Winch comparison video, aka "Wenches with Winches" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Winch comparison video, aka "Wenches with Winches"

A couple of us wenches got together to do a quick side-by-side winch comparison, as we wenches get asked all the time about the different winches we have used. The top 3 Q's: How fast? How loud? How reliable? We attempt to address the first two in the video...

Here is the link to the video on our Jeep School Facebook page, so you can enjoy the ensuing questions and discussion:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...=share_comment

Here it is raw on Youtube:
Winch Comparison (aka "Wenches with Winches") - YouTube

Enjoy and happy trails,

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Very cool, that's a nice side by side compare.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #3 of 26 Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice video... show's you spend a little more money, you get what you pay for.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Great video! I've been looking at those Super winch SR series for a while but there isn't much feedback on them.

[
post #5 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

That was a great comparison. Can we see that between Warn & Superwinch?

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #6 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

My experience with the Warn (most recently the Powerplant) is that they perform (and are priced) more comparable to the Superwinch, but, tend to draw more amps. Until recently, Warn did not offer synthetic line on their winches due to a drum concern. The main focus of the video was to show what you get for the $ difference.

Nena Barlow

post #7 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Rock God

post #8 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Granite Guru

You can pick up that model SuperWinch for about $1000 rather than $1100. I did and I like the it a lot.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Made in China?
post #10 of 26 Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Nice video... show's you spend a little more money, you get what you pay for.
It should be nice to live in a world where ~$650 or 144% of the less expensive winch is just a "little more money"...
post #11 of 26 Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaterguy View Post
It should be nice to live in a world where ~$650 or 144% of the less expensive winch is just a "little more money"...
Correct but most people buy a winch as in investment not for just looks. If you are expecting to use your winch for more than just looks, I would have to spend the "$650 or 144%" more and know that when you need it it will be there. Also they didn't mention that Superwinch has the Talon Series rated at being able to work 75ft under water, so if you were to end up in a mud and water pit that happened to be above the winch the Superwinch would be able to work. But for occasional use the Recon is a good product and will work fine but it is very doubtful that it will last as long as the Superwinch Talon series.

Great video ladies, I will be referring customers to it on YouTube for sure.

Thunder Motorsports, Inc
828.252.8550 - Coker - Owner
Teraflex, Rough Country, Poison Spyder, SmittyBilt, Superwinch, Bushwacker, Powertank, Nitto, Falken, BFG and many more

post #12 of 26 Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

i'm not trying to be argumentative. But that looks to me like a difference in gearing... not so much pulling power.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #13 of 26 Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

218:1 recon
148:1 talon

YUP, i was right! the talon also only has a 5.2 hp motor and the recon has a 6.5...

superwinches are kinda known for having crappy noisy motors too... it's kind of their thing lol. that being said i have a superwinch X9 that i'd trade for a recon if anyone wants to buy me one

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #14 of 26 Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

I love my Recon

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #15 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Correct but most people buy a winch as in investment not for just looks. If you are expecting to use your winch for more than just looks, I would have to spend the "$650 or 144%" more and know that when you need it it will be there. Also they didn't mention that Superwinch has the Talon Series rated at being able to work 75ft under water, so if you were to end up in a mud and water pit that happened to be above the winch the Superwinch would be able to work. But for occasional use the Recon is a good product and will work fine but it is very doubtful that it will last as long as the Superwinch Talon series.

Great video ladies, I will be referring customers to it on YouTube for sure.
Just because someone buys a "value minded" winch, it doesn't mean that it is just for looks. The Four Wheeler Multi-Winch Shootout (which I'm sure you have read) proves that value minded winches like the ENGO ($299 MSRP) will prove as tough or in most cases tougher than the expensive "you get what you pay for" winches like the Superwinch, Warn and Bulldog (all around $1,000 MSRP) that broke after the Stall Test.

FYI, I don't sell winches or am related to any business that does.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaterguy View Post
Just because someone buys a "value minded" winch, it doesn't mean that it is just for looks. The Four Wheeler Multi-Winch Shootout (which I'm sure you have read) proves that value minded winches like the ENGO ($299 MSRP) will prove as tough or in most cases tougher than the expensive "you get what you pay for" winches like the Superwinch, Warn and Bulldog (all around $1,000 MSRP) that broke after the Stall Test.

FYI, I don't sell winches or am related to any business that does.
Agreed. I just picked up an Engo 12k winch after reading the shoot out and doing a side by side compare. Engo has the same warranty as Warn, kicked its butt off in testing, and costs 1/4 what the Warn does. It also survived the full submersion test without a hiccup. To me it's a no brainer....

I don't mind spending money to have quality gear, but more money isn't always better quality.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I agree that for the light recreational user who doesn't rely on their winch day in and day out, an economy winch can be a viable option when they just want to have something "just in case". For those of us that use our winches all the time, it really makes a big difference when the engage knob works smoothly, the remote cable doesn't pull out or get all tangled around your feet or the Jeep when reseting, or a drum that doesn't get smoking hot on any moderate to difficult recovery. Everyone has different needs!

Nena Barlow

post #18 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Nice Video we just put on the Super Winch! Good thing we didn't go cheap!!!
Thanks
post #19 of 26 Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
218:1 recon
148:1 talon

YUP, i was right! the talon also only has a 5.2 hp motor and the recon has a 6.5...
You are absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
I agree that for the light recreational user who doesn't rely on their winch day in and day out, an economy winch can be a viable option when they just want to have something "just in case". For those of us that use our winches all the time, it really makes a big difference when the engage knob works smoothly, the remote cable doesn't pull out or get all tangled around your feet or the Jeep when reseting, or a drum that doesn't get smoking hot on any moderate to difficult recovery. Everyone has different needs!
So, you would not recommend a Warn because of it's in drum brake and lack of a coiled remote?

It's an interesting comparison between winches, but there are problems. One, the Recon is not a $450 winch. The Recon you see being sold out there by a certain company for $450 is actually a refurbished unit that has no factory warranty, only a warranty by the company that refurbishes them and disappears if the company goes belly up (a new Recon has a lifetime mechanical warranty unlike the short three year warranty you see on the $450 one). The non-refurbished Recon actually sells for around $700 so it's not in the budget winch category... That's more middle of the ground. Also looked like a brand new Superwinch vs a well used Recon judging by the rope.

I'm not saying the Recon compares to the Superwinch... Superwinch is better hands down. Just probably not the best winch to use for a budget comparison because outside the refurbished units, the Recon isn't one of the cheap-os out there.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
You are absolutely correct.

So, you would not recommend a Warn because of it's in drum brake and lack of a coiled remote?

It's an interesting comparison between winches, but there are problems. One, the Recon is not a $450 winch. The Recon you see being sold out there by a certain company for $450 is actually a refurbished unit that has no factory warranty, only a warranty by the company that refurbishes them and disappears if the company goes belly up (a new Recon has a lifetime mechanical warranty unlike the short three year warranty you see on the $450 one). The non-refurbished Recon actually sells for around $700 so it's not in the budget winch category... That's more middle of the ground. Also looked like a brand new Superwinch vs a well used Recon judging by the rope.

I'm not saying the Recon compares to the Superwinch... Superwinch is better hands down. Just probably not the best winch to use for a budget comparison because outside the refurbished units, the Recon isn't one of the cheap-os out there.
All good input. I did not say that I DON'T recommend Warn--I used Warns for years with great satisfaction. However, when synthetic line started becoming available, I started looking at differences. There is a reason why, until just recently, Warn winches were not available with synthetic line. Even now, you still cannot get a PowerPlant with synthetic. Kudos to Warn for testing their stuff and knowing its weaknesses. A coiled remote is nice, but not a deal breaker, IMO--just a nice safety feature for those of us that are constantly dancing over and around cable.

Interesting that you thought the Superwinch was much newer--it's actually close to the same age, with maybe only a couple fewer recoveries under it's belt. The Recon looks much worse, even though I have kept a cover on it, too. I would say that the line on the Recon is cheaper--it frayed and faded pretty quickly, while the Superwinch still looks new. Both have been in the mud and dust, and both have been cleaned regularly.

Recon was the cheapest and least expensive winch that I personally owned, so that is all I had for comparison.

Obviously, this is giving everyone food for thought, which was my goal here. It's up to everyone to decide what they like and what is really the most practical for their purposes.

Nena Barlow

post #21 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Rock God

And they're all great observations! Going back and reading what I wrote sounds a bit critical, which isn't what I meant in it. I would personally recommend a Superwinch all day long over that one you tested it against. The added bonus is that the synthetic line on the Superwinch is made by a company that makes some of the best rope in the industry, which now that you said that winch was well used doesn't surprise me.

I get asked about that Recon all the time and just wanted to clear up the real story behind it. It's not a true cheap winch, but everyone thinks so because of that company selling the refurbed ones.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Rock God

I don't care how fast it is or what .. As long as it gets my ass out of a Hole/unstuck !:i20thank20you:
post #23 of 26 Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM

I realize this thread hasn't been active in a couple of months - so I apologize for raising it from the dead. I just happened to run across this discussion earlier today while searching for more info on Recon winches and the mention of someone selling refurbished units at a lower pricepoint definitely concerned me.

Since I was planning to buy from Truck and Winch (who aren't a site sponsor, but seem to be the primary source for Recon winches), I reached out to them via their web site and asked for clarification...

Shortly after submitting my inquiry, I received a courteous response and proceeded to exchange a few emails with their representative. He very clearly indicated that they do not sell refurbished units. To quote him exactly: "Our winches are all brand new from the factory, in brand new packaging and the only use that these motors ever get is when they wind the rope onto the drum, and verify the amperage it is drawing is sufficient."

Sorry I don't post here more often (mostly just read up when I'm looking to buy new parts) but other than being a potential customer, I am not affiliated with Recon or T&W at all. Just wanted to relay my findings in case anyone else had similar concerns.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Rock God

Interesting response. When asked about the T&W winch prices on Recon (we are a Recon distributor, but mostly sell their lights... we don't sell their winches, so I don't consider T&W a competitor), I was told by Recon that T&W sells refurbished units. Nothing wrong with that at all and I certainly wasn't knocking on T&W, but not sure why the discrepancy...

Per the Recon site:

"RECON's new Pro Performance Series Winches & Brute Force Series Winches are the best money can buy & we back that statement up with a limited lifetime warranty."

Per the T&W site:

"Backed by a 3 year warranty from TruckandWinch.com from date of purchase."

post #25 of 26 Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Wheeler

My Recon has performed pulls that more than push its limits...

I would trust it to hell and back. Speed is not a good judge of a winch... nor is pulling a 2 door jeep on level ground.

Jeep with Recon winch recovers a box truck - YouTube

Recon 10,500 winch bobcat recovery - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode