Impulse Off Road is building a 2 Door JK to race in the stock class of "KOH" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Impulse Off Road is building a 2 Door JK to race in the stock class of "KOH"

When Ultra 4 decided to add a stock and stock mod class to the series it got me thinking pretty serious about competing. I finally pulled the trigger on a wrecked 2008 2-door Jeep Wrangler. I wanted to do a JK because thats what I usually build and drive. I will keep the thread updated and will keep posting pictures as I make progress on the build. I also plan to compete in the W.E.ROCK Dirt Riot Endurance Series with the Jeep along with the Ultra 4 American Rock Sports Challenge held at Miller Motorsports Park next September. To get in as much seat time as possible in preperation for the Ultra 4 race I will also be driving the Jeep in all of the Lucas Oil Off Road Regional practice and race days held at Miller Motorsports Park as well.

I want to give a big thanks to the sponsors and friends who have helped me since we started Rock Crawling in the ARCA days. Here are my plans as of today. (they are always changing a little bit)

Suspension: TeraFlex LCG PreRunner 3" Kit with special Speed Bumps.
Shocks: ICON Vehicle Dynamics 2.5" Piggy Back front shocks and 2.5" Remote Reservoir shocks in the back

Performance:
I will add a Sprint Booster to help with the lag in the gas pedal. A Chip from Bully Dog or Diablo Sport, new plugs and wires, and hopefully some long tube headers from Ripp. The stock auto trans will be used with the addition of a deep trans pan and Redline High Temp ATF. I am looking at installing a performance torque converter to help make the transmission more efficient. A Magnaflow Cat back Exhaust will also be installed.

Front Axle: TeraFlex CRD 60 Front Axle. Sierra Gear 5.38 Ring and Pinion and chro moly axle shafts from West Coast Differentials, a Detroit Locker, and TeraFlex Big Brake Kit and a TeraFlex larger Brake Master Cylinder
Rear Axle: TeraFlex CRD 60 Rear Axle with Sierra Gear 5.38 Ring and Pinion and a Detroit Locker. Chro Moly rear axle shafts are also supplied by TeraFlex
T-Case: Advance Adapters cant get me an Atlas built in time so I am going to run a stock Rubicon 4 to 1 t-case with a 2.72 Rubicrawler from Advance Adapters.
Drive Shafts: I want to run 1350 Drive Shafts and am not sure who I will get those from
Steering: PSC Motorsports Hydraulic Assist Steering with PSC Dual Cooler System for the PS Fluid and for the Transmission

Exterior Upgrades:
A complete JK package from Poison Spyder BFH front and rear bumpers, Brawler Rockers, Aluminum Fenders, HD transmission cross member, Light Bar Mounts, and more.
A 50" Light Bar from Baja Designs.

Tires and Wheels:
35x12.50r17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain TA KM2
17x9 Black Rock Intruder Beadlocks

We will be building a 2"x.120 Wall DOM Rollcage with suspension seats and 5 point harness seat belts. A bladdered fuel cell will also be used. I will update the parts used as work progresses. This should be a pretty fun build and it should be really fun to get back into the competition scene after 4+ years away from it.

I will start the build with pictures of how the Jeep looked when I got it. A big thanks to Larry H Miller Jeep in Sandy, UT for having all of the parts in stock that I needed to get the Jeep back to stock condition before starting the build
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I have pretty much gutted the interior, removed the axles, suspension, bumpers, and fuel cell. .The picture of the axles are my housings at TeraFlex last Friday.
Attached Images

post #3 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Granite Guru

Subscribed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Excited to see how this turns out.

Man, I wish I could find a JK with that kind of damage...what was the deal with it? Was the frame tweaked?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #5 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
Subscribed.
x2, this is gonna be sweet

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #6 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Can't wait to see this come together!

If there is anything I can help you with let me know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
Subscribed.
nice!

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

In the stock class of King of the Hammers you can stretch your wheelbase a total of 3". The limit is 98.4" for a stock class 2 door JK to pass tech inspection. I am shooting for 98.25" just to be safe. I decided that I wanted to get 1.75-2" in the front and around 1" stretch in the rear. To lengthen the front the right way I had to remove my coil buckets and track bar bracket and move them forward 1.50". I hope that the extra wheelbase is slightly noticable and that all of the work it took is worth it in the end. I guess it will be a cool feature that very few people would justify doing. The drivers side is all modified and welded. The passenger coil bucket and shock mount are removed and the frame is ground smooth, ready to install the coil bucket in the morning. The most technical part of the build will be the frame tied roll cage. I also plan to start putting the TeraFlex rear axle in the Jeep tomorrow as well. I will post more pictures tomorrow night.

In these frame pictures you can see the frame ground clean, then a picture of the gear box mounted approx. 1.75" further forward, and then a finished pre paint picture of remounted coil bucket, shock mount and track bar bracket with a track bar mount support bracket from Poly Performance
Attached Images

post #9 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Damn! Very nice! Can't wait to see it! Looks like a pretty good build list!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #10 of 73 Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Can't wait to see this thing come together best of luck with the build not like you need it.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #11 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Rock God

Subscribed!!

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #12 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

In these next pictures you will see the fully disassembled dash and see how the cage goes through the dash, then through the floor. All of the mounting points of the cage go through the body and will mount directly to the frame. There are alot of different bends. Bends through the floor, matching the windshield frame, pretty much every part of the cage has a tricky bend to it. I am pretty excited to get the cage done and see how it all turns out.
Attached Images

post #13 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

WOW....talk about a major overhaul to consider being "stock class"! HAHA Looks like it is going to be fun!!

U.S. Army
post #14 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Contact Jim Reel for your Driveshafts..........Please tell him Kevin Carey (Rawx Racing) sent you.

Kevin Carey

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #15 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice. That is the same way my cage is ran through the dash. The a and c frame tie-ins don't seem to bad. I don't know how far back your b-pillar is but it gets pretty tight there with the body mount.

Last edited by spedly; 01-05-2012 at 08:24 AM.
post #16 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Cool build, looking forward to seeing more pics!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #17 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Rock God

Great build John.

Thanks for sharing the tech.
post #18 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

Suscribed! Cant wait to see more on this build

Northridge 4x4 Krawl Off-Road PolyPerformance/Synergy Suspension
RockKrawler

08 JK unlimited - No groceries allowed
post #19 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

subscribed!

Info:

|
post #20 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

Nice build there John!

801-713-3314
post #21 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

The seats are now mounted to the cage. The rear seat cross bar goes from the driver side to the passenger side and has to sneak over the transmission tunnel yet remain under the e-brake housing. Hopefully now that the seats are in the remaining bars of the cage will go in a bit quicker. Both the driver and passenger coil buckets are in and the frame is repainted. The steering box is mounted and I will be lengthening the steering shaft from the column to the gear box today. the dash is reassembled but still needs the GPS and PCI Race Radio System mounted.
Attached Images

post #22 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

subscribed

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #23 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I decided to try the new dual cooler set up from PSC Motorsports. This is a newer product offered by them and the first time that I have installed or used one. It fit and should work great.
Attached Images

post #24 of 73 Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

The cage is finally starting to take shape. I think that we will be pretty safe racing in this Jeep.
Attached Images

post #25 of 73 Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Nice build there John!
Thanks Joe,
I couldn't do builds like this without the help of great manufacturers like TeraFlex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode