KM2
Superwinch LP8500 in ARB front bumper
And too FEW Lights!!
post #5 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Rock God

I totally dig those. I saw someplace they had a deal where you can buy the upper roll bar set and get the tailgate set free.

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

The screws that come with it are fine you just have to pre drill the holes. It installs pretty easy. Start with drilling 2 corners then put in the screws so you can pull it tight and get the rest of the holes lined up where they need to be drilled. Dip the screws in some oil before you screw them in and they will go in much easier.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Rock God

I just installed mine. The screws it comes with worked just fine. I pulled it tight and got it where I wanted it, taped in place. Marked all the holes, and drilled them. Screws went right in. I haven't put anything in it yet but it does look good!

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #8 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Rock God

Pics please
post #9 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Granite Guru

I just got mine too and will be installing it hopefully this week. While on the trail it'll be used for tools, winch stuff, etc. In daily use, I'll be loading it up with baby stuff for our little girl thats due next month. Bottles, clothing changes, diapers, etc
post #10 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I'm PISSED with Quadratec! My G.E.A.R. was ordered early december and its been on back order. Finally got an email saying its been shipped. Double checked today thru the q-tec live chat and they made a mistake. It won't be in for another 3 WEEKS! I can understand things going out of stock around the holidays and all but it shouldn't take 2 months for you to restock your inventory. Canceling my order with qtec. A couple clicks on Amazon and my GEAR will be here thursday! Oh, and quadratec is down one more customer! :finger:

post #11 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Spartan View Post
So I'm PISSED with Quadratec! My G.E.A.R. was ordered early december and its been on back order. Finally got an email saying its been shipped. Double checked today thru the q-tec live chat and they made a mistake. It won't be in for another 3 WEEKS! I can understand things going out of stock around the holidays and all but it shouldn't take 2 months for you to restock your inventory. Canceling my order with qtec. A couple clicks on Amazon and my GEAR will be here thursday! Oh, and quadratec is down one more customer! :finger:

I ordered mine through amazon. Came in 2 days
post #12 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Granite Guru

This doesn't affect most of you, but Quadratec charges a LOT to ship to Hawaii. Sometimes the cost of shipping is equal to the cost of the item.
I just look through their website, see what I want, get the manufacturer's part number and order it from Amazon. Flat $10 to my front door.

Dumb way to run a business. A couple of other Jeep parts places do the same thing.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Rock God

How satisfied are you guys with these g.e.a.r. products? I like the seat covers but 100 per seat is nuts.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

I would have ordered through amazon too since you know it would have been stocked. Also 4 Wheel Parts always seems to have Smittybilt stuff in stock too. Sorry bro, but this is ONE of the reasons I don’t order from Q-Tec.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #15 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Wheeler

I have the G.E.A.R. tailgate and overhead console. The equiped screws work but you MUST drill out the holes. Its really hard to pull tight so have someone help you. If you have a factory sub make sure you take that into account when deciding placement. If you are getting the over head console and you and dont have a 2011 or 2012 but you have a hard top... have fun with wind noise. In the 2011 and 2012 models they added an extra clamp on the front middle of the two pannel that clamps down ontop a factory bracket. To install the overhead console on the 2007-2010 the braket and clamp isnt there and its going to puch the tops up and create alot of wind noise. Sonce I have the 2011 I removed the factory braket and clamp. using the existing bolt that attached the clamp to the roof insert i drilled a hole in the mounting bracket for the overhead console and used the bolt so secure the console bracket the hard top which suck the hard tops back down and got rid of the wind noise.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Rock God

I have an '11 will the overhead work/install on a stock Jeep? Or do you need some kind of overhead item installed first?

post #17 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCourtney View Post
This doesn't affect most of you, but Quadratec charges a LOT to ship to Hawaii. Sometimes the cost of shipping is equal to the cost of the item.
I just look through their website, see what I want, get the manufacturer's part number and order it from Amazon. Flat $10 to my front door.

Dumb way to run a business. A couple of other Jeep parts places do the same thing.

That's why I buy through vendors on here or 4 Wheel Parts/4WD.com/winch depot, etc that are sister companies under TransAmerican since they all ship to the Waipahu store.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have to agree with some of the other guys on here. Amazon had mine in stock and I got it in about 4 days. On the install make sure you align it to allow for the fabric to stretch and use better screws than what is provided. I didnt mark mine well enough and I have a slight wrinkle in it where it does not sit flat. Mine has been on for about a year and it has faded. Finally dont put anything heavy in the big bag unless you mount it up high on the webbing since it will sag and get caught on stuff. (It made my liner curl up) Really I dont have any complaints about it at all, most of what I own is military stuff so it will mount on the webbing I keep most of my first aid stuff in the small bag, mount my knife and some other stuff on the webbing and I use the big bag for recovery items and store it under the back seat.

JD
post #19 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
That's why I buy through vendors on here or 4 Wheel Parts/4WD.com/winch depot, etc that are sister companies under TransAmerican since they all ship to the Waipahu store.
I stopped by that store today. Not much stock but the price to ship stuff was not bad.
Price of paradise.
Along with the country's highest electricity rates,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode