Winch line install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Winch line install

Ok I have a question and maybe somebody out there can help me with it. I was trying to install my new syn winch line tonight all was going well until I tried to re use the set screw on my warn winch. The damn thing is to short to go all the way thru the thicker metal end cap on the syn line. I know there must be an easy fix short of waiting until morning to buy a longer bolt. Can anybody help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Patience, just buy another bolt it doesn't need to be very tight either. Grinding the end of the brand new line due to not wanting to wait isn't the best idea.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 12-23-2011 at 08:05 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Rock God

Garage
Possibility

You could grind or file the clamp down or if the line thickness is hampering things you can tightly wrap tape around it. Obviously getting a new bolt is the best way. Or drill another piece of scrap metal as a temorary clamp... Christmas Eve tomorrow... might not be open...

I've devised clamps for a broken winch cable before ... It can be a bear...

Good luck

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the advice, but being a fellow jeeper you know how it is when you get new parts Another quick question the one that came out is only about a quarter inch long at most and has a rounded head with an allen head, do I need to find the same type?
post #5 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys but I think your right I'll just put it on hold tonight and check at Lowe's tomorrow,
post #6 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I've only had experience with a Smittybuilt Synthetic line that was packaged as part of A Smittybuilt XRC-8 Competition winch package (belongs to Mrs. "Demeeder's" Jeep). But it came with the right length screw/bolt.

I would say the same as everyone else and that is to wait until tomorrow and go get the right length one....never compromise a tool/winch that will be needed to save you down the line!

U.S. Army
post #7 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

TXROCK thanks for the advice it just so happens that this one is a Smittybuilt line as well. It's metal endcap is a little thicker than the one that was on the steel cable. Hope I can find one local just don't want to have to order a little bolt and wait for days
post #8 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Pick up a stainless steel one from Ace Hardware. Thats what I ended up doing.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
I've only had experience with a Smittybuilt Synthetic line that was packaged as part of A Smittybuilt XRC-8 Competition winch package (belongs to Mrs. "Demeeder's" Jeep). But it came with the right length screw/bolt.

I would say the same as everyone else and that is to wait until tomorrow and go get the right length one....never compromise a tool/winch that will be needed to save you down the line!
If this is the small clamp part I think it is it reallys doesn't matter as long as it holds the line secure for winding... you should never winch beyond the last row ... always be sure that the rope passes over itself at least once so it will bite on itself ... especially if the load is straining the winch. As a rule I prefer to have at least 3 wraps over the last spool as a safety measure. Honestly... that little clamp is not intended to hold anything other than keeping the line in place for winding... so it doesn't spin on the drum.

You probably knew this already... Another little trick is you can wrap the end of the rope with electrical tape and wind the tape on the drum as a temprary keeper once the rope bites on itself is shouldn't go anywhere ... that doesn't work for cable though... I've done that when I broke my little clamp before... I would only do those things to get by temporarily though. More important to be safe ... mishandling a winch can get ppl hurt.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...

Last edited by ezfriday; 12-23-2011 at 08:33 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank's Mr. Rock I'll just do that tomorrow when I'm workin
post #11 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd stick with using a button head screw, but I don't think it really matters. Don't forget to pre-load it when putting the line on.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #12 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM
V8 dreams

I got my replacement at lowes as well. It stuck out just a hair longer than I wanted it too. But it's rounded and smooth so it won't fray. Frustrating ain't it lol

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 12-23-2011 at 08:41 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It really is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode