Anyone else just "wrap" their license plate in the stock location? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 12-31-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anyone else just "wrap" their license plate in the stock location?

Forever ago, after my second broken license plate holder, I figured I'd just cut off the stock light and mount the plate to the tub using the stock bracket holes. I notched the tail light to hold the light, it was intended to be temporary..but has been fine for over two years.

Anyone else done this with theirs? Haven't seen it, just sharing the idea.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

I kinda did the same thing
2 self tappers into the corner armor and a trailer light

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #3 of 45 Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 PM
JKO Addict!

The wife wrapped the front one

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I like the look. Its the center of the spare tire mount that I hate. That's where Jed Clampit put his license plate before driving to Beverly Hills.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #6 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Wheeler

I wonder what that would do for photo radar cameras?

'12JK-U Rubi /Dynatrac ProRock 44 / 4:88's / 2.5 Old Man Emu Susp Lift /F&R JKS Trac Bars /OME Long Travel Shocks /BilstienSS /TereFlex Control Arms /Coast1310 /Eng Oil, Evap, Rear Diff Plates, LoD Rock Sliders /Duratracs - 35's /BlackRock Wheels /Zenon Wheel Flares /DetachFlaps /LoD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier /K&N/Engo10,000S Winch/FloorLiners /Uniden 510
post #7 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg View Post
I wonder what that would do for photo radar cameras?
Probably nothing, there is hardly any curvature to it. But it is covered from a pretty decent angle from the spare tire, we don't have such devices out here.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just busted my license plate holder yesterday as well.

Did you put anything on the back of your plate to keep it from vibrating and rubbing paint or did you just firm it and screw it on?

I may give this a shot but the down rail from my Gobi rack may be in the way.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Last edited by TCdawg; 01-01-2012 at 06:47 AM.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Just busted my license plate holder yesterday as well.

Did you put anything on the back of your plate to keep it from vibrating and ribbing paint or did you just firm it and screw it on?

I may give this a shot but the down rail from my Gobi rack may be in the way.
I have some very thin "foam tape" that you'll find at lowes/home depot near the garage/door weatherstripping..comes in a roll. I use that to keep the majority of it off the tub.

I pressed the plate against the tube to show where it needs to be bent, removed it and bent it more so it'd hold tighter.

post #10 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 06:44 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

I like that idea... in fact, tried it for a while. Still kept pulling the plate off!?!? SO.... after a couple of attempted locations that I didn't like, the plate now sits between the two hinges on the tailgate, secured with some good double sided tape. Works well... and haven't been harassed yet over the lack of a plate light (surely it will occur at some point). I only wish I had decided on this location a long time ago as the plate looks like it was in a bunch of wrecks. lol.
post #11 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
I like that idea... in fact, tried it for a while. Still kept pulling the plate off!?!? SO.... after a couple of attempted locations that I didn't like, the plate now sits between the two hinges on the tailgate, secured with some good double sided tape. Works well... and haven't been harassed yet over the lack of a plate light (surely it will occur at some point). I only wish I had decided on this location a long time ago as the plate looks like it was in a bunch of wrecks. lol.
I haven't had any issues. It's sucked up very tight to the tub. If I catch the plate, the tail light, gas fill cover, fender and lots of paint are going with it!

post #12 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Yeah, my plate looks pretty rough right now too, it took a pretty good shot. Why a tree would jump in my way I'll never know, treeacide maybe.

TC

post #13 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I did this when I had my TJ, hadn't considered it on the JK. Not sure how I feel about it with the angles, the TJ had that nicely bezier'd corner. Definitely solves the plastic plate holder issue without all the BS involved in moving it to the Jed Clampit location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #14 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Forever ago, after my second broken license plate holder, I figured I'd just cut off the stock light and mount the plate to the tub using the stock bracket holes. I notched the tail light to hold the light, it was intended to be temporary..but has been fine for over two years.

Anyone else done this with theirs? Haven't seen it, just sharing the idea.

I like this!!! What are you using for the plate light? Where did you get it?

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #15 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I did this when I had my TJ, hadn't considered it on the JK. Not sure how I feel about it with the angles, the TJ had that nicely bezier'd corner. Definitely solves the plastic plate holder issue without all the BS involved in moving it to the Jed Clampit location.
I did this with my TJ as well but I actually bought a curved bracket, I think it was made by Warrior if I remember.

I'm working on this now. Just sanded and primed the two areas of the tub that bent in a little and cracked the paint. Heading to Home Depot to get some foam strips of some sort to put between the plate and the tub.

I ripped the small brackets that hold the small steel screw holes in so I'm going to use small bolts...I can get my hand up in from behind to hold a nut.

TC

post #16 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
I like this!!! What are you using for the plate light? Where did you get it?
That is the stock light actually, it met the dremel.

post #17 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I relo'ed it to the spare in the back after ripping off my stock LP (mount and all) figured it would be nice and protected there.

I did wrap the front (a little) on the PSC stinger though.

post #18 of 45 Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

I wrapped my front on around the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper. I was looking at wrapping the back when I do my crusher corners.

However, in NJ there is a law that states you may not bend or fold a license plate. I guess that will get filed under the same category as mud guards, tires not extending past fenders, full width bumpers and max 4" height increase without special inspection.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #19 of 45 Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is mine, followed Goodys lead, used some 3/16" foam gasket along the inside of the plate to keep it off the tub. Came out real nice.

TC

post #20 of 45 Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Nice, plans for a light?

post #21 of 45 Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Nice, plans for a light?
Probably a 3" LED strip light stuck up under the tail light.

TC

post #22 of 45 Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had it riveted to the tub like that on my TJ. Failed inspection for it too.
post #23 of 45 Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That is the stock light actually, it met the dremel.

Cool ...pick-up some new Dremelbits and looks like this will be my weekend project!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #24 of 45 Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Wheeler

I've done this to all of my jeeps, the JK is the first to not have a tag light in the tail light. I used an led.

post #25 of 45 Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Did mine today, hated that bracket!

All plug and play, uses the factory LP light plug so you can remove the tail assembly as one piece.

Finished result.

Light output.

Should I have blurred my plate number???

So there it is, a small, yet satisfying mod that can be done on the cheap and keep you from tearing that POS plastic holder off and warping the body where it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in