opinion? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

opinion?

So I don't post much on forums, mainly cause I don't have the time, but ambition at work flew out the window for a second and this has plagued me ever since I bought my wife Ruby Ultd.

So it sits on 35's, with no engine performance ad's, assuming stock 4.10s because its own shadow has more balls. So, my question is, (and I know someone will tell me to search it, but I feel current opinions are the best and most accurate) has anyone done a chip, cold air and exhaust on a similar set-up, then has someone done just gears with out anything else. I am looking for comments on this, not going to a v-8 or supercharger that presses the requirement toner's and eventually be a full blown crawler, not a nice grocery getter.

Bring on the criticism!!!!! Seriously, I need real world experienced opinions about this as this is unbearably slow an needs a fair solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Gears, Gears, Gears, Gears, Gears, Gears.
513s or 538s
Best performance mod there is for a 3.8.
I can pull my 2600# trailer up a steep grade and accellerate all the way up.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #3 of 30 Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
513s or 538s
That.

If you're going to spend money on it just go ahead and re-gear it. A programmer will go with those new gears nicely and allow you to tell the computer that you have new gear ratios and 35" tires.

Welcome to the forum man!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Is it a manual or an auto transmission? With the 4.10's on a manual, you can get away with running the stock gearing and adding a Superchip Flashpaq (and/or a SprintBooster). With an auto, gears are really going to be the best bet for you.

With the money that you would put into the CAI, or exhaust, you just aren't going to get the gains that you are looking for.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
513s or 538s
I like what I'm hearing. It's an auto. What about the rpm's at lets say 70 mph with 5.38's

Last edited by 10 foot bare; 01-06-2012 at 09:16 AM.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 foot bare View Post
I like what I'm hearing. It's an auto. What about the rpm's at lets say 70 mph with 5.38's
I'm about 2500-2600 with 513s.
If you do gears make SURE you have someone that has done Rubicon gears and use a good gear.
I am running G2s and the tech that installed them love them.
15000 miles and no issues.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #7 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Cold Air Intake will do nothing for the 3.8 motor. Waste of money. Regear for best results

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #8 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Rock God

Garage
motor first... my opinion

Other side of the fence...

My rig...

4.10s, Automatic, D44 rear D30 front, both full open (no lockers), TOYO 35's, 3.5" Teraflex short arm lift, Hesco Supercharger, full skids, stupid driver

Have run Rubi twice ~ second time with a trailer ~ next upgrade will be to re-gear with entirely new axles.

I recommend improving your motor first ... if your not in a carb state I would go with a RIPP Supercharger and long tubes if you can swing it. Inevitably I will re-gear but I'm happy with my 4.10's until I can get my Teraflex CDR60 ARB locked axles. Might go Currie 9's not for sure yet... I like the support I've gotten from Teraflex.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #9 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

I did the Hypertech and cut out the front side of my airbox when I went 35's , auto with 4:10's. It made just a hair of noticeable difference. It didn't downshift quite as much.
Then went to 5:38's and 37's and it's like a whole new jeep again!!
Here's rpm's at speed.

You smell that?
post #10 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Rock God

Garage
Top end with 5.13's or 5.38's

One concern I have is how the 5.13's or 5.38's will effect my top end ... Right now with the 4.10's & the Supercharger when running 75 and accelerate pretty fast to 90 to pass... I can cruise easily at 85 if I want but pretty much stick around 75-80.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #11 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 04:51 AM
DaK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfriday View Post
One concern I have is how the 5.13's or 5.38's will effect my top end ... Right now with the 4.10's & the Supercharger when running 75 and accelerate pretty fast to 90 to pass... I can cruise easily at 85 if I want but pretty much stick around 75-80.
WOW, 90 in a Jeep!? you are a brave soul.....

You probably won't lose that much on your top end but your gas mileage may suffer. 5.13/38's the sweet spot seems to be around 65-70 MPH to get good mileage, anything more than that MPG suffers. After all, you are pushing a BRICK through the air. Aerodynamics take over and there is just nothing you are going to do about the physics of pushing a brick through the air.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 AM
DaK
Rock God

To the original poster:

Re-gear. Running 35's myself currently with 4.10 auto. Thing is a dawg, will be regearing with 5.38's.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Another vote for gears. 5.38s and done. Nothing else will come close.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #14 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I agree with gears.
I have an 07 Rubi manual trans with lots of weight added (bumers, skids, long arm...) and changing the gears (5.13) made a great improvement like not downshifting as much on the hills. I tried CAI and all it did was make the engine sound better. I have a tuner but ended up just using it to correct speedo error. I haven't upgraded the exhaust because I haven't heard one that I like the sound of.
Just my $0.02

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #15 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 05:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Gears- 5.13 and now the option of 5.38 has been added. Best power per dollar additive period.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Do gears but choose the ratio wisely if you do a lot of highway driving. If you want to get a programmer just to recalibrate your gauges, go with the AEV ProCal. I had the Hypertech on my last Jeep, GIANT waste of money.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Jersey Kustoms Front/Rear Bumpers and Sliders
Engo 10000 Winch
Skyjacker 4" Value Flex Lift
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
VHT Markers and Taillights
Jersey Kustoms Tramp Stamp
post #17 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Rock God

Garage
Hmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
WOW, 90 in a Jeep!? you are a brave soul.....

You probably won't lose that much on your top end but your gas mileage may suffer. 5.13/38's the sweet spot seems to be around 65-70 MPH to get good mileage, anything more than that MPG suffers. After all, you are pushing a BRICK through the air. Aerodynamics take over and there is just nothing you are going to do about the physics of pushing a brick through the air.

I hear a lot of this about the top end on the JKU and the 4.10's being "dawgs" ... Actually I can hit 90 pretty easily and handling is great. Of course I'm also running with 35's on 20" rims... that may have something to do with why it handles fine at highway speeds. Maintaining 90 is a different story... as mentioned I can cruise at 80 - 85 but generally keep it down around 75-80. Cruise control starts giving me problems around 85. I should take the time to see how my mileage is doing... I suspect I'm probably only getting around 14-17 mpg.

Ohhh.. These are Garmin GPS speeds ... speedometer is 5mph under... never calibrated it.

Forrest Grumpy
post #18 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Granite Guru

Tuners help but gears would be best.

Be careful though. I listened to the "experts" on the different forums and feel it was a mistake for my 08 JKU juice tranny on 37s. All the experts on the forums said 5.38 but since it was a sport the lowest I could go was 5.13s. I feel that was a mistake and was too low. Highway rpm was too high. It would have been better with 4.88s and those 37s (ture 36").

For a 35 (which is most likely a true 34"" I would suggest a 4.56 gear set. It would still be low enough to compensate for lift, and tires but not too bad for mileage.

Check out 4lo.com as there are some great calculators there to help you guide your decision instead of listening to the "experts" on the forums who feel they know more than everyone else and you are an idiot if you don't agree with them.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #19 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Rock God

You're thinking backwards. If you think your RPM's are too high with 5:13's, you should go to 5:38's The only reason 4:56's are still made is because uninformed people still buy'em. Even most manual owners don't respect them. Lifts really have nothing to do with gear ratios, it's the larger tires and other weighty stuff we put on with the lift that makes us want/need better gear ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post

Be careful though. I listened to the "experts" on the different forums and feel it was a mistake for my 08 JKU juice tranny on 37s. All the experts on the forums said 5.38 but since it was a sport the lowest I could go was 5.13s. I feel that was a mistake and was too low. Highway rpm was too high. It would have been better with 4.88s and those 37s (ture 36").

For a 35 (which is most likely a true 34"" I would suggest a 4.56 gear set. It would still be low enough to compensate for lift, and tires but not too bad for mileage.

Check out 4lo.com as there are some great calculators there to help you guide your decision instead of listening to the "experts" on the forums who feel they know more than everyone else and you are an idiot if you don't agree with them.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #20 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
You're thinking backwards. If you think your RPM's are too high with 5:13's, you should go to 5:38's The only reason 4:56's are still made is because uninformed people still buy'em. Even most manual owners don't respect them. Lifts really have nothing to do with gear ratios, it's the larger tires and other weighty stuff we put on with the lift that makes us want/need better gear ratios.
Lifts do make a difference.

Increases wind resistance, otherwise known as drag.

So, rpm too high with 5.13s and you suggest 5.38s? That will further increase those rpms. (?) That will help. NOT!

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #21 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

I have been saying this for years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
No, that would be you thinking backwards! They make 4.56's because that is a ratio that some people need to optimize their vehicle. The taller the gear the more quickly you will run out of breath, but it makes for a great trail rig. I had a 6-speed w/35's and 5.13s and the highway RPM was way too high.

Quote:
Lifts do make a difference.

Increases wind resistance, otherwise known as drag.

So, rpm too high with 5.13s and you suggest 5.38s? That will further increase those rpms. (?) That will help. NOT!
This.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Jersey Kustoms Front/Rear Bumpers and Sliders
Engo 10000 Winch
Skyjacker 4" Value Flex Lift
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
VHT Markers and Taillights
Jersey Kustoms Tramp Stamp
post #22 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Granite Guru

Definitely gears! Just re-geared our JKU (5:13s) and JK (4.88s) and the difference is significant. The JKU is on 37s and the power and gas mileage is pretty damn close to factory. A tuner would also be a great addition.

American by Birth! Southern by the Grace of God!
post #23 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Rock God

Agree with just about every other post....Gears are where it is at for the JK. BUT the Hemi's help too

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #24 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Granite Guru

Seer has it backwards.... and 4:56's are going to make a comeback with the 2012's new requirements in gear selections...

FWIW, I have the auto tranny, BFG 35's, and the stock 4:10's. I really don't think its that bad now that I have the Superchips and the stock intake and exhaust. The superchips fixed the tranny shifting too early and gave me a little bit more power. Cheap easy fix till I get the gears, and you need some sort of a tuner to help with the speedo/ tranny / tires after changing the gear ratio anyways.

So yea, its a little bit of a dog, but I came from a fully caged long travel Yota on 35's with a 22re in it with stock gears, so the Jeep is still more powerful than that 90 hp monster.

So my next upgrade is going to 5:13's. I still think that the 5:38's are weaker than the 5:38's (pinion is smaller right?) And I'm really not to disappointed in the 4:10's performance anyways, so 5:13's should be just fine for me.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

JKU. 5.38s. 37's (KM2), Superchip 87 tune. [email protected]

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode