lift question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

lift question

my first go around with a jk, picked up a 4 door last week and have a trailmaster 4.5" kit but as I was doing some research it looks like I may need a new front driveshaft. Has anyone done a 4.5" lift and been able to get away without one? I am not going to be beating on it to hard but it will get wheeled at least 3's and maybe some 4's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

You will definitely need a new driveshaft, you'll bottom out the ball-and-race CV joint on the stock driveshaft with that much lift. If it is a 2012 you'll also need to relocate your exhaust crossover because the driveshaft will bottom out on the exhaust pipe, there's a couple of kits for doing that in a bolt-on manner or any competent exhaust shop can easily bend a new pipe. This will likely hurt power slightly since the exhaust system on the Pentastar is tuned to exactly maximize scavenging with the VVT system, but the 2012 has such a ridiculous amount of power on tap that you likely won't notice.

One question: Why so much lift? Add a 2" lift and flat fenders (Bushwacker, Xenon, or etc.), trim the rear pinch seam slightly, and 35's fit just fine and won't rub anything at all. Are you wanting bigger than 35's? I'll just note that the Rubicon was in nasty shape this year, but folks on 35's had no real problem with the trail...
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

got a heck of a deal on it, but if I am going to have to ad all these extra parts to make it work, I am not sure I am going to go that route. I have no plans of running a tire bigger than a 37 and thats years down the road. I have some 35's I was planning on running. I guess I am probably going to sell this kit and get a 2.5" spring kit unless it will require driveshafts. Mine is an 07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

For 35's you can check out the 2.5" systems on the market and for 37's, you certainly can go with alot of 3.5" systems on the market. Let us know if you have any questions about our products.

Rock Krawler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode