Remote Start Issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-26-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Remote Start Issue

My 2012 with 500 miles, remote start has taken a crap!!!! Push the button twice, horn honks, but does not start. Anyone have any issues with remote start. I did install a new front bumper last night, to include unplugging the fog lamps, and re-installing into the new bumper. I used the remote start last night, after the bumper install, and it worked. Later last night, leaving to head for home, tried remote start, and did not work. Any buttons I could have pushed to some how "turn off" remote start?? I have no idea what happened, too eraly for issues!!! Taking to the Dealer tomorrow, but would sure like to avoind the 30 minute drive to take it in.

Thanks,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

By chance what is your fuel level? I have a 10 and noticed a while ago that if it's under a 1/4 of a tank the remote start won't kick in.

Sent from my imagination.

2010 JKU Sahara
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 9550 Shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17
Superchips Flashpaq
post #3 of 23 Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Can you install a remote start with a manual transmission? I have been thinking of having one installed but heard that most places wont do it on manuals due to potential safety hazards. Anyone know?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Can you install a remote start with a manual transmission? I have been thinking of having one installed but heard that most places wont do it on manuals due to potential safety hazards. Anyone know?
My buddy had a remote start done on his manuel cummins, but they made him sign some kind of a wavior saying their not reliable for any damage. I guess it kind of depends on the place you take it and how bad they wont the money.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Wheeler

Open then close the doors again. Make sure all your doors are closed right. If they aren't, I believe it won't work.

I heard of a lady who put remote start on her manual car. She had it valet parked and when she went back she walked to her vehicle. She hit the remote start. The car drove forward and hit another car. The valet attendent parked it in first gear and didn't set the brake.

Joe
Det. Yellow 4dr Rubicon
post #6 of 23 Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Rock God

Sounds like you may have a door not completely closed. I'd check all of them first, give em all a good shut and try the remote start again.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #7 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Rock God

if its the factory remote start, the fault codes will show up on the EVIC display.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #8 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

Make sure the doors are shut and locked it wont start otherwise.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

We have a winner!!!!! The damn doors were the issue. The rear gate was pinching the floor mat, thus ajar! What a moron I am, but thankfully avoided a trip to the Dealer. Thanks all, you all nailed the issue. I also did some reading last night, as posted above, fuel level is also a potential reason for remote start not working. If low fuel warning is on, no remote start. Smart feature for sure..... Thanks again.

Brent
post #10 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

One more nanny for you: Remote start will only come on twice. After the second cycle the key must be used to start the vehicle before the remote start will work. If you accidently set off the remote start (sitting on your keys maybe?) or have a daughter that likes to press buttons you may find your remote start not working one morning!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM

Remote start will also not work if you have left the wipers on when you shut it down last or if the hood is not latched closed.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Granite Guru

But factory remote start WILL work if doors are not locked. 2 beeps, doors lock and vehicle starts (if doors are closed correctly and there is sufficient fuel).
post #13 of 23 Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 PM

2008 Wrangler remote start

I have a 2008 Wrangler and when I use the factory remote start it will start and shut off in about 10 seconds. I have plenty of fuel and the doors are locked and shut. Any Ideas? I wonder if there is a timer that is bad?
post #14 of 23 Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I just had my remote start installed and the place said they do manuals. Sounds like they program it so when you park, you have to do a series of events so the remote start works later. Like hitting break x amount of times then ebreak etc. Basically triggering to work later and verifying it's not in gear.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD4 View Post
I have a 2008 Wrangler and when I use the factory remote start it will start and shut off in about 10 seconds. I have plenty of fuel and the doors are locked and shut. Any Ideas? I wonder if there is a timer that is bad?
was wondering if you ever figured this out I have a 2008 and it is doing the exact same thing. it starts up when I press the button on the remote runs for a few seconds and then for no reason just shuts off.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbarrentine View Post
was wondering if you ever figured this out I have a 2008 and it is doing the exact same thing. it starts up when I press the button on the remote runs for a few seconds and then for no reason just shuts off.
It's possible it's related to the security system. Sometimes when I got to start mine the jeep does not recognize the key and engines turn off in a few seconds
post #17 of 23 Old 12-27-2015, 12:09 PM

I was messing around with it and I unhooked the battery for a half hour and reconnected it and now everything works fine.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Compustar makes one for the manual. I had it on my TJ and it's flawless and fool proof. No way to start Jeep while it's in gear.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM

I just found the problem with mine. Thank you Billy Pete! My remote start was not working since yesterday. Husband took my 2008 Liberty Limited 4x4 in for new tires and they must have popped the hood for some reason (maybe to do with the tire pressure sensors...IDK not my field of expertise. Or maybe my husband opened the hood but doesn't remember) and it wasn't latched properly. After reading the comment about a door not shut completely or the back window not being latched securely, I went out to check my situation. I opened everything and shut it all back up, tried the remote start again and NOTHING. Then I noticed it....the hood was not closed properly. And to think, I drove home and back to work this morning with the hood that way. There was no warning light on the dash. So thank you all. I feel pretty good about doing the research and finding the problem on my own (with the help of some of your comments) instead of waiting for my hubby to do the detective work. :-)
post #20 of 23 Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

For others who may use this thread. If check engine light is on, the remote will not work.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #21 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD4 View Post
I have an '08 Rubicon with the same issue. It's not doors, hood, or fuel. This has been an ongoing issue, even after clearing check engine light. Any thoughts?
post #22 of 23 Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I also have an 08 (Sahara) experiencing this issue right now. I just replaced the alternator because the battery terminal was bad and the poor connection fried the internal voltage regulator. I need an O2 sensor so i had CEL read and realized i have voltage low codes lingering. Based on other comments, I think either the active CEL or lingering codes are causing it to shut down. I plan to pull the reset fuse up tomorrow to see if that fixes it.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I also have an 08 (Sahara) experiencing this issue right now. I just replaced the alternator because the battery terminal was bad and the poor connection fried the internal voltage regulator. I need an O2 sensor so i had CEL read and realized i have voltage low codes lingering. Based on other comments, I think either the active CEL or lingering codes are causing it to shut down. I plan to pull the reset fuse up tomorrow to see if that fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode