Thinking of going fenderless - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thinking of going fenderless

How many people run or have run fenderless? I'm thinking about it very seriously.

I don't like the big black fenders and giant factory bumper. I am going to stubby the bumper and thought about trimming the fenders but also thought that just pulling them would be much faster.

I live in Texas so if anybody knows of a fender law here let me know. Pics and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

there are a lot of people that do it, go for it, i love the look but hate the ugly pinch seams
post #3 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Def checks the local laws to make sure you wont get pulled over.

It is the easiest way to go but kind of a pain in the ass when it comes to driving on dirty roads as the entire side of your Jeep will quickly be covered in crap.

Here is mine currently fenderless:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I ran around like this for many moons:

My personal opinion is that it looked better like this than it does now. (Edit: I really, really feel this way looking at it now.)

I've never been pulled over and I didn't have flares, third brake light, front plate, license plate light, marker lights on the front, ummm...you name it. Never been messed with in my travels and I have been in front of, behind, next to, and nearly on top of cop cars in it. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Marcus, did you remove the rears and then cut the fronts down to damn near nothing? Also, what did you use to paint the pinch seams?

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
post #6 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM
JKO Addict!

not to highjack but Marcus how did you paint your grill? Did you tape it or you something different? TIA

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachJeep View Post
Marcus, did you remove the rears and then cut the fronts down to damn near nothing? Also, what did you use to paint the pinch seams?
Basically yes.

Here is a picture next to Bodyguy's JK. His were better than mine IMO:

I used Rustoleum bedliner in the aerosol can on EVERYTHING on my JK. The rear fender wells all the way out to where the tub becomes flat on the front and rear are bedlined as well as the whole area underneath my body armor.

Use the GREEN 3M painter's tape and take your time masking everything off and then give it hell. That stuff will get on everything and coat the floor of your work area with a black dust. Wear a respirator if you use it.

Marcus

post #8 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
not to highjack but Marcus how did you paint your grill? Did you tape it or you something different? TIA
I taped it off very carefully and then sprayed it with the Rustoleum. Then I used a Q-Tip and brake cleaner to put the finishing touches on it.

Did that in our living room back in 2010 while drinking beer and watching football. Jennie was PISSED when she came home. LOL.

I hit her over the head with my and told her to calm down.

Marcus

post #9 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I taped it off very carefully and then sprayed it with the Rustoleum. Then I used a Q-Tip and brake cleaner to put the finishing touches on it.

Did that in our living room back in 2010 while drinking beer and watching football. Jennie was PISSED when she came home. LOL.

Marcus
too funny, i really like the look of it, i think it would look good on my mango. I might try and find one of the same color at the junk yard first tho, thanks for the help

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #10 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Remember what tools you used to pull them? I'd prefer not to tear them up so I can reinstall or sell if I want.

post #11 of 31 Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

Marcus
I'm surprised you didn't pass out from fumes

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #12 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Remember what tools you used to pull them? I'd prefer not to tear them up so I can reinstall or sell if I want.
I used a tree to pull mine off
post #13 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

I was thinking about pulling them off my white 2 door. I think Marcus just sold me.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Rock God

Been fenderless for over a year. Will never go back.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"

Last edited by Suffolk JK; 01-13-2012 at 09:03 AM.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

can anybody give me a good estimate on how long to pull the fenders and chopping the front bumper? I have to budget my time very carefully with a 19 month old son, new dog and a pregnant wife.

Thanks.

post #16 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 02:29 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
can anybody give me a good estimate on how long to pull the fenders and chopping the front bumper? I have to budget my time very carefully with a 19 month old son, new dog and a pregnant wife.

Thanks.
If you pull the flares without much care you can knock that out in about 30 minutes. If you're trying to be nice with them it'll take you some time. The clips are probably going to break either way, so I'd just grab a corner and apply pressure until they come to you. LOL

The front inner fender is held on with three or four 10mm bolts and then its
all clips from there. Don't forget to undo your marker light.

The front bumper can be a son of a bitch to get on and off. That might take some time to finish.

Marcus

post #17 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Everytime the kid naps pull a fender or two or just give him some tools to play with while your working. Might as well introduce him to some manly habits early on. Flashlights keep my boy busy for awhile.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 01-20-2012 at 02:36 PM.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

TrailMods fenders look great. Best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i could only imagine the rooster tails!!! love the look but wouldnt like that!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #20 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run fenderless, but I did put the fronts back on for the winter.

Marcus, do you have any pics of the rear fender(less) section. Either you did a hell of a job painting or it looks like you did a lot of trimming. What did you do about the foam filled holes?

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #21 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
TrailMods fenders look great. Best of both worlds.
I was actually going to try the Trailmods without the fender for a more finished look. With the inner liner the kit is like 800 bucks.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I like the look. I have too much lift to make that look work but for some its the way to go.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #23 of 31 Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Been running fenderless on the project jeep for a while. Not by choice tho. POISON SPYDER fenders going on soon!

post #24 of 31 Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVENSLAT4X4 View Post

Been running fenderless on the project jeep for a while. Not by choice tho. POISON SPYDER fenders going on soon!
I still love that Jeep.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #25 of 31 Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
I still love that Jeep.
I love the throwback styling, looks awesome!

2011 Green JK Rubicon Unlimited Purchased 10/18/2011
Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode