High-Center Recovery Video - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

High-Center Recovery Video

Here is a video of one of the recoveries we did over Christmas week. This was a relatively simple high-center. This was not staged, but we used the footage to show the decision-making process of it, to, hopefully, give some pointers to folks who haven't had to deal with it--yet! .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=33aypiPxXvs

We are holding a Recovery Clinic this Sunday 1/22/12 at Table Mesa to cover topics like this and much more. Check out www.BarlowJeepSchool.com , our Facebook page, or the thread: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66735

Happy trails!

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Coonasian

Garage

I love your videos! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So that's how I've been messing up. I always gas it to about 65 when I come to ledges like that.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice video. But I don't understand why you blocked-off the obstacle for others. Not only does it ruin the fun but it violates trail etiquette and tread lightly tenants. Was this on your private land?

Personally, I'd be really pissed if I went off-roading and found someone blocked off every obstacle just because a stock Rubi got a little stuck. In a few months that driver is going to be back with bigger tires and a lift and will be denied the satisfaction of succeeding where he previously failed. As for other "small" rigs, drivers need to learn the limits of their vehicles and how to choose lines they can handle.

Getting stuck is part of the learning process, which is why one should never wheel alone.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Rock God

^i gotta agree with this.

simply because a stock level vehicle gets stuck doesnt mean the person in the stock vehicle should dictate what the rest of offroaders should do. if they get stuck then they get the opportunity to do a recovery like you guys did.

that said, very nice vid on recovery.

Last edited by damon.l; 01-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Nice video. But I don't understand why you blocked-off the obstacle for others. Not only does it ruin the fun but it violates trail etiquette and tread lightly tenants. Was this on your private land?

Personally, I'd be really pissed if I went off-roading and found someone blocked off every obstacle just because a stock Rubi got a little stuck. In a few months that driver is going to be back with bigger tires and a lift and will be denied the satisfaction of succeeding where he previously failed. As for other "small" rigs, drivers need to learn the limits of their vehicles and how to choose lines they can handle.

Getting stuck is part of the learning process, which is why one should never wheel alone.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Something akin to that question was asked on another forum. I am a TreadLightly trainer, so I am actually glad that this came up. Typically, all we do after a recovery is clean up any spills and/or remove any rocks that were stacked for recovery purposes. I didn't explain in the video that this particular trail is under commercial permit and is required to be kept to a somewhat strict state of "safety" as it is a very popular "starter" trail for 4x4's, ATV's, etc. in the area. Partly, it was a safety issue, and partly, it is a Tread Lightly issue. Where this Jeep (and several other vehicles recently) became stuck has been blocked off for some time, but a recent rock fall there allowed vehicles to drive off that side of the trail. I was simply repairing and marking the trail to conform with current management thereof.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Rock God

if thats the case then it makes sense. good job.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Another great video!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode