14 bolt vs gas tank? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

14 bolt vs gas tank?

hey guys,
i'm doing research for the next build. I am planning an unlimited running a front 60 (probably from a superduty). I have read the tone ring, bracket, coilover and link solutions and feel comfortable with it. My questions are for the rear. I have a 14 bolt ready to go. I read that the gas tank is in the way on some of the ford axles. Is this the same case with the 14 bolt? Is it the pumpkin location or link locations that gets in the way? (most builds i have read mention moving the tank, but i'm not sure why) Also, Would a 3 link similar to the rock krawler set up be able to handle a 14 bolt on 40s or should i go with a triangulated 4 link?

i don't have the project rig yet or i would just measure these things. My wife is an accountant and doesn't like suprises, so i have to have all my ducks in a row before i jump in.

thanks,
michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Rock God

You should be fine with a 14 bolt depending on what type of link setup you do. With some of the one ton axles out there the pinion is slightly offset to the passenger side wich will cause it to contact the fuel tank.
Such is the case with the sterling 10.5 that I will be running, but its really not that big a deal seeing as most who are doing these one ton swaps typically 4 link the rear.
Look up Co4lo's build as well as some of the others on here, lots of helpful info.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for chiming in. Not that relocating the gas tank is bad, just trying to keep it somewhat simple. i'm leaning toward a rear 3 link similar to the rock krawler set up so links wouldn't be in the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Rock God

Did you get the 14 bolt in? I am looking to do either a sterling or 14 bolt. If I don't have to move the gas tank that will make things much easier.

STOMPER Off-Road
post #5 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

you won't have to move the gas tank with a 14 bolt. Just decide on your which companies 3 link set up. the single triangulated 4 link uses the upper arms in triangulation. which means you would have to relocate the gas tank.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Rock God

You could also consider stretching the wheelbase a few inches, should alleviate any issues with contacting the tank.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode