MOAB - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

MOAB

ok so i know its early but Im active military so i have to start planning now!!

im moving to Ft. Bliss, El Paso TX next month and will probably be going to see J @ airpark to get my new toy(white w/ Black Trim "12 JKU Rubi).

Im planning to get my rig preped one of the MOAB parties.. so i need to know a few things??

1 - when and who's hosting this year for the major trips?

2 - what do you experts think should be my main focus on upgrades for the trip... i know i wont be able to do everything But i wanna have a great time..

I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with it. REV:6.8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
JPK
Rock God

Rock Rock 4x4 Club hosts Easter Jeep Safari, which runs the week prior to Easter Sunday. Easter is April 8th this year.

There are trails in the Moab area that range from easily doable in a stock Jeep to pretty wild where large tires and lockers are requirements and damage is a real possibility.

If you go to the website you can read a summery brief on each trail.

I drove my JKU out last year, and the need to drive 2100 miles back was never far from my mind. With driving home whole in mind, we stuck to nothing tougher than trails rated 6 by Red Rock.

My Jeep has a 4.5" AEV suspension and 37's, with Rubicon oem D44's and the Rubicon lockers front and rear. Trails rated 6 were fun, but not a serious challenge, and posed no real risk of damage, absent a driver FU.

The event is fun, brings in a fun crowd and you can run on sponsored trail runs or on any of the many trails not utilized on a given day as you please. We did some of both, and had a blast. Beware that some sponsored runs can be a lot of hurry up and wait, with lines and back ups at obstacles. But that can give you an opportunity to get out and watch others takle the obstacles. Take the right attitude and the waiting isn't too bad.

I was back in Moab for a couple of days in August and we ran some trails then too. Lots of fun on your own as well.

If the Jeep and off roading are new to you, the EJS is a great place to run some trails that will be a lot of fun, but with support and suggestions should you need them.

BTW, my JKU is white with black too. Heres a photo from EJS to wet your appetite:

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 01-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Wheeler

I am in the same boat. I have a sahara on 35's ls rearend and 2.5" lift. We are headed out to moab for the easter ride. 1700 miles. I am thinking about putting a trutrac in the front before we go just for good measure. I would love to take my XJ but I would have to tow it out.

2007 Sahara Unlimited 2.5" OME springs, RE shocks 35" tires 10.5k winch, bumpers
1999 XJ sport 2 door, 3 link, 36" TSLs, lots of goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM
JPK
Rock God

Take a look at the Red Rock website's trail descriptions. It will tell you what requirements are for different trails, iirc.

You don't need lockers for the great majority of trails rated about 5 or lower and some slick rock trails rated 6 can be done and done well without lockers. When I went out in August with my family, I rented a lifted JKU on 35's with open difs and hired an instructor to ride right seat and instruct my wife. My kids and I followed them all day and there was only one climb we did in my Jeep that they didn't do in the open dif Jeep. I think they could have done that one without drame too, but the BLD feature of the JK's would have been help.

BTW, that reminds me to mention that you all really ought to read up on the BLD sustem our JK's come with. Not LSD, and not a locker but a very useful feature, imo.

FWIW, I would put a selectable in any front end.

Stock JK's are remarkably able off road. You'll do well just running as is, and most tougher obstacles have bypasses if required. But if you are planning the mods anyway, might as well have the added capability at EJS.

Slick rock is fun stuff, fantastic pavement like traction, but not all of Moab trails are slick rock.

Trails you really ought to run include, imo, Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge. Some others I can't recall but will add later.

Here's Red Rock's website: http://www.rr4w.com/

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 01-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Wheeler

I hear that Golden Spike and Cliff Hanger are real good. Also the Rim trail?

The thing is, I don't wheel the Jk so I don't need the Trutrac in the front. I just want it for MOAB. I do, however, think I need front control arms (steering is a little funny). So, Trutrac $600, control arms $250-300, and a $1500 trip to MOAB (3 of us going). That makes for an expensive trip.

I could Haul my XJ and have a lot more fun. But my HD gas burner gets about 8-10 MPG pulling and that would add up over a 3500 mile trip...

I am going to have to do some figuring on all this.

2007 Sahara Unlimited 2.5" OME springs, RE shocks 35" tires 10.5k winch, bumpers
1999 XJ sport 2 door, 3 link, 36" TSLs, lots of goodies
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
JPK
Rock God

Skip the locker. You can plan a great program on really fun trails on which you won't need a locker.

Save some bucks and go with Poly Performance standard fixed length control arms for up to 3" suspensions for the arms to correct caster and get rid of the flightiness caused by the lift induced caster redusction.

JPK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode