PSC Brawler Lite Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

PSC Brawler Lite Install

Hello everyone. I just purchased a PSC Brawler Lite with Brawler Bar front bumper and was wondering about install. Used the search function and found a couple guys had installed this bad boy, but didn't provide much detail.

Anyone care to share their experience in installing this bumper? How long did it take? What tools were needed? Is it a 1 person job?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I did mine, took a couple of hours. Take off your stock bumper and fog lights. Before you put your bumper on put the fog lights in on lift it up and bolt in place. It's pretty simple, not real heavy. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

It's a super easy install. You just need basic hand tools (can't remember which ones, download the instructions). One person is doable, but two is always better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
One person is doable, but two is always better
Better to have two people. You need one person to hold your while you're wrenching.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

Fairly easy install my husband I did mine and didn't take too long

2011 Mango Tango Rubicon Unlimited
2.5 Teraflex coil lift with shock adapters, poison spyder brawler light bumper with skid, xrc 8 comp winch
post #6 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

simple install, did mine alone. But I agree with "someone to hold your" choice of beverage while wrenching . It's a great looking bumper.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did the install myself...
What I can tell you is that the expectation is you will reuse the stock screws for the fogs. Ummm yep! right into the steal which strips them if you actually do it. Not a big deal if you don't plan to take them out for any reason lets say one brakes. Recommend you find a better way like drill the holes just a little bigger to put real bolts in or thread it to put in screw. I am sure you can come up with a bunch of ways that work better. (Almost anyone can and I think it is kind of shitty that it is put on the customer but just my .02 since cheaper bumpers like rugged ridge set it up and send you bolts. Few cents and a little time goes a long way to the customer...)
Install the fogs before you install the bumper it is complicated if you do it the other way.
I found that the bottom inside nut on both driver and passenger side doesn't snug for whatever reason. You may want to add another washer or something to allow for it to snug up. It gets tight but spins like it is stripped when you get close to getting it 100%.
Have fun painting! Near impossible to get paint in everywhere and you have to spend extra time to get all the fun stickers off of the bare steal. In my case the bare steal had nice rust on it (more then the fingerprint kind) and ruff spots; which was a Ton O Fun! Thanks PSC! I frikin gave up and sent it off somewhere.

Good luck with your install I am sure you will love it!

Last edited by peanut; 12-29-2011 at 03:05 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 AM
Rock God

did u get the skid plat that bolts to the bottom of the bumper?

if so there are 9 bolts that that attach the skid to the bumper. i had issue with the two bolts directly under where the bumper mounts making contact not allowing the bumper to slide all the way to get the nuts on the bolts. i beat my head against it so much trying to figure it out.

i took those two bolts out and shazam. now mine is held together with 7 bolts... no big deal.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking to get this started as soon as PSC ships me the damn thing!

To answer the above question, I did not by the optional skid plate. I certainly would have if funds, at the moment, permitted. I've heard that installing that piece requires some modification (crash bar, maybe?).
post #10 of 22 Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSPHI View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking to get this started as soon as PSC ships me the damn thing!

To answer the above question, I did not by the optional skid plate. I certainly would have if funds, at the moment, permitted. I've heard that installing that piece requires some modification (crash bar, maybe?).
you have to trim part of the crash bar off for proper fitment. i just went to my powdercoaters who also do fab work and got them to cut the entire crash bar off and grind them down smooth.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to demeeder

Quote:
I've heard that installing that piece requires some modification (crash bar, maybe?).
A sledge hammer modified my crash bar enough to make for an easy install.

2009 4dr Rubicon | 35" | 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm
post #12 of 22 Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeeder View Post
A sledge hammer modified my crash bar enough to make for an easy install.
Really? What exactly did you do to the crash bar? The skid just bolts onto the brawler lite, right?
post #13 of 22 Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Really? What exactly did you do to the crash bar? The skid just bolts onto the brawler lite, right?
Yes but you have to trim the crash bar on the ends! Also if I remember you cannot use two of the bolts that hold them together ( have a rubi not sure if that is why )

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Anybody put a winch on one of these yet? I just got the bumper and Warn M8000--planning to install on Saturday.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Anybody put a winch on one of these yet? I just got the bumper and Warn M8000--planning to install on Saturday.
Should be pretty straightforward. Get the Poison fairlead mount plate, and all of the predrilled holes should line up with the mounting holes in your winch. Then, run the cables under or through the grille and to the battery and you're set.

Should take about 10-15 minutes at the most.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yes. Just get the fair lead like said above and it's an easy install. You might want a second person just to help line up the holes. Assuming the bumper is installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm guessing you have long since installed your bumper, but I thought I'd chime in (for others looking to purchase this bumper)...

I just installed my bumper and winch. I thought the winch would come with a fairlead mount but it didn't. I don't think that's news to most people - just my first time and something I overlooked.

Anyway, the instructions can be found on the PSC website. It was a fairly easy install. I hit only a few snags - I couldn't use two of the nuts/bolts that attach the skid plate because they hit the frame. Also, I had to widen the holes on the frame/bumper mount of the Jeep on the passenger side - they didn't properly align with the bumper. I believe that tolerance issue is with my Jeep, not the bumper (just to be clear).

If you decide to use their skid plate, things are just slightly more tricky - you must either cut off the crash bar, or trim it down and drill holes into it to fasten the skid plate to it. I opted to just cut the crash bar off. I think that the reason behind drilling the holes and bolting the skid plate to it is because it would rattle and vibrate unless it has been snugged against it (just a guess).

As for the winch mounting, the passenger side - front bolt was the trickiest of the 4. The passenger side rear bolt was also tricky but much easier than the front bolt. The two on the driver's side were a cinch.

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 03-20-2012 at 10:15 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
I'm guessing you have long since installed your bumper, but I thought I'd chime in (for others looking to purchase this bumper)...

I just installed my bumper and winch. I thought the winch would come with a fairlead mount but it didn't. I don't think that's news to most people - just my first time and something I overlooked.

Anyway, the instructions can be found on the PSC website. It was a fairly easy install. I hit only a few snags - I couldn't use two of the nuts/bolts that attach the skid plate because they hit the frame. Also, I had to widen the holes on the passenger side - they didn't properly align with the bumper. I believe that tolerance issue is with my Jeep, not the bumper (just to be clear).

If you decide to use their skid plate, things are just slightly more tricky - you must either cut off the crash bar, or drill holes into it to fasten the skid plate to it. I opted to just cut the crash bar off. I think that the reason behind drilling the holes and bolting the skid plate to it is because it would rattle and vibrate unless it has been snugged against it (just a guess).

As for the winch mounting, the passenger side - front bolt was the trickiest of the 4. The passenger side rear bolt was also tricky but much easier than the front bolt. The two on the driver's side were a cinch.

Nice Jeep.

Trimmed my crash bar as well...didn't cut it completely off though.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #19 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Nice Jeep.

Trimmed my crash bar as well...didn't cut it completely off though.
Thanks! Ahh, that's right - I forgot you also have to trim it down (make it narrower on the sides) if you use it.. Did you bolt the skid onto it? If not, does it rattle/vibrate?

post #20 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
Thanks! Ahh, that's right - I forgot you also have to trim it down (make it narrower on the sides) if you use it.. Did you bolt the skid onto it? If not, does it rattle/vibrate?
Just out of curiosity, how do you like the Superwinch Talon?

Timmay

[
post #21 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you like the Superwinch Talon?

Timmay
Well, in all fairness, I haven't tested it yet.. Will let you know when I do!!

post #22 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Please do. I'm really interested in that winch.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode