JK Diesel Timing belt fail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK Diesel Timing belt fail

These weekend, I went to pass new year's eve, with my parents, put all my womans on the jeep at 9:00 pm, and headed north, at 2:00 am, something goes wrong, and the engine suddenly stops going at 80 mi/h, without lights and 4 asking faces on the jeep, called highway service, they took the jeep to the next toll, where there was light enough to check, take out tree bolts to expose the timing belt (was my first impression), and voila few missing teeths from the timing belt. Tomorrow I'm going to get the car from the tow company and start to disassemble to check damage.

94.000 KM in case you ask, 100.000 KM timing belt maintenance

IMPORTANT UPDATE,

I bought the jeep used, and all indicate that Chrysler put their hands on the odometer, taking down the kilometers to the number I bought the jeep with.

Anybody with access to the Chrysler system to check what was odometer on his last recall applied? PLEASSSEEEEE

With these number I can open a case and ask for the replacement of the complete jeep!!

2007 Wrangler Diesel CRD, 35" Cooper discoverer, AEV 3.5" premium

Last edited by chileanjk; 01-03-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I really need your help here, I need someone with access to the Chrysler system to check the odometer from the last recall done.

If you can help me please PM me.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

could you use carfax?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

That is terrible. I had a CRD here in the States and did a timing belt job on it at 96,000 miles and the timing belt looked great. If it fails like yours did, it will wipe the engine out. They are interference style engines and when the timing belt goes, so does everything else. Sorry to hear about this.

Here in the states, a head and engine repair goes from $4,000 to $7,000 dollars. This is the reason that I traded my CRD for this gas JK... even though my CRD was running great at the time. The unknown scared me.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
could you use carfax?
do you know how carfax works? I'm outside the states, what if I pay the bill and nothing shows up becouse it is outside the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
That is terrible. I had a CRD here in the States and did a timing belt job on it at 96,000 miles and the timing belt looked great. If it fails like yours did, it will wipe the engine out. They are interference style engines and when the timing belt goes, so does everything else. Sorry to hear about this.

Here in the states, a head and engine repair goes from $4,000 to $7,000 dollars. This is the reason that I traded my CRD for this gas JK... even though my CRD was running great at the time. The unknown scared me.
This is not about a part failing, these is about Chrysler practices, this vehicle was used as a rental vehicle for Chrysler and then they changed the odometer to sale the jeep

I own a liberty CRD and I change the timing belt at change time, I even made a howto for lostkjs.com, but as they changed the odometer I could'nt figure it was time for change.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 PM
j5
Granite Guru

Garage

bump for a good cause
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru

this vehicle was used as a rental vehicle for Chrysler and then they changed the odometer to sale the jeep

I don't think Chrysler changed anything!? If something was changed it was when it was bought and sold by the rental company! I wish you luck also....this must really suck to say the least. I hope you can track this down and let us know how things are going. Make phone calls after phone calls and DON'T give up!

Sorry, I can't help. But I wish you the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode