Need some help (starting issues) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Need some help (starting issues)

I replaced my OEM batt a couple weeks ago with a Duralast Platinum (gel).

No issues until a couple days ago.

We had a cold snap that pushed temps down into the 30s for a few nights, but never thought anything of it.

Go to start her up yesterday and I get the dreaded click...and subsequently the windshield wipers arose just to give me the --->

Thinking "Damn...dead battery? What did I leave on?"

Didn't leave anything on...not the wipers either.

So I jump it with my V8 truck and let it run and everything is fine. No more issues with starting her for the rest of the day.

Fast fwd to this morning.....Same damn thing. No start.

But this time, I try to jump her with a 6cyl car....and now she won't even start at all. Windshield wipers keep coming on each time however.

Okay-

So she will take a jump from a V8 but not a 6cyl.

No sign of anything draining the battery.

Let her run for a long while, then turn her off...and 5 seconds later...shes dead again..

I will be checking the alt, starter, and will test the batt...but any fairly certain guesses as to what happened or what it sounds symptomatic of??

Thank you guys. I know this ain't rocket science but I am guessing that more than a few have had the same issue, and can nail it down pretty quick.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Granite Guru

Possibly alternator, or a bad cell. I'm having issues in the cold also, jumped twice and dumped the clutch once. Took mine to Advance Auto today and they said the battery tested fine but the alternator looked a little weak.

2008 JK 2dr
2.5" Rock Krawler System, 35" Goodyear Duratracs
BFH Front, Genright Aluminum Carrier
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCo_Fox View Post
I don't care whose fault it is, somebody is going to get a kick in the dick and a swat on the twat.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Check the connection on the - terminal... Mine has a little slop.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWolf View Post
Possibly alternator, or a bad cell. I'm having issues in the cold also, jumped twice and dumped the clutch once. Took mine to Advance Auto today and they said the battery tested fine but the alternator looked a little weak.
I'm thinking alternator as well. Really trying to figure out why she will take a jump from a V8 but not a 6cyl..dunno.

I guess it could also just be a bad battery...b/c there's no way that a brand new gel-cell batt should have any problems from a few hours of freezing temps. I'll have to check the alt.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjr View Post
Check the connection on the - terminal... Mine has a little slop.
Yep...checked all connections...and checked for anything strange....blown fuses, anything burnt, frayed, corroded...everything looks fine upon quick inspection.

Much appreciated.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Grab a multimeter. Nothing will tell you more.

I'd honestly lean toward a faulty battery, break out the meter.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Grab a multimeter. Nothing will tell you more.

I'd honestly lean toward a faulty battery, break out the meter.

Sent via paper airplane
Thanks Goody. I need a new multimeter. Mine has no business being around a JK..lol.

Will check tomorrow.

post #7 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM

When this happens shift it into neutral and see if it starts. Some people have also been able to just push up on the shifter and it will start. (There is a TSB that list the problem as ground issue or TPS sensor)

Here is a long thread on it.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12985
post #8 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepjeep View Post
When this happens shift it into neutral and see if it starts. Some people have also been able to just push up on the shifter and it will start. (There is a TSB that list the problem as ground issue or TPS sensor)

Here is a long thread on it.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12985
Thanks. Yep...I read that thread before and thought about the TSB, but I already tried it in neutral and in gear. I'm just starting to think that its the battery or the alternator.

I appreciate the reply.

post #9 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Granite Guru

Like Goody said,check with a multimeter. Also, when it is running disconnect the battery and check the alternator. Is the battery still under warranty?

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #10 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Granite Guru

Corroded cables will also cause similar issues.

Brent
post #11 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Like Goody said,check with a multimeter. Also, when it is running disconnect the battery and check the alternator. Is the battery still under warranty?
It's still under warranty. Will check alt tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent13 View Post
Corroded cables will also cause similar issues.

Brent
This is a concern. I had corrosion on the OEM battery neg. And although it wasn't too far into the cable...it's been a concern.

I also hate to say that the same neg terminal on this new battery...is already showing signs of corrosion as well...(???)

post #12 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Rock God

Disconnecting the battery while it's running will not check the alternator. It will just kill the engine. It's been tried and verified before.

Checking the battery voltage while it's running will be a better check of the alternator.

People have added a large ground wire between the battery negative terminal and the alternator bracket mount bolt to solve this type of problem.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

That would be my guess too. Bad cell in the battery or weak alternator. As mentioned check the voltage at the battery before starting and then when it's running. Should be around 13.5-14 volts or so if the alternator is working good. You could also ohm out the battery cables if you disconnect them to see if they're still good (disconnect them from both ends and touch the tips of the multi meter to opposite ends of the cable). I'd check the battery and alternator first as its easier.

Also the reason the v6 car may not have started it where as the v8 truck did, might be that the truck has a much better alternator/battery and was able to bring yours up enough to start? Just a thought.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 30 Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I will say this as loud and clear as I can... THE ALTERNATOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH STARTING A VEHICLE. Good, now that we're clear on that, we can move on.

The battery is the key to starting a vehicle and supplying power to it. The battery supplies all of the voltage that the vehicle uses. The big misnomer is that the alternator supplies vehicle power, WRONG! The battery does that, the alternator merely tops off what is used by accessories and drivetrain needs. If the battery has a bad cell, or is low on electrolyte then the rest of the vehicle and its electrical system suffers.

Stub, meter time. Your battery should have 12.6 volts or close to that, if not then its suspect automatically. Once the vehicle is started and running, you should see between 13-16 volts at the terminals. If not, then the alternator could be what is causing the battery to die.

Oh, and pulling battery cables on a running vehicle is a bad idea with the computer controls on board. That was a good diagnostic tool when vehicles had generators. There are better ways to test vehicles now.

Hope this info helps A little Stub...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Rock God

the only thing I have noticed on all three jk's I have owned is that the negative terminal connection always sucks. No matter how much I tighten it, it can still be wiggled around on the post. I will tighten it up and then I take a socket that will fit around the post but still fit on the terminal and gently tap it down some more onto the post. I had a very similar issue with starting after the install of a new battery and this is what fixed it. Hope yours is as simple.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Do not do this on anything made within the last 20 years or so. The current spike in power has been known to fry a few modules...

Why you would want to check it with a multimeter then do that is beyond me..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Try rotating the - on the post. I shit you not, it is probably the issue. Corrosion is moisture in the air reacting with a bad/loose connection, or two different metals coming into contact. I also found out the hard way that it could also be acid and the metals.

If you check with the mm, check both touching the terminals on the battery and the leads that are connected. The JK has a shitty connection.

The other problem that I had was when I got my new engine put in, they didn't put all the grounds back into place... so also go over all the grounds attached to the tub. This also was causing it to not shift properly.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Quote:
post #18 of 30 Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere in the system to me. Then again, I'm no expert, but I did shit at a Holiday Inn last night!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Will recheck connections...esp the neg terminal, run a check on the battery, and then look at the alternator.

JKCTAZ- I know what you're saying is correct...but again, the alt is suspect right now...since this is a brand new battery.

Will check everything..

post #20 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Battery tested at 100% full cap.

Soaking cables in baking soda right now. Lots of corrosion.

Still trying to track any loose connections.

I just don't think the alt is bad...Will test later.

post #21 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Banned

This happened to a dude in our club. He chased everything down and found out it was his starter. Brand new battery wouldn't start until jumped and had all the same thing happening blah blah blah.

I don't know shit about electricity hence why I have a sPOD, but he put a new starter in, no problems.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Granite Guru

After my recent problems the best I could come up with is that I drained the battery too low and alternator couldnt make up the difference. I jumped it off a few times and would run fine but then would not start back up. I finaly let the batery sit on charge for a while and this seemed to do the trick. A mechanic friend of mine came by the firehouse yesterday and tested it and everything was good no more problems cranking and it got down in the teens here last night.

2008 JK 2dr
2.5" Rock Krawler System, 35" Goodyear Duratracs
BFH Front, Genright Aluminum Carrier
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCo_Fox View Post
I don't care whose fault it is, somebody is going to get a kick in the dick and a swat on the twat.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
This happened to a dude in our club. He chased everything down and found out it was his starter. Brand new battery wouldn't start until jumped and had all the same thing happening blah blah blah.

I don't know shit about electricity hence why I have a sPOD, but he put a new starter in, no problems.
Thanks man. I sure hope that's not going to be the case, but stranger things have happened on JK's with only 16k miles...ugh. POS.

EDIT> LOL at the the PM. Thanks for the link.

post #24 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Okay...who above suggested corrosion issues??

BINGO!!

Thank you guys for the help....Fired right up!!

Time to rock that title!

post #25 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Glad you are back on the road!

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode