Pics of damaged oil pans?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Pics of damaged oil pans??

Looking at how people have damaged their pans, crushed, torn, dented, pierced - what? Anyone have pictures?

Message spread by Paul Revere

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't have pics, but I have destroyed 2. Love him or hate him, but benchmark designs has the best replacement pan.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

That is kinda where my train of thought is. I will not order from him. So I was thinking about welding on a rancho cover, but then I go to thinking about just welding my own metal to the stock pan. So Thats how I got to wondering what people actually do to damage theirs.

Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

The last one I ordered from John got here in a week (about 2 years ago). Since I have already torn up the pan on my '11 I am going to give it a shot and order from him again. I know his customer service is nearly non existent, but damn his pans are tough. I should have pulled it off my 2dr when I sold it.

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Yet another reason I believe there is no need for a full on tranny/oil pan skid. All that really needs protecting (esp if u have a manual) is the oil pan. And even then, I have never heard of anyone actuallly puncturing a hole or literally destroying in on the trail to the point of needing a tow home. Dented, scraped; yes. Another company besides the seemingly non existant benchmark needs to step up and offer
an HD replacement. I dont think I could ever actually give that dude
my money, I have heard way to many horror stories.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series

Last edited by rdlynch2; 01-11-2012 at 03:48 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
The last one I ordered from John got here in a week (about 2 years ago). Since I have already torn up the pan on my '11 I am going to give it a shot and order from him again. I know his customer service is nearly non existent, but damn his pans are tough. I should have pulled it off my 2dr when I sold it.
I would email or contact him directly before you order. I recenty spoke with a person who APPARENTLY has been waiting over 11 months for a front bumper that his card has already been charged. He has called and emailed numerous times to no avail. This dude has at least 5 complaints filed against him documented on the better business bureau website. I looked it up. Not sure how he is getting away with what looks like blatant robbery but....as long as people, like the before mentioned, have the attitude of " im gonna cut my losses and move on" he will continue to get away with it.

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #7 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Yet another reason I believe there is no need for a full on tranny/oil pan skid. All that really needs protecting (esp if u have a manual) is the oil pan. And even then, I have never heard of anyone actuallly puncturing a hole or literally destroying in on the trail to the point of needing a tow home. Dented, scraped; yes.
The oil pan is less of a concern than the trans pan. Look at where the oil pan is located and ask yourself if you're REALLY going to get it so far into the shit that you'll risk hitting the oil pan. However, with a stocker you can knock the snot out of the trans pan in a parking lot and what the factory puts on there now is a bloddy joke. Numerous combination oil pan & trans skids available from good vendors, everything from a bolt on that uses the stock (POS) crossmember, to full on crossmember/skid replacement.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The oil pan is less of a concern than the trans pan. Look at where the oil pan is located and ask yourself if you're REALLY going to get it so far into the shit that you'll risk hitting the oil pan. However, with a stocker you can knock the snot out of the trans pan in a parking lot and what the factory puts on there now is a bloddy joke. Numerous combination oil pan & trans skids available from good vendors, everything from a bolt on that uses the stock (POS) crossmember, to full on crossmember/skid replacement.
I don't know... my skid row eng/trans skid has some nice scratches right under the oild pan. There is only about 1" or less clearance between the oil pan and the skidplate. The scratches go into the metal, not just the powdercoating. as a plus, it gets rid of the stock auto trans skid that many driveshafts hit under full flex when disconnected.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I see them hit all the time, some to the point of being pierced or havering to be trail-repaired or towed. I have smashed two myself. Skids are great, but they are a bank-roll for the companies that make them. Sure R&D cost money, but generally the are flat/press brake formed cold roll. Very easy to manufacture and sell for way to much. I wish someone other than benchmark made a replacement pan, but bottom line is they won't because the price point has been set and there isn't enough margin for them.

Now I am not knocking skids, if that's the way you want to go there are some great products out there. If you are like me and concerned about weight and like to keep things simple a replacement pan (heavy duty) is a better choice.

Sent from my chocolate starfish at the speed of smell

post #10 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
JKO Addict!

One of several things I damaged on Liberty:

I would love a Benchmark Designs Oil Pan but I am not going to attempt to deal with a company that has had so many complaints.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
One of several things I damaged on Liberty:

I would love a Benchmark Designs Oil Pan but I am not going to attempt to deal with a company that has had so many complaints.
This is what I was looking for, thanks!
No way shape or form - even if hell froze over will I deal with benchmark.
Skids are nice, but are heavy and expensive.
I know someone last year pierced their oil pan so I want to make mine stronger.
I am just trying to decide on buying the $150 rancho skid or welding some plate to the stock pan myself. Decisions decisions...

post #12 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have a manual sO the tranny pan is of no concern for me. Thats why I was saying if you have a manual, all that is really necessary is something, in the very rare event that a rock or sonething, is able to reach up far enough to destroy your oil pan to the point leaking/puncturing. I think the rancho glue on one is a good alternative to the benchmark. The only marks I have on my oil pan thus far are minor scratches from tree branches and such

post #13 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I see them hit all the time, some to the point of being pierced or havering to be trail-repaired or towed. I have smashed two myself. Skids are great, but they are a bank-roll for the companies that make them. Sure R&D cost money, but generally the are flat/press brake formed cold roll. Very easy to manufacture and sell for way to much. I wish someone other than benchmark made a replacement pan, but bottom line is they won't because the price point has been set and there isn't enough margin for them.

Now I am not knocking skids, if that's the way you want to go there are some great products out there. If you are like me and concerned about weight and like to keep things simple a replacement pan (heavy duty) is a better choice.

I personally feel that the rancho glue on would provide more than sufficient protection. Anyone on here have experience with this product?

post #14 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Rock God

i have the Rancho pan skid, haven't installed it yet though. From reading on the "other" forum, the people that have it like it.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
post #15 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
i have the Rancho pan skid, haven't installed it yet though. From reading on the "other" forum, the people that have it like it.
I have seen one take a tremendous hit and survive, then again I have seen two fall off on the road. Could have been a bad instal, then again? Modern adhesives are awesome, but something about gluing on a part designed to take an impact doesn't sit well with me.

post #16 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have seen one take a tremendous hit and survive, then again I have seen two fall off on the road. Could have been a bad instal, then again? Modern adhesives are awesome, but something about gluing on a part designed to take an impact doesn't sit well with me.

I agree, but I just cant justify spending 300 bucks and 80 lbs added weight for a full skid. And on the other hand, you have benchmark, a WONDERFUL alternative, much cheaper, much lighter...but....basically a non existant company, and thus, a non existent product.

So what's left? Rancho I guess. There must be a way to be able to bolt it on to the engine as well as using the adhesive. IDK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode