Bolt on vs welded stingers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Bolt on vs welded stingers?

Curious what the collective thinks. There's a decent amount of front bumper manufacturers out there that incorporate a bolt-on stinger or winch guard to a base bumper vs welding one on. Some that come to mind are Metal Cloak, Pure Jeep, EVO, RR. Maybe it's all about the design... Say the attachment location(s) are the same, do you think bolt on stingers are as structurally sound as (proper) welds?

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I don't have a stinger but I wouldn't worry about it. Either should be fine. But if you are looking at bolt on ones just see if the design of how it attaches makes sense to you. If its well designed and good hardware is used it should be fine.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Can you post pictures of the bolt-ons?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Mark,

It all comes down to distributing pressure/stress. Let's say you have a stinger on your bumper, and you tip forward placing the weight of your rig (and our 4-door JKU's are NOT feather-weights) on your stinger/bumper combo..., well when this happens the speed of the roll/tip coupled with the weight of the vehicle and the decline of the roll/tip, will give you the force or pressure that you'll place on your bumper/stinger combo.

Although Grade 8 bolts are extremely strong, especially when mounted through the bumper mount at the frame (like I believe the EVO, and perhaps others do), those bolts will shear at some point. There is a much higher likelihood of shearing the bolts with a bolt-on stinger at the bumper/frame mounts, because 100% of the load or force, will be placed on the stinger/bumper bolts FIRST, and then if it makes it past the bolts, it will transfer the load or force onto the next thing in line.

If you have a welded bumper/stinger combo, then you reallocate the force or load of the vehicle across all of the welded points on your stinger, and if done correctly, to your entire bumper, which then steps down the load or force to your bumper, and then the frame mounted bolts.

My preference is the welded option, which is why I went the route I did, but as they say..., "Opinions are like..."

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|

Last edited by cruzcode; 12-30-2011 at 06:13 AM.
post #5 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

I never understood why it would be bolted on(eps with the EVO one)I mean there stuff is supposed to be bomb proof, and I'm sure it's strong but why bolts???. Welded just always seemed like a stronger option to go with
post #6 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

check out the tubing that some of them are made out of.

jeepnick had i think the orfab one on his jk. it crumpled like a tin can.

that has been replaced by DOM welded in place

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60915

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #7 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Coonasian

Garage

Welds fail pretty regularly as well, especially loaded quickly as a tip onto a stinger by a loaded JKU would do. I also agree that some pipe and tubing is just worthless and mainly for show, not actually stopping Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #8 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the Rugged Rudge XHD with the bolt on stinger. I like it, it's beefy and a lot of us run them, however I don't know if I'd trust it completely vs. a stinger that is incorporated into the design of the bumper, say for a PSC BFH for example. If it keeps the Jeep from flopping forward on a rapid desent once, than it was worth it IMO.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #9 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Welds fail pretty regularly as well, especially loaded quickly as a tip onto a stinger by a loaded JKU would do. I also agree that some pipe and tubing is just worthless and mainly for show, not actually stopping Jeeps.
I would have to disagree with your theory that tubes are "worthless and just for show".

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #10 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
That goes back to my op about a lot probably has to do about the design - and proper welds. As weld on stingers go, personally I'd always go for a design that had additional triangulation/gusseting behind the main part (like Rick's above). (Though I have to look more, I not sure if any stinger manufacturers don't gusset...)

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #11 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Welded.

post #12 of 39 Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

Welded.
Strong as an Ox on HGH. Nicely done!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #13 of 39 Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

I can tell you first hand the RR is about a POS. During a trail run over the summer, i nicked a 4" sapling with my bolt on RR XHD during a three point turn. Stinger damn near folded on it's self... Got yanked from the Jeep that Sunday evening. Don't trust em to save you Jeep and do what they ere "designed" for.

My 2 cents.

post #14 of 39 Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I've rear ended a CRV and slammed mine pretty hard when trying to reverse up a rock and stalled. PSC's holds up pretty decently.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #15 of 39 Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

Anyone have any good pictures of their stinger actually saving them from going over?
post #16 of 39 Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Having personally just recently been in a JK with a welded stinger run directly into a tree , I know that the Poison Spyder stinger can hold up to some serious stress. We hit right on the tip of the stinger too. I don't know if a bolt-on could have kept up.

(Start at about 39 seconds if you want to just watch the impact.)

JK Owners Wheeling For Toys 2011 Highlights - YouTube
post #17 of 39 Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoiiiiojk View Post
Anyone have any good pictures of their stinger actually saving them from going over?
Yup. Another local guy in his TJ.

bottoms up at tuttle creek 3/28/10 - YouTube
post #18 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 04:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Yup. Another local guy in his TJ.

bottoms up at tuttle creek 3/28/10 - YouTube
Man that makes my butt pucker.

post #19 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Having personally just recently been in a JK with a welded stinger run directly into a tree , I know that the Poison Spyder stinger can hold up to some serious stress. We hit right on the tip of the stinger too. I don't know if a bolt-on could have kept up.

(Start at about 39 seconds if you want to just watch the impact.)
You know if ya'll would quit running up that hill at full throttle it wouldn't be so torn to shit!

Nice video, he hit the shit out of that tree.

(Just an annoying e-wheeler suggestion, try to get the spotters to refer to the direction a little clearer. Turn "driver" or "passenger" is much clearer than "toward me". )

post #20 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 AM
j5
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
I would have to disagree with your theory that tubes are "worthless and just for show".

RC
Where's the pic where it actually did something?
post #21 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5 View Post
Did you not see the videos two (& three) posts up, where a stinger is actually doing something?
post #22 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you were going to get a bolt on (like EVO), why wouldn't you go ahead and weld it on as well as bolting it in place?

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #23 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5 View Post
Because video was not enough.

Last edited by Chicken Corners; 04-10-2015 at 06:41 AM.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

I'd just like to point out most of these situations can be avoided if the drivers don't freak out, get of the brakes, and get on the gas!

post #25 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Strong as an Ox on HGH. Nicely done!

RC
Thats jeepnicks. Here's mine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode