At long last...SHIMMY GONE! And new goodies. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

At long last...SHIMMY GONE! And new goodies.

I had been fighting a pesky steering wheel shimmy for many months and was just about at wits end. I had tried tightening every bolt I could find, installed a Poly Trackbar brace for good measure, had a couple alignments, rebalanced tires, the list goes and still it continued.

Well Tuesday I finally said to hell with it and went to Discount Tire to see about having my 35" MTRs warrantied. Fortunately I had the extended warranty certificates and DT was very cool about replacing the MTRs. I did not want a repeat performance so I went with 315/70/17 DuraTracs instead and I couldn't have done it at a better time to test them out. Colorado got hit with a winter storm last night that dumped 10+ inches around Boulder/Denver. I had to drive back to Boulder from Fourplyn's in Denver last night and the DuraTracs performed AMAZING in the snow. Barely a slip to speak of from a dead stop and I was cruising comfortably by traffic that was crawling.

Obligatory new tire photo

I also picked up a Fox Racing 2.0" Factory Performance Series Steering Stabilizer, and installed that last night with Fourplyn. I know lots of guys aren't into the pricier stabilizer options, but with a long drive to Texas ahead of me in the coming month I figured anything to firm up the steering was welcome. It's a hell of a lot bigger than the stock stabilizer, definitely firmed up steering, and so far no unwanted push left or right. Installed in the stock location for now, nothing to exciting to see there, plus it's already covered in last nights snow and slop. Plan to relocate with parts from Poly when I'm back from Texas.

Comparison photo for now

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do you think your shimmy was the result of one of the MT/R's? I know they sometimes have balance issues. Did you try having them balanced, moved front to back...

Just curious. I have the MT/R's and really love them, much more than my old Duratracs but I do have a very slight shimmy at around 45 mph or so. I have attributed it to the MT/R's just not getting perfectly balanced.

I bought them at Kauffman Tire and got the warranty and lifetime balance so i plan to have them re-balanced soon.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TCdawg; 12-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yessir, I had them rebalanced multiple times. Two of those were even Road Force balance attempts. Tried moving front to back too and still the shimmy stuck around. Whether it was a single tire to blame or multiple, I'm not sure. To be honest I was out of patience with the issue, and I'm glad to have new tires and no more shimmy. I will say though, shimmy aside, I did like the MTRs but given how well the DuraTracs have performed in the snow last night and today I don't regret the change.

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode