Solution #3 w/Bacon 0 0%
Solution #4 w/Bacon 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

Track Bar Bushing vs Bolts

I'm pretty sure I have the why figured out but what to do is still open.

As mentioned in previous threads, Chrysler used slightly smaller bolts than the proper 9/16" required to hold the track bar in place. This appears to be causing premature bushing failure. As best as I can tell as to why they did this is because there is no such thing as a 9/16" flange bolt on the market. There are hex cap bolts but not flange bolts. One nice thing about the hex cap bolts is they can be purchased with only partial threads to provide a larger contact surface.

After some research I have come up with only 4 possible solutions:

1) Custom made flange bolts and nuts. This is just not a realistic solution. The price tag for 2 bolts and 2 nuts (all Grade 8) is $700-800.

2) Purchase 9/16"x3-1/2" - 18 Grade 8 hex cap bolts and matching nuts. The remaining question here is whether or not to use matching SAE (tighter tolerance than USS) flat washers (x4) and split lock washers (x2) and/or use Loctite 271 (red). This is the least expensive and most readily available solution.

3) Purchase 5/8" bolts and have them machined down to 9/16". I don't know the cost of this and it still leaves the same issue of washers and nuts solution #2 has.

4) Replace the bushing and/or bore out the existing bushing and mounting holes.

After typing the above I decided to turn this into a poll. So what are the thoughts you might have? Perhaps a manufacturer or two could comment on solution #4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
JKO Addict!

IMO, you are over-complicating it.

The factory bolt is actually working just fine for MANY JKs on the road. Upgrading it to prevent problems is not a bad idea, not necessary, but will not hurt.

I have upgraded to the standard 9/16"-28 grade 8 hardware, with hardened washers with plain-jane lock washers on mine. I have no issues, no loctite, no magic nuts, it works for me just fine.

...Therefore I vote for #2

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode