I am regretting becoming a first time JEEP owner... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am regretting becoming a first time JEEP owner...

My Jeep at 35-40 MPH shakes no matter what. at other speeds if i hit a small bump it will do the same thing. This is a terrible ride. I talked to a friend about it and he said itís called the death wobble and it happens to a lot of Jeeps...WTF, why is this normal?

I have raised my truck, lowered my cars and never had a ride this shitty.

I bought my JEEP raised and wish i took it on a longer test drive... Never owned a JEEP before and i would not recommend one to a friend.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Black 6 Speed Manual

3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex Lift Kit, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 18" Black Ballistic Jesters, Fab Fours Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper Winch Mount w/Stinger Hoop and End Caps, 8,000lb Winch

Note to self: Rotate tires at 58,500 Miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_Legend View Post
My Jeep at 35-40 MPH shakes no matter what. at other speeds if i hit a small bump it will do the same thing. This is a terrible ride. I talked to a friend about it and he said itís called the death wobble and it happens to a lot of Jeeps...WTF, why is this normal?

I bought my JEEP raised and wish i took it on a longer test drive... Never owned a JEEP before and i would not recommend one to a friend.
Is this some kind of sick joke?

2012 Crush JKU Rubicon
post #3 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolapalooza View Post
Is this some kind of sick joke?
no, i am serious. How is this death wobble a normal thing for Jeeps only. And to fix it it could be 1 of 20 things...

3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex Lift Kit, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 18" Black Ballistic Jesters, Fab Fours Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper Winch Mount w/Stinger Hoop and End Caps, 8,000lb Winch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
no, i am serious. How is this death wobble a normal thing for Jeeps only. And to fix it it could be 1 of 20 things...
It sounds like you have a shimmy and not Death Wobble...

08 JKU
post #5 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09GRNJK View Post
It sounds like you have a shimmy and not Death Wobble...
what is a shimmy? also if i hit the brakes some i can get control of it a little. i have to do this everyday, if i am not on the highway it sucks driving it.

post #6 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

Are you lifted on your stock skinny tires? If so your stability is gone, I had my lifted jeep on my stock tires and I literally almost had death wobble on every bump I hit. Check your trackbar first that usually come loose, just search the forum on the search bar up top and youll find what to do on yrou own. Worst comes to worst I heard prius are nice smooth riding vehicles.

-Dan

Last edited by JKRubicon90; 01-10-2012 at 01:00 PM.
post #7 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

You bought a Jeep that someone else lifted with unknown workmanship and inherited their problems. I wouldn't blame the Jeep brand for that. Stock the vehicle is great, and guys who add parts knowing what they are getting into also say it is great. Your real gripe is with the prior owner and their mechanic.
post #8 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

It depends on what the lift kit had with it, how high it's lifted, and what other components are necessary for the new ride height.
post #9 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Because Jeeps have front axles while most cars and trucks have a arms or something close to that.

2012 Crush JKU Rubicon
post #10 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
Are you lifted on your stock skinny tires? If so your stability is gone, I had my lifted jeep on my stock tires and I literally almost had death wobble on every bump I hit. Check your traction bar first that usually come loose, just search the forum on the search bar up top and youll find what to do on yrou own. Worst comes to worst I heard prius are nice smooth riding vehicles.

-Dan
haha.. prius joke. Anyway this Jeep is actually the smallest engine vehicle i have ever owned besides motorcycles. I drive trucks and muscle cars. I got a Jeep to try something different, V6 is new to me.

back to the problem, no i have 37" tires, not skinny tires. So the traction bar can come lose? how is that?... ill do a search

post #11 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

That's unfortunately something that can happen when you buy an already lifted rig. You don't know the quality of work that was done. Definitely sounds like more of a shimmy than death wobble. Death wobble would make your jeep undriveable. Check Planman's thread for diagnosing and run through the list. Check all your suspension components to make sure they're all torqued correctly. Check trackbar mounting to see if the holes have wallowed out at all. Also check your ball joints. Are the tires balanced? I know it's frustrating, but if you go through the list you'll be able to find your source of the problem and be able to enjoy your jeep once again. Btw, jeeps are NOT the only vehicles that can experience death wobble. Best of luck finding the culprit to your problem.

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

Greg
post #12 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
My Jeep at 35-40 MPH shakes no matter what....
When you test drove it, did you not get up to 35-40? If you did, are you saying it didn't do this when you test drove it, but is doing it now? Did you change anything after you bought it if it didn't do this on your test drive?

There are a lot of things to check, but start with the basics and work up from there - tire pressure, all suspension components torqued properly, etc.

Good luck tracking it down.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #13 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

are your wheels balanced?.. had the same issue from 53 to 59 MPH...

felt like the damn thing was shaking itself apart..

Shawn
post #14 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Several of us have lifted and modified our Jeeps with no issue of death wobble or shimmy. Sorry whoever sold it to you did a shitty job of resolving it. If it was a dealer, I'd be taking it back. If not, take some time to learn to diagnose the issue and fix it.

This thread should give you every tool you need to resolve it. If you narrow it down and has a specific question post it up and we'll help out!!!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

Also - work on getting it resolved soon. Death wobble can and will damage parts that aren't cheap.
post #15 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Since you apparently know how to turn a wrench on your own vehicles (from the statement about past lifting/lowering experience), here's what you're going to do.

1. Make sure that your tires are balanced. Have them road-force balanced if necessary.
2. Go through this checklist on Death Wobble. It explains what it is, what it isn't, and what steps need to be taken into account to fix anything and everything.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723
post #16 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg612 View Post
You bought a Jeep that someone else lifted with unknown workmanship and inherited their problems. I wouldn't blame the Jeep brand for that. Stock the vehicle is great, and guys who add parts knowing what they are getting into also say it is great. Your real gripe is with the prior owner and their mechanic.
i have lifted or lowed many vehicles, doing research i find out this is a known issue for Jeep and not other vehicles. So i blame Jeep, makes sense to me.

post #17 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

The death wobble thread will be useful, even though your not experiencing DW. If I were you I'd have all the meats balanced, re-tourqe all suspension bolts (esp. trac bar) and replace your ball joints. Bet ya it'll ride like a dream after that.

07 X..3.5 Rock Krawler mid arm, teraflex steering stabilizer, JKS quick discos, smittibilt rocker guards, poison spyder BFH front and rear, XRC8 winch, 37" pitbull rockers on TWF's, CB, Rock lights, KC Stinger lights, Hella pillar lights, High Lift on hood, Cut flares, 3 amps, polk db front, Kicker type R rears, 1 12" P3, Viper throttle, Yukon 5.13's, Pure jeep truss/gussets, home brew switch panel/corner armor etc etc
post #18 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Shimmy VS. Death Wobble

Difference?

post #19 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sorry you feel so poorly about your jeep..... this is the most amazing purchase i have ever made!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42Ē MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #20 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Shimmy VS. Death Wobble

Difference?
Shimmy is a shake, DW is full on wheels bouncing off the pavement, I have to come to a complete stop to regain control of the vehicle. Remove the track bar on the frame side and check to see if the mounting location has been ovaled out. Also, check you ball joints.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #21 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
sorry you feel so poorly about your jeep..... this is the most amazing purchase i have ever made!
congrats, i miss my F150 FX4

post #22 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Shimmy VS. Death Wobble

Difference?
Shimmy is what you have. DW is a voilent oscillation that feels like you're in a paint shaker and makes you nearly shit yourself, making the vehicle unsafe to drive and you unwilling to drive it.

Trust me, if you had DW, you would know it.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #23 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Shimmy VS. Death Wobble

Difference?
Two people put up links to a thread (myself included) that explained this (AND the solution to the problem). Did you read it?
post #24 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:

Pretty sure I found the problem here.

Do a little research and think before typing... Of you could just don the Nomex for when everyone calls you a fucking retard for not figuring out how google works. Still not sure how this goes? No problem, my inadequate newbie, allow me:

CLICK HERE TO SOLVE ALL YOUR TROUBLES

Yup, this is an elusive and poorly documented issue. A Google search only yielded 175,000 results

Now go sit in the corner and think about what you posted

post #25 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Pretty sure I found the problem here.

Do a little research and think before typing... Of you could just don the Nomex for when everyone calls you a fucking retard for not figuring out how google works. Still not sure how this goes? No problem, my inadequate newbie, allow me:

CLICK HERE TO SOLVE ALL YOUR TROUBLES

Yup, this is an elusive and poorly documented issue. A Google search only yielded 175,000 results

Now go sit in the corner and think about what you posted
So the best place to find awnsers about Jeeps is not a Jeep forum? thanks got it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode