Soooo... Whats involved in... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Soooo... Whats involved in...

Had the JK into the dealer this morning for an oil change and tire rotation.. Its free, so I can't do it any cheaper myself..

Anyway, they recommend the following now that I am approaching 60,000 miles:
Transmission Flush $195.00
Fuel Induction Service $129.95
Throttle Body Cleaning $99.95
Rear diff service $95.00
Front Diff Service $95.00
Transfer Case Cleaning $99.95
Tuneup $99.99
total $814.84 +tax

I can do the diffs, I have done them before, trasmission flush, I can probably do, and I have cleaned the throttlebody a couple of times, and I can change the spark plugs and wires..

But what is involved with:
Transfer Case Cleaning
Fuel Induction Service

Some say I have A.D.D but, Oh look.. a chicken!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoore View Post
Had the JK into the dealer this morning for an oil change and tire rotation.. Its free, so I can't do it any cheaper myself..

Anyway, they recommend the following now that I am approaching 60,000 miles:
Transmission Flush $195.00 - 70 bucks at any quick change place. usually doesn't include filter
Fuel Induction Service $129.95 Not worth it. the right way to do it is disconnect fuel rail and connect to a bottle of cleaner. Run engine on cleaner
Throttle Body Cleaning $99.95 take a cotton swab and some carb/choke cleaner and you're done
Rear diff service $95.00 drain and fill. super easy, takes 10 minutes. you need 2.5 qts
Front Diff Service $95.00 Same as above but with 1.5 qts (dana 30)
Transfer Case Cleaning $99.95 Drain and fill.
Tuneup $99.99 Plugs and wires?
total $814.84 +tax

I can do the diffs, I have done them before, trasmission flush , I can probably do, and I have cleaned the throttlebody a couple of times, and I can change the spark plugs and wires..

But what is involved with:
Transfer Case Cleaning
Fuel Induction Service
see above. you can NOT do a trans flush yourself if you have an auto. it takes a machine to pump the fluid through it.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

Not 100% sure but I think the"Fuel Induction..." is injector cleaner and "Transfer Case..." is changing fluids. All things you can do yourself for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Granite Guru

Damn. Those prices are easily double what the dealerships here are getting for the same stuff. Ouch.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #5 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Most of those items aren't due at 60k, just a quick way for the dealer to make extra money.

I changed the transfer case, transmission (what you get from dropping the pan) and front differential fluids myself over the new years weekend. Total cost about 120.00

Still not sure I want to have the tranny and transfer case flushed because the owners manual and warranty don't require it. But I'll definitely let them do the coolant flush and fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Damn. Those prices are easily double what the dealerships here are getting for the same stuff. Ouch.
I was going to say they are half price of what mine wanted for the same services.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
see above. you can NOT do a trans flush yourself if you have an auto. it takes a machine to pump the fluid through it.
not true...ive done flushes on tons of Allison transmissions without a machine, especially when the transcooler cracks and you get strawberry nesquick...yes it takes longer and is messy but it can be done...drain fluid from sump and transcooler...refill with clean fluid...run vehicle to temp...repeat...if you dont want to do it yea take it to a quicklube and its cheaper than the dealer

induction service and t/b cleaning can be done by yourself with seafoam treatment...look up any youtube video and it will show you how to do it...very straight forward and tons of fun to smoke out your neighborhood...same exact stuff they will use at the dealer...they just have a machine they use to hook up to the truck

a tuneup these days is nothing more than changing plugs, wires and fuel filters...you can do it yourself

save yourself the money and change your diffs and transfer case yourself...get familiar with the underside of your truck its a bonding experience with your vehicle

"Eat Liquid Gold"

Last edited by NascarRubicon; 01-04-2012 at 10:35 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarRubicon View Post
not true...ive done flushes on tons of Allison transmissions without a machine, especially when the transcooler cracks and you get strawberry nesquick...yes it takes longer and is messy but it can be done...drain fluid from sump and transcooler...refill with clean fluid...run vehicle to temp...repeat...if you dont want to do it yea take it to a quicklube and its cheaper than the dealer
that's not so much a change as much as a "get as much of the old out as you can". you're basically changing a quart, then letting the new ATF roll into the old dirty stuff, then "changing a quart" and doing the same over and over... That sounds fucking horrible. quick lube hooks it up, pumps it through, boom done, you know you got good new stuff and the old stuff is out...

i also should have clarified, he can probably pull the pan and do it that way. I've done it on tj's that way before. But it's a pain.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just changed the filter and about 5 1/2 quarts that came out of the pan. I'll do it again in 50k or so. I'm happy YMMV
Quote:
That sounds fucking horrible.
PhilD makes it sound like music

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28958

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post

I was going to say they are half price of what mine wanted for the same services.
Compared to Long Island NY...those prices are really cheap! Like you said Gold Knight...about $1500 for all that by me...total rip off but my dealership does an oil change for $20 to get you in.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #10 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
that's not so much a change as much as a "get as much of the old out as you can". you're basically changing a quart, then letting the new ATF roll into the old dirty stuff, then "changing a quart" and doing the same over and over... That sounds fucking horrible. quick lube hooks it up, pumps it through, boom done, you know you got good new stuff and the old stuff is out...

i also should have clarified, he can probably pull the pan and do it that way. I've done it on tj's that way before. But it's a pain.
If you want to do a complete flush then after replacing the fluid and filter in the pan, pull the return hose off the radiator/cooler and run the engine to pump the dirty oil out of the TC and cooler while adding clean fluid through the filler tube (obvously hook a spare length of hose to the radiator to capture the dirty oil in a bucket). Just make sure to add quickly enough that your don't run the trans dry (so use a 1 gallon jug of new trans fluid, plus you'll need at least one extra quart to get the job done). The clean fluid will push the dirty fluid out. When you see clean fluid come out, shut-off the engine and hook the hose back up. Top off the trans fluid to spec.

But many people just change what's in the pan and done. That's what I do about every 25K miles. It's easier and cleaner if you put a drain plug in the trans pan the first change.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #11 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like an aggressive service manager, remember most of them work off a bonus commission depending on the amount of work ran through their departments.

Diff fluid is 5 quarts for both front and rear which can run from $5-$20 depending on what oil you buy. Trans flush and fluid refill is easy enough to do as well as cleaning the throttle body. I am really surprised he didn't quote you $75 for a new air filter and air box cleaning. There are no tune ups on todays motors, I changed the spark plugs on the wife's jku at 80,000 and they looked fine with good gaping. If you are starting fine and don't have misfires you don't need plugs. All but one are pretty easy to get to and new plugs are only $3-5 each.

Buy some pizza and beer and throw a mod party and get some guys to walk you through the service you need done and you will be ready next time and will have more money available for those 40's.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

On the auto transmission flush, dropping the pan is only roughly a third of the fluid in the tranny. The torque converter holds most of the capacity. That's why they use those machines to pump the fluid through, to exchange what rests in the converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
On the auto transmission flush, dropping the pan is only roughly a third of the fluid in the tranny. The torque converter holds most of the capacity. That's why they use those machines to pump the fluid through, to exchange what rests in the converter.
Actually, 8.8 quarts total fill, 4.1 in the pan, the rest in the TC, cooler and hoses.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #14 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Figured it might be more in the pan, bt knew that the rest of the system held a lot of the fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

I don't know anything about auto trans. But I do know this! I have never heard it is recommended by anyone that knows autos. I listen to mechanics on talk radio and lots of other things, plus my own tranny guy that owns the shop for many years! They all have said over the years. DO Not Flush the transmission.

Just change the fluid and filter....if you are anal? do it twice after a few thousand and forget about it. Look it up check into it, what ever you want to do? But ask a expert, not a shop that needs your money. I hope some one leads you in the correct direction and not take my word for what I just posted.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch55 View Post
I don't know anything about auto trans. But I do know this! I have never heard it is recommended by anyone that knows autos. I listen to mechanics on talk radio and lots of other things, plus my own tranny guy that owns the shop for many years! They all have said over the years. DO Not Flush the transmission.

Just change the fluid and filter....if you are anal? do it twice after a few thousand and forget about it. Look it up check into it, what ever you want to do? But ask a expert, not a shop that needs your money. I hope some one leads you in the correct direction and not take my word for what I just posted.

Definitely two schools of thought out about flushing. Some believe that as the clutch packs break down the tiny particles act as another friction material for the trans and the filter will capture the large parts. Flushing looses this...some people believe that 100k is the breaking point... if you're under 100k you'll be fine with a fluid change...but over 100k leave it alone

Sent from Skynet

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #17 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

good to know! I did my 30k service in my garage and it saved me a grand! haha

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #18 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
If you want to do a complete flush then after replacing the fluid and filter in the pan, pull the return hose off the radiator/cooler and run the engine to pump the dirty oil out of the TC and cooler while adding clean fluid through the filler tube (obvously hook a spare length of hose to the radiator to capture the dirty oil in a bucket). Just make sure to add quickly enough that your don't run the trans dry (so use a 1 gallon jug of new trans fluid, plus you'll need at least one extra quart to get the job done). The clean fluid will push the dirty fluid out. When you see clean fluid come out, shut-off the engine and hook the hose back up. Top off the trans fluid to spec.

But many people just change what's in the pan and done. That's what I do about every 25K miles. It's easier and cleaner if you put a drain plug in the trans pan the first change.
Beat me to it - X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode