most stable lift kit?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

most stable lift kit??

What is the most stable lift kit (2.5-3.5" lift) for a JK Unlimited 4 door, daily driver that sees freeway speeds, stop and go and occasional trail riding (no rock crawling). with 35" tires

admittedly this is going to be somewhat of a poser jeep, as I have beat up and destroyed trucks in the past and I think I have all of that out of my system.

I'm just wanting a good looking jeep Unlimited, that will be fun off road and safe on road.

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Jeeps are like guns and you will always want to go bigger and better_7.62
Really though 35 will be overkill for "trail riding" whats your budget on a lift and what do you want out of it will play a factor in how happy you are with it. Alot of people will recommend rock krawler for offroading but if you just want to fit bigger tires look at rustysoffroad 3.25 basic kit

Message spread by Paul Revere

post #3 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

my budget is around $10,000 for all modifications after purchase of my JK.

so lift around $1500,

tires and wheels $2000

bolt on goodies $$ whatever is left $$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Granite Guru

I have the daystar 2 3/4" lift. It's a puck lift that only helps soften the ride. It allows for 35's and its cheep. Down side is its part spacer and part body lift(1"). http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_102.htm
post #5 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm running the TeraFlex 2.5 with TF 9550 shocks. I added the TF front Monster adjustable trac-bar, and TF adjustable lower front control arms. 35X12.5X15 KM2's on cheap soft 8 steelies. Goes down the road with no shimmies, shakes or problems, and has been able to handle any trail I've been willing to take it on.
JMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

If you're mostly concerned with on road ride, and just very moderate to light trails/wheeling... give AEV lifts a look. I think they're overpriced for what you get and won't work well on anything more than moderate trails, but hear the on road ride is pretty much second to none. With that being said I love the hell out of my RK lift on road and find it to be better than stock. Just thinking RK may be overkill for your purpose.

Greg
post #7 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

If you want a solid ride with a reputable company, I would highly recommend checking out the following: (most all are vendors here on JKO too)

Rock Krawler
Synergy Suspension (a.k.a. Poly Performance)
Teraflex
Old Man Emu
Clayton
and some would also say AEV if the majority of your driving is going to be on-road

With the budget that you have allocated, you might as well do it right the first time and not have to change out parts later.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
Just thinking RK may be overkill for your purpose.
That sounds like rational thinking...this is no place for that nonsense.
post #9 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
JKowners Vendor

i vote RK, When your ready give us A call, we have the lowest prices here on the west coast guaranteed. RK 2.5

Road///Race Motorsports (562)906-0080 10am-5pm PST Toll Free Order Line 855-891-1898

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

or our
post #10 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Granite Guru

I love my rock krawler i put a lot of miles on the road and as much wheeling as i can and have never had a problem . throw some bilsteins or other nice shocks on and the ride will be better than stock. Ive "knock on wood" have had no death wobble or major steering problems ect... with my rk lift. I do love it

Can't say
post #11 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Rock God

Garage
Like Teraflex a lot...

Consider the Teraflex 3" or 3.5 short arm ...

I like mine a lot. It's smooth handling on road and great for a trail rig. I run TOYO 35's and it's a sweet match not bumpy at all. Good thing about the 3.5 is that if you ever do want to do some lite rock crawling you can or if you ever sell it you'll fair better on the resale with a more diverse vehicle. If your concern is height off the ground then I would recommend a 3" or 3.5" lift with 33's. That way you could always change it up later if you change your mind. Great middle of the road lift.

Teraflex has always been excellent in customer service as well. They're happy to walk you through what your ultimate setup priorities are.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #12 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Rock God

Another vote for Rock Krawler 2.5" max travel with Bilstein 5100 shocks. The progressive front springs in the kit combined with high quality Bilstein shocks will give you a soft ride going down the road while keeping the Jeep stable through turns and off-road.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock Krawler Synergy JKS LoD Goodyear
post #13 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

How about no lift and put on some flat fenders and run your 35's. If you don't like the ride quality you have try replacing the shocks and or springs.
post #14 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru

I would really take a bit and do your own research.. i spent the good part of 3 months trying to decide.. i know you said no rock krawling but are you sure a year down the road you wont want to go out.. with your budget I would do it once and be done.. get a lift that you can build onto.. IE RK 2.5 Max travel.. dont need to concern yourself with the driveshafts for a while with it being under 3.5 "s and it is badass on the road and off and completely upgradeable for the future. The 2.5 in my humble rookie opinion is the way to go.

or to peanuts point throw a leveling kit on the jeep and some flat flares and ride around like that for awhile just to get your tires on there while you evaluate the lifts and what you want out of your jeep..

do a search on here and some of the other forums and always consider the source..

Shawn
post #15 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

If I were you I would go with the new RK 2.5 inch flex system. Basically their stock mod plus front lower adjustable control arms and extended brake lines. I currently have the stock mod and it has handled fantastic so far on and off road. I have had some steering issues, but that is certainly not a result of RK quality, which as I am sure you can tell, is second to none and everyone on this forum and elsewhere absolutely love; including myself. With your budget as you stated, $1500 for lift, that will get you the 2.5 flex system and 4 bilstein 5100's easily. I think that you will ultimately regret going with hockey pucks just to get the added height.

You never know, down the road you may find yourself trying to get out wheeling at least one weekend a month, and you will be more than happy about choosing RK. Good luck w/ your decision!

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #16 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
How about no lift and put on some flat fenders and run your 35's. If you don't like the ride quality you have try replacing the shocks and or springs.
I like that idea as well. 35s with no lift looks badass.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #17 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
I like that idea as well. 35s with no lift looks badass.
nah, I don't like the "tank" look.

and my style of off road has in the past been more of a 50 mph "Baja" style of driving.

My ADHD gets too board going slow over rocks.

In the past If I couldn't jump it, fly over it or crash through it, I went around it.

hence why I destroyed a couple of trucks before.

I think I'll just Mosey from now on.
post #18 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Wheeler

Garage

My vote is for RK as well. I have the 3.5" Max Travel suspension, but that sounds like it is more than you will ever use. I agree with most others here that you don't know what is in store for the future. I'd build something that can easily be upgraded, so that you don't waste the money you spend now. RK has just about every suspension combo that you can think of and all of them can be upgraded.

If you want to go fast while offroading, get an RK aluminum suspension and put air/speed bumps on it. Your budget can handle that. If you want something already in a complete package for going offroad fast, get the Teraflex PreRunner kit. http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-lcg-preru...uspension.html

Last edited by bo9roadking; 01-12-2012 at 10:18 AM.
post #19 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller_5.56 View Post
nah, I don't like the "tank" look.

and my style of off road has in the past been more of a 50 mph "Baja" style of driving.
Sounds like the Teraflex setup is the one for you then.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-lcg-preru...spension.html#

*Crap, looks like it is the same link as the poster above me put. Well...it is still worth looking at!
post #20 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Wheeler

I have a Teraflex 4 inch long arm lift with 37inch tires and 5:38 gear on my 09 JKU Rubicon. I can cruise on the freeway at 85mph fine, as long as its flat
post #21 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller_5.56 View Post
What is the most stable lift kit (2.5-3.5" lift) for a JK Unlimited 4 door, daily driver that sees freeway speeds, stop and go and occasional trail riding (no rock crawling). with 35" tires

admittedly this is going to be somewhat of a poser jeep, as I have beat up and destroyed trucks in the past and I think I have all of that out of my system.

I'm just wanting a good looking jeep Unlimited, that will be fun off road and safe on road.

Thanks for the advice.
An Unlimited with AEV's 3.5" suspension and 35" BF Goodrich KM2 M/T's on it beat a stock Rubicon through Chrysler's proving ground slolom course, and also on the skid pad. There is video on YouTube. Best handling suspension available. Great ride too.

AEV's suspension with mono tube Bilstien 5100's is $1624 from AEV. It is complete, no additional parts required, though if your Jeep isn't a Rubicon you may wish to purchase anti sway bar quick disconnects. You Jeep will ride better off road on crappy gravel and two tracks with the front sway bar disconnected. An extra $500 gets you Bilstien remote reservoir shocks, which you may find an attractive option if you run washboard at fast speeds. Same ride, but more resistant to the heat build up and fade/foaming.

With an AEV suspension you won't need to replace your front drive shaft, which you will have to do with any other option not using AEV's front control arm brackets, which cure lifted caster angle issues and reverse pinion angle change compared to oem or adjustable arm caster fixes.

Again, if you like blasting through the territory you may find Tera Flex pneumatic Speed Bumps a nice addition.

Getting air WILL bend your axle tubes.

If your Jeep is a 2012 you will need to purchase an AFE Y pipe to ensure clearence between the front drive shaft and the exhaust on suspension droop. If a pre-2012 auto, you will probably need AEV to rebuild your front drive shaft to a thinner profile to clear the auto trans pan, but is cheaper than a new shaft.

Model year, auto vs. manual and current axle ratios will determine if you need to re-gear for 35's.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 01-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.
post #22 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
An Unlimited with AEV's 3.5" suspension and 35" BF Goodrich KM2 M/T's on it beat a stock Rubicon through Chrysler's proving ground slolom course, and also on the skid pad. There is video on YouTube. Best handling suspension available. Great ride too.

AEV's suspension with mono tube Bilstien 5100's is $1624 from AEV. It is complete, no additional parts required, though if your Jeep isn't a Rubicon you may wish to purchase anti sway bar quick disconnects. You Jeep will ride better off road on crappy gravel and two tracks with the front sway bar disconnected. An extra $500 gets you Bilstien remote reservoir shocks, which you may find an attractive option if you run washboard at fast speeds. Same ride, but more resistant to the heat build up and fade/foaming.

With an AEV suspension you won't need to replace your front drive shaft, which you will have to do with any other option not using AEV's front control arm brackets, which cure lifted caster angle issues and reverse pinion angle change compared to oem or adjustable arm caster fixes.

Again, if you like blasting through the territory you may find Tera Flex pneumatic Speed Bumps a nice addition.

Getting air WILL bend your axle tubes.

If your Jeep is a 2012 you will need to purchase an AFE Y pipe to ensure clearence between the front drive shaft and the exhaust on suspension droop. If a pre-2012 auto, you will probably need AEV to rebuild your front drive shaft to a thinner profile to clear the auto trans pan, but is cheaper than a new shaft.

Model year, auto vs. manual and current axle ratios will determine if you need to re-gear for 35's.

JPK
Amen

This is why Airpark installs a ton of Aev=Best on ride/offroad handling!

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #23 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Amen

This is why Airpark installs a ton of Aev=Best on ride/offroad handling!
You wouldn't have a link to the Chrysler proving grounds test would you? The ones where one of the test drivers is wearing a tie?
post #24 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

You do not need a new front driveshaft with a non AEV lift. The drop brackets have nothing to do with driveshaft angles. The put the control arm angles back to factory spec. I've had a Teraflex 3" longarm (that have me 4" of lift rear/4.2" front)for 45k miles and still have my stock front shaft. Yes I wheel it hard, yes I DD it as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #25 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
TJT
Rock God

You will be able to get by for a little while without an aftermarket front drive shaft, but you will eventually need one. And you don't want your OEM shaft to fail you away from help.

Reason is: The boot is likely to get ripped off by catching on the transmission skid or transmission pan itself and the axle moves slightly left to right. Even a small tear can let dirt and debris in while letting oil and grease escape.

We installed an AEV 3.5" lift on a buddy's wrangler and he tore the boot off within 20 minutes of trail use. Not an aggressive trail either.

The AEV lifts are great out of the box. But be cautious that you may outgrow it and begin to want more from your lift as your needs change. In my opinion in today's market there are a lot of great lifts out there at very reasonable prices. The AEV kit is great if you want a pick-it and stick-it approach. But when the smoke clears and your doing more trails, you'll be buying something else. I learned this the hard way and I'm paying for it.

Last edited by TJT; 01-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode