Bestop Woes / Rant - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Bestop Woes / Rant

My OEM JKU top was missing two knuckles that allow it to slide on the rail and lock into the sunrider latches. I emailed bestop the parts listed for the application from quadratec to check if they were the right part. They said yes they were the correct part I needed, but they couldn't sell it to me. ok.

I order the parts, they dont work. I email bestop again, with pictures of the wrong knuckle next to the bow where it would attach.

First, they tried to say it wasn't the OE top and asked for pictures of the whole jeep. I send them pictures of the whole Jeep. They then say, "yup that's the OE top, sorry we can't help you with the part missing you need to contact mopar"
.... hmmm
2 weeks of emails, one response maybe a day from bestop. For them to tell me yeah it's the right part, then say oh we can't help you, is real shady.

while i was waiting for this bracket/knuckle to be figured out. I said well maybe ill just get a new top, mine is a little beat. So i found the supertop NX on sale for 825. I order it.

Super top NX arrives, quality is china made crap. Screw holes aren't lining up in a straight line, scratches on some pieces, holes not punched all the way through.

While I'm installing the front arch brace, it snapped the connector on the other side. If you haven't installed the front brace, you have to use force to bow the arch to slide into the brackets on each side. Well the brackets are thin plastic. I didn't apply any excessive force, same used to get the rear one in place. Bad design, should be thicker plastic.

I email bestop to find how to get the passenger side door surround replaced. Oh they can't sell me the single part. I have to buy the whole door surround kit $180. Another 3 days of emails to figure this out.

My 2cents on shitop, thanks for listening and maybe this will help others look for other vendors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

I can't speak much about the supertop, but I have had 2 trektops for my JK. First thing, its an aftermarket soft top so expectations have to be realistic that they won't be 100% perfect. While this mindset is against what I think SHOULD be the case (much like I can't stand "they're wranglers and all leak/rattle/clang etc from the dealer") it IS unfortunately true. When youre buying parts that didn't come with the exact jeep its tough to expect 100%. My trektops were very good and had minimal issues with leaks and fitment. Only reason I sent the first back was bc I broke a stupid piece and then told em it didn't fit and they sent me a new one. I was still very pleased.

Can't speak for the quality of yours, supertop has A LOT more parts than the trektop. I think the tiny bolts or attachments could be a bit stronger and the holes could line up better but it is what it is in my opinion. Not trying to take away from your frustration just trying to add a little perspective worth about 2 cents. Sorry for your frustrations.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 05:04 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have an unlimited soft top that I'm going to trash because the material is trashed, and someone just gave me a new soft top. The mechanism is fine so if you send me pictures of what you need I will be glad to take them off and send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Just e-mail me and let me know.

Steve K

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanitize View Post
I have an unlimited soft top that I'm going to trash because the material is trashed, and someone just gave me a new soft top. The mechanism is fine so if you send me pictures of what you need I will be glad to take them off and send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Just e-mail me and let me know.

Steve K
Now that's classy, insanitize. for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

insanitize

That's incredibly friendly of you Steve and makes this site feel more like a community.

Andrew

With your guys responses, this must be my JK community. Wragnlerforum deleted my thread in 3 minutes for talking negative about a sponsor lol. I just wanted to share my experience so people might not go through the same thing, or at least be aware of the possibility.

The top seems to fit snuggly, but I haven't had any rain, to see how the leaks are.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocBane View Post
insanitize

That's incredibly friendly of you Steve and makes this site feel more like a community.

Andrew

With your guys responses, this must be my JK community. Wragnlerforum deleted my thread in 3 minutes for talking negative about a sponsor lol. I just wanted to share my experience so people might not go through the same thing, or at least be aware of the possibility.

The top seems to fit snuggly, but I haven't had any rain, to see how the leaks are.
Thanks, I'm just paying it forward. I've been in the Jeep comunity for a long time and on the road or off we have to stick together.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode