Engineering Internship? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Engineering Internship?

Just thought I'd put it out there... Wondering if any of you guys know anyone who is looking for Engineering Interns? I'm a 3rd year Mechanical Engineering Student and it would be nice to find something in field I enjoy...what better than doing one of the things I love (working on Jeeps and such). Anyways, hoping to find a full-time paid internship so I can get more experience in my field while I'm still going to school. May be a long shot but its worth a try

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I'd contact the big after market companies directly. RK, Polly, Terra etc. But can you relocate and still do your last year of school? Good luck!!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 01-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I'd contact the big after market companies directly. RK, Polly, Terra etc. But can you relocate and still do your last year of school? Good luck!!
Yeah I thought about that too. Was just hoping maybe someone might know of something. And it would be hard to relocate very far. I mean I need to finish at the school I'm at as its a really good engineering school and I'd rather finish there, but I suppose if the offer was good enough and it was close to another good school I could try and transfer lol. I'd think that being in SoCal though, I'm in a pretty prime area to find an aftermarket company looking for an intern and possibly an engineer to join their team in the future. Thats the hope anyways

And thank you!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I think that Currie in SoCal?

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I think that Currie in SoCal?
Yeah there's quite a few. Currie is not that far from me, Rebel, Off-Road Evolution, and Poison Spyder are all out here, Poly is a little ways north in San Luis Obispo. I'm sure there's a bunch more.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #6 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 AM
DaK
Rock God

Rebel only does installs that I know of, no engineering or design. You want a company that actually designs the equipment. Correct?

Try the manufacturers, not the installers.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
Rebel only does installs that I know of, no engineering or design. You want a company that actually designs the equipment. Correct?

Try the manufacturers, not the installers.
Yeah that's correct. I thought Rebel designed their own coilover mounts and stuff?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #8 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I wouldn't worry about getting a paid internship. If you can find one, great, but if not, don't worry. Any employer that is interested in you would be likely to start you on a three month training program to get you familiar with how their business is run. Focus on getting good grades and try to learn some 3D modeling software like CATiA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
I wouldn't worry about getting a paid internship. If you can find one, great, but if not, don't worry. Any employer that is interested in you would be likely to start you on a three month training program to get you familiar with how their business is run. Focus on getting good grades and try to learn some 3D modeling software like CATiA.
I really don't have a choice. I need the income. I've gotta pay bills somehow, so if I'm not making money then I gotta sell the Jeep or something and even that money will only last so long. I've been working pretty much full time since I started college but it would be nice to actually work in my field. I turn wrenches for a living now so I mean it is experience, but I'd like to get experience more as an Engineer so I have that when I graduate. Plus it would be nice to work somewhere thats more capable of working around my class times, but that might be asking a bit much lol.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #10 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 AM
DaK
Rock God

Maybe consider coming up to the big 3 in Palmdale:

Lockheed
Boeing
McDonald/Douglas

Just don't let them put you at a desk job for analyzing, ensure they understand you want to be on the floor, doing R & D.

Living in Palmdale/Lancaster isn't that stellar but... the job would have to be killer. Envied those dudes working on the cutting edge down in the fab shop.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Maybe consider coming up to the big 3 in Palmdale:

Lockheed
Boeing
McDonald/Douglas

Just don't let them put you at a desk job for analyzing, ensure they understand you want to be on the floor, doing R & D.

Living in Palmdale/Lancaster isn't that stellar but... the job would have to be killer. Envied those dudes working on the cutting edge down in the fab shop.
Would love to do something like that too. Yeah definitely would want to be doing the hands on stuff as well as design. I couldn't handle pushing paper all day every day.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #12 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
DaK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Would love to do something like that too. Yeah definitely would want to be doing the hands on stuff as well as design. I couldn't handle pushing paper all day every day.
you can google them and contact their respective HR departments. As long as you nose has been clean and you can obtain a clearance there shouldn't be a problem. They are ALWAYS looking for engineers. Can't get people to move to the desert for some reason.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
you can google them and contact their respective HR departments. As long as you nose has been clean and you can obtain a clearance there shouldn't be a problem. They are ALWAYS looking for engineers. Can't get people to move to the desert for some reason.
I might have to do that. That might be a better option for when I graduate as it would be a bit of a drive to get to school from there. I wouldn't have a problem living in the desert. Id be just as close to some of the areas i love to take the Jeep to lol.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM
DaK
Rock God

I know that all three of those corporations due summer internships. Your counselors or whatever they are called nowadays should be able to hook you up with the application process. Normally they start the process in the spring

All of those I mentioned are the Phantom Works, Skunk Works, etc... Like I said, COOL STUFF!
post #15 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I know that all three of those corporations due summer internships. Your counselors or whatever they are called nowadays should be able to hook you up with the application process. Normally they start the process in the spring

All of those I mentioned are the Phantom Works, Skunk Works, etc... Like I said, COOL STUFF!
Yeah, theres definitely some awesome stuff out there. But again, I run into the problem of having to have money to live. Its hard to go do a summer internship (even if its paid) if I won't have income at the end of the summer. Right now, if I don't work I can't afford to go to school so its kind of a Catch 22. Not to say it wouldn't be doable, but it would be a risk giving up my current job for a summer internship not knowing if I'd have somewhere to work at the end of the summer. Sucks having to pay bills and live lol

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode