Alignment issue gone worse - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Alignment issue gone worse

So I take the jk in today to get aligned and get a phone call an hour later saying I need an offset ball joint because my camber is off by 0.9 degrees. Shop tells me this happens to most vehicles after they get lifted. I have rk 3.5 inch lift with high steer kit all 8 control arms and such. What could have cause such a thing to happen? Would like input as to the fact I am new to jeeps and am not that good mechanically. Also want input before I fork out 300 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you wheel the jeep hard? Also, are your axles sleeved/gusseted? Your axle "c's" are more than likely bent which is why your camber is off. Offset balljoints will fix your issue. If you're not sleeved/gussted, and wheel hard I'd definitely suggest it.

Greg
post #3 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I don't wheel hard at all some light trail riding and occasional mudding and even then I don't wheel hardly ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Granite Guru

My jeeps camber was off from the factory. It's my understanding no one makes a offset balljoint for the jk. I just had them adjust what they could and have 11k on it with no problems. The tires seem to be wearing fine.

The only thing is when driving it seems to want to drift to the left if I let go of the wheel.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Camber on the jeep is not adjustable, so really the only solution if you want camber back to specs is the offset balljoints. I know it sucks to spend more money, but I'd do it along with at minimum c-gussets for piece of mind.

Greg
post #6 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That's how mine is except it pulls hard to the right with 11k on it as well
post #7 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What is a ballpark range for c gusset installation and what or who makes the best c gussets?
post #8 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest jeep View Post
That's how mine is except it pulls hard to the right with 11k on it as well
Do you know what all of your alignment specs are?

Greg
post #9 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
What is a ballpark range for c gusset installation and what or who makes the best c gussets?
C-gussets are relatively inexpensive. You have a bunch of different options from EVO, POLY, Teraflex, etc. I personally have the EVO sleeves/gussets. Installation cost will vary place to place, so it's hard to really say.

Greg
post #10 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I do not have the specs unfortunately. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay to get sleeved and gusseted?
post #11 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I do not have the specs unfortunately. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay to get sleeved and gusseted?
To tell you the truth, I honestly don't remember. I also got regeared at the same time. Sorry that's not a helpful answer...

Greg
post #12 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's ok bro thanks for the info. I m going to have new offset joints put in and look into the c gussets
post #13 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Granite Guru

If you go to a reputable alignment place they will give you printouts of all your specs... Granted I know the guys who did mine but they said they do it for anyone who asks
post #14 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 AM
JKO Addict!

your camber is fine from what I can tell. Your off by not even a degree

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #15 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Go onto pure jeep.com. Look up under new products, and look for there JK D30/D44 axle knuckle gusset kit. It is 200 dollars, it includes an outer backbone brace, upper/lower c gussets, lower control arm skids front and rear and a track bar mount gusset. It is a hell of a kit and the install is MUCH cheaper than a traditional sleeve and gusset, as you do not have to take down the axle with this kit, at all. You just need someone to weld it on for you, could probably find someone to do it for 150-200 bucks. That is if you do not know how to weld, or do not have a close friend/family member who knows how to that would be wiling to do it. Plus, a backbone brace(basically a heavy duty truss) is MUCH MUCH more stronger than a inner sleeve!

This was the kit that was recommended to me by Jeremy at Rock Krawler, and I had it installed there by one of their employees.

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series

Last edited by rdlynch2; 12-23-2011 at 06:08 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So I take the jk in today to get aligned and get a phone call an hour later saying I need an offset ball joint because my camber is off by 0.9 degrees. Shop tells me this happens to most vehicles after they get lifted. I have rk 3.5 inch lift with high steer kit all 8 control arms and such. What could have cause such a thing to happen? Would like input as to the fact I am new to jeeps and am not that good mechanically. Also want input before I fork out 300 bucks.
You do not need offset ball joints. They are trying to get you to spend money. Do not worry about your camber, it is fine. As long as your balljoints are not shot, you dont have to worry about getting new ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode