Soft Top Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Soft Top Question

My 2012 came with the Dual Top Group. Delivered with the hard top in place, and the soft top is mounted in the cargo area. Was doing some reading last night and read that the soft top must be removed from the vehicle, cannot be kept attached to the vehicle as damage is possible. Not sure how it would be damaged? My question.........Manual states hard top muct be removed in order to remove soft top!!! Is this true? No way am I prepared to remove the hard top to get the soft top out. Anyone pulled this stunt off without removing the hard top (HT)? I did see that there are a few bolts that need removal that have their bolt heads facing the HT glass, thus maybe no room for a tool. Any Dual Top Groups owners out there with experience on this issue?

Thanks,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

You have to remove the hard top to get the soft top frame out. You could pull the soft top without the frame but I would not recommend it as it leaves the frame in place and defeats the purpose. It would also be a PITA to reinstall. Not sure how the soft top would get damaged while in there but if you don't plan to use it you could just take it out and sell it.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you need help figuring out how to do it I can help you out but you would need another person to lift the hard top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you for the feedback. Well what a clusterf(*^ this will be. I can't believe the HT has to come off for this! I am all for soft tops, and no top, but sure don't want this project right now. As far as I can tell, my HT is not leaking, but what are the odds that I get it back on and still remain leakproof? Crap!!! Guess it is time to rig up a top removal hoist. Was thinking a 2x4 wooden frame, eye-bolt in the ceiling, and a come-a-long. Sounds like a good weekend project. Anyone with a picture of a home-built HT removal system?

Thanks,
Brent
post #5 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I believe it is referring to damage to the top from loading and unloading cargo. The top should stay safe as long as you keep that in mind while traveling, etc.

You know what they say: People in glass houses sink sh-sh-ships.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Damage potential noted. Well, need to get the darn thing out, as loading anything in the cargo area is a pain with the soft top there. It is coming out this weekend, hopefully. Will be a good time to get to know the process for HT removal. Soft top is going on come end of March, but don't think I want to wait 3 months with very little cargo space.

Brent
post #7 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

its not that big of a deal, hardly a clusterfuck. Just take off the panels, undo 6 bolts and you and a buddy lift from each side. Just be careful, as they are back heavy because of the rear glass. Find a soft place to set it down for a minute, and you're good to go.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent13 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Well what a clusterf(*^ this will be. I can't believe the HT has to come off for this! I am all for soft tops, and no top, but sure don't want this project right now. As far as I can tell, my HT is not leaking, but what are the odds that I get it back on and still remain leakproof? Crap!!! Guess it is time to rig up a top removal hoist. Was thinking a 2x4 wooden frame, eye-bolt in the ceiling, and a come-a-long. Sounds like a good weekend project. Anyone with a picture of a home-built HT removal system?

Thanks,
Brent
It's WAY easier and cheaper to just buy some beer and call two friends. Two people can remove a HT with a bit of struggle, three people do it easy as pie. Rather than jackassing around with pulling the HT just to REMOVE the soft top.. why not pull the HT, store it and just go with the soft top. Unless you'll be doing a ton of highway speed driving when it's 10f or below, you'll be fine. The heater will keep you plenty warm.. and the soft top does hold in more heat than you'd expect.

YMMV

RW
post #9 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

And while you have the hard top off - sell it. Soft top is the way to go

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GambrinusRover View Post
It's WAY easier and cheaper to just buy some beer and call two friends.
Added notation - though your wife or gf might be the most easily accessable for a two person removal, make all attempts to find another person(s) for said task. The purpose of this is two-fold: (1) wife/gf dropping their portion of the HT does not make for pleasant dinner conversation, (2) wife/gf stuggling with their load during removal process may initiate/increase resentment towards jeep and therefore negatively affect future mod purchases.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #11 of 14 Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

All tips noted and appreciated. I just may go with the soft top install, and call it good for the rest of winter. Jeep is parked in the garage every night. I can seel the HT, love that top. If it is warm enough this weekend, soft top may go on. Think I read that the temp needs to be above 41 degrees in order to roll out the soft top?

Brent
post #12 of 14 Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Remove HT in the driveway ( unless you have crazy clearance in the garage ) Pull the jeep into the garage... crank up the heat... wait a bit. THEN start playing with the soft top. The warmer ANY soft top is, the easier they are to deal with. The windows tend to get VERY hard to manage when cold.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have "crazy clearance" in the garage, and HT will be stored as high as I can get it in the garage. No heat in the garage though. We have been in the 50's, so I will fire up my portable heater, see if that gets me a few more degrees.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

HT has been removed! It is currently suspended from the ceiling. Four eye-bolts in the ceiling, two 16 foot tie-down straps, and top is off, $60 and about one hour install. It will get easier each time I do it. I probably won't sleep well tonight for fear of the top falling. Tomorrow I will either remove the soft top and remove and set the HT back in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode