Internet Clubs and Liability - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Internet Clubs and Liability

It started out as a small group of guys that met on the internet from forums like this 2-4 JKs wheeling in offroad parks...

Well now we have 25-30 JK that wheel together and call themselves CJKC Cincy JK Crew.

Is there a liability issue?

Is this little club no longer a little club but rather now it needs to step up or shut up?

What are your thoughts?

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Granite Guru

I don't get what you're asking?

Are you asking if you should formalize things and involve financing with an elected treasurer and such? If so, I would say NO WAY!

You know eachother better than any random internet opinion will net you, but just remember that when you start formalizing things, it changes from a group of friends wheeling into an organization. Politics and differences of opinions become issues...

If you guys are having fun, why fix something that's not broken?

Just my $0.02

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Jeeps:

post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Granite Guru

Liability will mostly fall upon organization and the wording used when getting together for trail rides.

If you advertise the "Official Cincy JK Crew Trail Run" and someone gets injured you may have an issue. If it is just a goofy name you've given yourselves and it's not used in any form of advertising you should be fine. But remember, anyone can be sued for anything.

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The KC group started out with 5-6 and now we regularly get 15 to 20 at our monthly get togethers (sometimes more). Our facebook group now has over 90 members. We call ourselves a "not a club, club" and we aim to keep it that way. You start adding officers and dues and that is when the politics begins to creep in.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #5 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I know that it is possible to get trail insurance to cover personal liability while on the trail, if that's what you're referring to. In my club, we charge a small fee to those that go on the trail runs, the surplus is put towards event costs, like end of year parties.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ours is simple, we have a President and that's it, no officers or politics or drama. We have the normal common sense bylaws and a membership application that includes a waiver to exclude the club from liability.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

Must realize that a waiver from liability is not a waiver from lawsuit. Even with a waiver you can still end up spending money on a lawyer to prove that you waiver is lawful and enforceable.

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
post #8 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

The looser you are in terms of structure and organization the lower your liability should be. Once you start assigning rank and responsibility you have implied a certain degree of accountability. Sucks we even have to worry about these things, but you're smart for taking into consideration how litigious our society has become.

Disclaimer- I won't be held responsible for any statements I've made or will make in the future. Ha!

Last edited by Solfive; 01-12-2012 at 12:49 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yeah its just grown to a large really fun group but I am most worried about the trail "group" rides aspect of liability.

Right now we are considering being the "renegade JK" arm of a much established club that does not require our members to become members of their club. The big club is nice but they wheel everything under the sun. But they also have everything already there that we can tap into like a formal website with forums. While our Facebook page is good there is so much traffic that a topic gets hidden very quickly.

Our Crew is cool because we are all JKS and for the most part we all use them as a daily driver.

Thanks all.

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

CJKC
post #10 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

off topic, no offense meant but why JK only rides? You have to have a Jeep of some kind in our club but we'll ride with anybody that want's to go.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

No offense taken,

basically we started out as a JK "club" we let others join (basically get in our Facebook page) and ride whatever they want as long as its ok if 99% of the talk is about JKs. The group that we joined up with wheels anything and everything so there is a place for everyone.

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

CJKC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode