opinions on stubby front bumpers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

opinions on stubby front bumpers?

I have been looking at front stubby bumpers.
I think I like the poison spider, metal cloak and warn versions.

I would like to run auxiliary lights (stock or aftermarket) in the bumper (similar to sock) and a winch.

I like the idea of a hidden winch in the bumper, but it seems if thats the case you loose the lights.

Any over heating issues with the warn stubby with the winch on top style?

Opinions?

Reccomendations?

Warnings?

Oh yeah....

almost forgot...

Experts only please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Rock God

Stubby's do allow for more room for bigger tires, but don't offer as much front end protection when on the road compared to a mid-width or full-width.

There are several companies that make stubbies that retain the factory fog lights, but very few that have the winch recessed. Rugged Ridge, OR-Fab, Rock Hard, LoD, PureJeep and Hanson make stubbies that retain the fog lights.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock Krawler • Synergy • JKS • LoD • Goodyear
post #3 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the Rugged Ridge XHD. It has spots for stock fog lights, a semi recessed winch plate, and you can put whatever you want on it. Stubby, mid, full, hoop, etc. I have no end caps and just ordered a stinger. If money is an issue at all, here is a great deal on one. You can find the accessories for the bumper on here for a great price too, but you might have to do some waiting and hunting. They only get the parts that get returned for small issues (hints the name scratch-n-dent) but its worth the 40-50% off in my opinion.

http://scratchndentparts.com/index.p...products_id=70

Edit: looks like it sold, but i'm sure there will be more on there soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have the PSC RockBrawler Lite, with factory fog lights, and the warn power plant. I really like this set up. The bumper is solid, the fog lights fit perfectly, the only issue was the winch. I had to drill the mounting holes longer to get the winch to fit (the jeep does not have the winch on it in this picture)
Attached Images

post #5 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas44k View Post
I have the Rugged Ridge XHD. It has spots for stock fog lights, a semi recessed winch plate, and you can put whatever you want on it. Stubby, mid, full, hoop, etc. I have no end caps and just ordered a stinger. If money is an issue at all, here is a great deal on one. You can find the accessories for the bumper on here for a great price too, but you might have to do some waiting and hunting. They only get the parts that get returned for small issues (hints the name scratch-n-dent) but its worth the 40-50% off in my opinion.

http://scratchndentparts.com/index.p...products_id=70

Edit: looks like it sold, but i'm sure there will be more on there soon.
I browse the scratch and dent website from time to time, it is operated by thejeephut.com. I went with a RR XHD too. I think for the price it can't be beat and it is modular, meaning it can be customized for stubby, full width, stinger hoop. Whatever your heart desires. The winch plate is recessed but not hidden. That said, it doesn't compete with the style of the PSC Brawler Lite.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold

Last edited by Daniel_M; 12-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
post #6 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Granite Guru

I have a RR XHD too but I'm selling it because I want a full length in the front:

American by Birth! Southern by the Grace of God!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

I have zero cooling issues with the winch on top. I run lights attached to the winch fairlead just fine.

I run a poison spider bfh, about as stubby as they come. The added clearance to get my tires on objects has been very handy.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have ACE's stubby and this thing is freaking beefy. It has a built in front skid too so your auto sway bar disco is protected. Also comes plain, bull bar or stinger. I like mine a lot.

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
post #9 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Girl View Post
I have a RR XHD too but I'm selling it because I want a full length in the front:

Hey Southern Girl! Glad to see you here, free of tyranny!

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
post #10 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
Hey Southern Girl! Glad to see you here, free of tyranny!
Yea...got banned for being on other forums with the same name...oh well...was getting tired of all of the jack asses giving out bad info over there anyhow! Glad to see you here!

post #11 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

If you don't mind a little cutting of the frame, the Poison Spyder BFH is a great option. (You'll lose your stock fog lights, but that doesn't mean you can't run lighs above your winch. )

And you have three options in the front tube - Brawler Bar or Trail/Comp stinger.
post #12 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
If you don't mind a little cutting of the frame, the Poison Spyder BFH is a great option. (You'll lose your stock fog lights, but that doesn't mean you can't run lighs above your winch. )

And you have three options in the front tube - Brawler Bar or Trail/Comp stinger.
Merlin too. Hey there

post #13 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Girl View Post
Yea...got banned for being on other forums with the same name...oh well...was getting tired of all of the jack asses giving out bad info over there anyhow! Glad to see you here!
Thats stupid. Banning people for talking about blacklisted vendors I can kinda understand. But for being on other forums? Are you serious?

post #14 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you don't mind cuting the frame (and have the tools/ability ((it's not that hard)) to do it) then you can't go wrong with the BFH.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #15 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
Thats stupid. Banning people for talking about blacklisted vendors I can kinda understand. But for being on other forums? Are you serious?
Yep...glad I no longer feel under the thumb of tyrants! That place should be considered a cult....

post #16 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM

I was just in this debate and ended up going with the Hanson shorty. But it was a close race with the PSC rockbrawler.
post #17 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
I was just in this debate and ended up going with the Hanson shorty. But it was a close race with the PSC rockbrawler.
That's a nice one too. Clean lines. (Just didn't want to drop $800 on a front bumper! )

My only question is how "vertical" is the stinger? I can't tell from this pic, but it looks like it is almost going straight up.

post #18 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Rock God

How about recessed winch and factory Fogs. Shaffer's Off-Road.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #19 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Granite Guru

I went for the cheapest, simplest bumper I could find. Ended-up with Benchmark Design's sport winch bumper. I like it a lot, but hesitate to recommend the company because people have had so many problems with their customer service. I think the bumper looks similar to the bumpers on the military JKs.

1997 TJ with LOTS of stuff.
2011 2DR Rubicon with stuff.
2012 JK8 with some stuff.
post #20 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well since the other two BFHs are on here...BFH with brawler bar

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #21 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo

I definitely prefer a stubby front bumper. I'm running a Red Rock Fab, which sadly is no longer available. Here it is right after mounting the Warn winch, but before I stuck the Fogs back in.

Here it is buttoned back up after unspooling the steel cable and replacing it with synth.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •
post #22 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the PSC BFH with brawler bar and love it, I have a set of duallys waiting to be put on, you do have to cut the frame but it was worth it IMO good luck with what you pick out. Also I went through Jason at KOR he got me a great price and is a great guy to work with.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #23 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Wheeler

The OP doesn't mention where he's from, so I'll bring up the issue of being carefull, as stubby's are not street legal in many places.

Instant ticket here, 2 points on licence $171. fine and 14 days to remove and have re-inspected.

I'm still looking for a full track width attractive looking front bumper that is reasonable in price.

'12JK-U Rubi /Dynatrac ProRock 44 / 4:88's / 2.5 Old Man Emu Susp Lift /F&R JKS Trac Bars /OME Long Travel Shocks /BilstienSS /TereFlex Control Arms /Coast1310 /Eng Oil, Evap, Rear Diff Plates, LoD Rock Sliders /Duratracs - 35's /BlackRock Wheels /Zenon Wheel Flares /DetachFlaps /LoD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier /K&N/Engo10,000S Winch/FloorLiners /Uniden 510
post #24 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg View Post
The OP doesn't mention where he's from, so I'll bring up the issue of being carefull, as stubby's are not street legal in many places.

Instant ticket here, 2 points on licence $171. fine and 14 days to remove and have re-inspected.

I'm still looking for a full track width attractive looking front bumper that is reasonable in price.
subscribed .....

2011 Rubicon unlimited. Bone stock for now

08 Commander...

2006 Ram 2500 CR on 6'' True Performance suspension by.....Thuren Fabrication

post #25 of 44 Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got a brawler light and a warn on it and love it. Couple guys here got the same one after they saw mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode