Help! E-Brake shoes stuck, cant remove rotor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help! E-Brake shoes stuck, cant remove rotor

My e-brake shoes are stuck and I can't remove the rotor. I can get it about half off, but then it feels like something in the e-brake is preventing the rotor from coming off. I'm guessing there may be a lip in the drum, but how can I get it off? There isn't enough room to get to the adjustment star wheel inside.

Any ideas?

On a side note, working in the driveway with a 4 degree F wind chill sucks.

Thanks,
Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Is there an adjustment or a split in the cable you can disconnect? If not try a big hammer. Then replace pads if necessary.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I disconnected the cable at the brake assembly. Its just a hook on the end of the cable that pulls a tab.

Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Rock God

You read my mind.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

The are two tabs that hold two dogbones (not sure if that is what they are called, but it gives you a visual).... those two tabs need to be slid off the ends of the dogbones and you should be able to disassemble the shoes. There are three springs in there as well... watch your fingers!

EDIT: was working on my rear end and this was on the screen!

Last edited by abendx; 01-02-2012 at 04:58 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you for the suggestion! It looks like there is an access plug on the back of the hub to get to the star wheel. I'll try that tomorrow night and report back. Hopefully the shoes are just stuck in a worn groove in the drum.

Thanks again!

In Progress
To Do
post #7 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Awesome, thank you for the diagram. I was able to see those two clips in the tiny gap I could open up.

In Progress
To Do
post #8 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Hope you get it all taken care of.

Stay warm man!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Follow-up

Sorry to necro-post, but I ran across this thread again and wanted to add a little follow-up.

The pins that Abendx referenced did the trick. Had I known at the time that those pins, clips, adjusters, and springs came in a $19 kit from Autozone, I would have knocked the head off from behind the shield and been done with it. Advance Auto had the same kit for $38. The stealership has the parts individually, and they are really expensive. One kit does both sides.

New parking brake shoes are nearly impossible to install without removing the axle shaft. The flange is in the way and there is way too much spring tension. The key word here is NEARLY impossible. I spent a few hours on one side got it done, then got smart and pulled the 4 bolts that hold the axle shaft in, used the rotor as a slide hammer and did the parking brake in a few minutes.

If your rotor is ever stuck because of the parking brake getting stuck in a corroded rotor, knock the head off the 2 parking brake pins, spread the shoes at the adjuster end and pull the adjuster and adjuster spring out, remove the 4 nuts from the axle shaft retainer plate, and pull the whole mess off the end of the axle. Build the brakes back up without the axle shaft in place then re-install the axle shaft.

Hope this helps.

Bryan.

note: the Auto Zone kit has parts 5,7,8,9,10, and 11 in the diagram above plus some white lithium grease.
note 2: there is an arrow in the casting on the end of the axle and an arrow stamped into the actuator (#4 above). Make sure they are pointing the same way. Add some lithium grease to #3 and #4.

In Progress
To Do

Last edited by gt3073b; 10-01-2012 at 08:59 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

I know this is an ancient thread but it reminded me of my wifes acura last year. I went to change her rear brakes and I had the same problem, couldnt get the rotor off because of a lip on the ebrake drum. Nothing was working...even took off the ebrake cable. I was pissed and broke out the BFH. Mistake!

I beat the rotors until they broke free spewing a shower of ebrake clips and springs all over the driveway....I did this to both sides. HAHA. That acura was on jackstands for three days waiting on parts....I broke alot of shit and wound up having to dissasemble the entire rear end of the car to fix my mess......Hubs, sway bar, control arms...everything had to come off.

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #11 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 04:55 AM

So I also had this issue, it feels like something on the side closest to the front of the jeep is holding the rotor to it, the parking brake shoes are fully extended. I used some persuasion with a flathead to get mine off. I pulled it far enough from the assembly to see a notch in the parking brake shoe, then pried it off with a prybar.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2017, 11:09 PM

I'd like to help you. But I have no idea of it.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkims1995 View Post
I'd like to help you. But I have no idea of it.
quality first post. Welcome to JKO

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode