Educate me on changing tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Educate me on changing tires

I'm looking to change my oem sport tires for mud terrain's of the same size. Will the change be nothing more than a mount and balance? Will the different tire throw off the abs? Are mud terrain's noisy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Rock God

Same size no problem. Mount them up and go. You might notice a slight change in the ride since the tread blocks are farther apart than normal street tires and it will get worse as the tires wear down. Nothing major, more like a small vibration. And yes, mud terrains will be louder than street tires.
Do you have a set of MT's picked out? what are you looking to do with the jeep that you want MT's? You might want to check out the Goodyear Duratrack. It is an agressive All terrain that has amazing traction in snow and Ice and does real well in mud as long as its not too deep. Not too loud on pavement either and relatively inexpensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks so much for all the information. I really don't have any special plans for the jeep I just love the aggressive look of those tires. I didn't purchase anything yet I was just doing my homework. The Good Years sound like the better choice gonna look into them...thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Your question has been answered accurately.

Don't forget to look for some low mileage Rubicon take offs (Craigslist). Some people are crazy with their asking prices but many more are quite reasonable. It could save you some money and they are only very slightly larger than your 265/70 sport tires.

Good luck.

Marcus

post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Rock God

Thanks for your blessing Marcus. My Tatton shafts and PR44 are doing great by the way!

Ron, Where in NY are you from? Check out the Long Island Tread, someone is selling an almost new set of Call of Duty edition Rubi wheels (black wheels) with the BFG KM's. They would look great on your white 2 door.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great stuff guys.....I'm in westchester county ny not far from long island at all. Gonna check out the forum and craigslist.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
cgm
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkron View Post
Great stuff guys.....I'm in westchester county ny not far from long island at all. Gonna check out the forum and craigslist.
i just picked up some rubi m/t's off craig's list for my sport. i paid $600 for tires with 400 miles on them. i thought it was a decent deal... not great, but not bad.

The duratracs are also a great tire. i am not sure how far you want to travel, but i was in contact with a guy selling 5 265/70/17 duratracs with a few thousand miles for around $750. the tires are in danbury ct. if you are interested, pm me and i will direct you to the seller. it was too far of a drive for me, but it might be worth it for you.

As for the differences on road, i havn't put too many miles on them yet. they are not all that much louder. people have reported lower mpg's, but i have not put enough miles on them to get a sense of any hit on economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode