What to get...? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
samuelrclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Murphy, NC
Age: 27
Posts: 485
Feedback: 1 reviews
What to get...?

Okay, so lets just say that I ran into... 400$ to spend (I have a little more on top of that, but 400$ is the base level), specifically on the Jeep. But now the issue is... I have no freaking idea what to get. I am a college kid, I have a slightly modded, but nothing serious Jeep. As much as I love it, and want to use to go off-roading most of the time, I just can't. So, I am not sure what to do...

Here is what I am looking at
-AEV Snorkel: mainly because it looks cool , and I was wheeling the other day, and when through a huge ass puddle (wasn't really a puddle, more like a small pond) and I cut it off right after, man. Took forever to get her started back. So I thought Snorkel would be practical and cool.
-Front bumper (but which one???)
-Rear bumper (again, which one...? I really like smittybilt XRC)
-Rock rails
-More lights???
-Rough County 3.5 in series II lift kit (is this any good?)
-Air intake (not really need it... but maybe?)
-Interior stuff... that I don't need, but is always cool
-Winch (I would have to get a bumper first... but it would never hurt to do both)

I mean, I just don't no. I would love bigger tires and a bigger lift. But I have 4K miles on my 33's, and I don't think daddy would be happy if I just set em to the side and got 35's.

So... what to do. I no I post a lot of threads like this. But there is just so much crap to buy for these things. I mean, its fun to dream, but hard to pull the trigger. Plus, my little build is to the point that this next mod will put my jeep in whatever direction I want to go with it. Meaning like... if I do a lift, then tires will be the next big thing, and then skids. But if I do a bumper then I will have to do bumpers all around... lights will point me in the direction of a roof rack (I know they are half way pointless, but they looks awesome!). So, I mean, I really don't no... I really want to snorkel, I just don't no to much about them and if I will use it enough to weight out getting it.

And if any of you vendors have anything to say on this too... please, everyone pitch in.

Thanks in advance!

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
samuelrclark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Rock rails. Essential for wheeling....doubles as a step.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Rock God
 
AppSt59Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 38
Posts: 575
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelrclark View Post
Okay, so lets just say that I ran into... 400$ to spend (I have a little more on top of that, but 400$ is the base level), specifically on the Jeep. But now the issue is... I have no freaking idea what to get. I am a college kid, I have a slightly modded, but nothing serious Jeep. As much as I love it, and want to use to go off-roading most of the time, I just can't. So, I am not sure what to do...

Here is what I am looking at
-AEV Snorkel: mainly because it looks cool , and I was wheeling the other day, and when through a huge ass puddle (wasn't really a puddle, more like a small pond) and I cut it off right after, man. Took forever to get her started back. So I thought Snorkel would be practical and cool.
-Front bumper (but which one???)
-Rear bumper (again, which one...? I really like smittybilt XRC)
-Rock rails
-More lights???
-Rough County 3.5 in series II lift kit (is this any good?)
-Air intake (not really need it... but maybe?)
-Interior stuff... that I don't need, but is always cool
-Winch (I would have to get a bumper first... but it would never hurt to do both)

I mean, I just don't no. I would love bigger tires and a bigger lift. But I have 4K miles on my 33's, and I don't think daddy would be happy if I just set em to the side and got 35's.

So... what to do. I no I post a lot of threads like this. But there is just so much crap to buy for these things. I mean, its fun to dream, but hard to pull the trigger. Plus, my little build is to the point that this next mod will put my jeep in whatever direction I want to go with it. Meaning like... if I do a lift, then tires will be the next big thing, and then skids. But if I do a bumper then I will have to do bumpers all around... lights will point me in the direction of a roof rack (I know they are half way pointless, but they looks awesome!). So, I mean, I really don't no... I really want to snorkel, I just don't no to much about them and if I will use it enough to weight out getting it.

And if any of you vendors have anything to say on this too... please, everyone pitch in.

Thanks in advance!
just invite me and a bunch of buddies up to Macados and buy us all the schooners we can drink. that should cover about $400.

On a serious note, front bumper and some recovery gear would be a good start if you dont have a lift yet. Not saying anything bad about RC lifts but use your money on something a little more worth it.

GO APPS!

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AppSt59Dave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Rock God
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizoner
Age: 35
Posts: 998
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Personally, I would go bigger lift but not rough country. Like a 2.5”

Or front bumper (XHD?)

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Daniel_M is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
samuelrclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Murphy, NC
Age: 27
Posts: 485
Feedback: 1 reviews

See... that is what I was thinking. A front bumper and more recovery gear. I think that would be the most practical. (even though I am still stuck on a snorkel for some reason). But, idk yet... I have some time, probably not going to order until after christmas so that I can miss all the rush.

Keep the ideas coming guys!

AppSt59Dav, dude, if you are in Boone... we should meet up and talk Jeeps and shit. I cant find no one up here who really knows anything about them. Maybe thats what I get for being a chem major... no one in this department knows anything about Jeeps and 4x4. Gaaayyyy.... I saw your profile says you are 30. Figuring you don't go to App... unless you are a Super(x8) Senior. Haha.

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.

Last edited by samuelrclark; 12-22-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Saw that you probably don't go to App now... Haha.
samuelrclark is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 13,230
Feedback: 1 reviews

I wouldn't lift it. That will cost you much more than $400. By the time you get the lift, you'll want larger tires, regear it, + the snowball starts rolling. Get something quick and not related to anything else, given your situation.
  • If you play in the water often, go snorkel. It's cheaper than paying your insurance deductible on an engine (if you can).
  • As far as a rear bumper $400 won't buy crap with a swing. Wait.
  • Front bumper + winch is a good idea.
  • Rock rails are a good idea, if you wheel it on rocks.
  • Air intake; useless money waster.
  • Lights, I can bet you don't actually use the ones you have near frequently enough to justify more.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Goodysgotacuda is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Rock God
 
AppSt59Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 38
Posts: 575
Feedback: 6 reviews

I wish I was still in Boone. Graduated in 03 and moved away in 07. Good luck up there. You can always ask for a shotgun to keep if you ever go riding down Aho Road and make a wrong turn. It would have helped me when we got them pulled on us a few times. Damn hillbillies.

Bumper and winch.

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AppSt59Dave is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

I'll clarify my previous post.

I've built different rigs in my short life, mostly Toyotas. A lot of them turned out like shit because I took it too fast. With my Jeep, I'd look at my parts list and my budget and ask myself "what is the absolute best quality part I can buy with this amount of money?" I wanted a lift far before I could afford it, and I almost went with some cheap budget boost and I would have been real mad at myself down the road.

I guess I'm saying quality over quantity (or some shit like that ) Have fun, it's a good dilemma to have.


Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
samuelrclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Murphy, NC
Age: 27
Posts: 485
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I wouldn't lift it. That will cost you much more than $400. By the time you get the lift, you'll want larger tires, regear it, + the snowball starts rolling. Get something quick and not related to anything else, given your situation.
  • If you play in the water often, go snorkel. It's cheaper than paying your insurance deductible on an engine (if you can).
  • As far as a rear bumper $400 won't buy crap with a swing. Wait.
  • Front bumper + winch is a good idea.
  • Rock rails are a good idea, if you wheel it on rocks.
  • Air intake; useless money waster.
  • Lights, I can bet you don't actually use the ones you have near frequently enough to justify more.
See, this is what I have been needing. Well, I do wheel a fair amount near and in water. So... maybe a snorkel is the way to go.

I understand that I will not be able to find a rear bumper and a swing with that. I would jut have to fork up some more... which I'm okay with, as long as it is the real deal. I do not do a ton on rocks, I live in Boone, bunches of muddy hills.

And I figured the air intake was shit just thought about throwing it out there.

And the lights... you hit the nail on the head right there. Ha, I really do not use my PIAA's enough for needing more. (they would look cool though...)

So, it looks as if I am looking at a front bumper + winch. Or a snorkel. Now, I see that the only decent snorkel is from AEV. But what about bumpers? I want something that would hide the winch low, so that my stupid Jeep can suck all the air in that it needs and doesn't heat up to much and catch on fire (stupid Chrysler). And what brand winch? I understand a bunch of you are Warn fans... which I am too, but I can drop probably, 500$ bumper, 400$ winch (or vica-versa). And 400$ for a Warn, Ha! So what about smittybilt? Or any other decent brands that need some better advertising...?

Thanks for the help guys!

AppSt59Dave - Yea, there are some sketch roads around here. Haha. I don't think I have gone down that road yet. And from what you said, I don't think I will. Haha, I have done some pretty sketch ones though ("Samson" ring any bells?) I was going up to Callalantee frequently... until they closed...

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
samuelrclark is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 13,230
Feedback: 1 reviews

There are as many winch threads as there are opinions. You'll find some that love Warn, some that have had problems with Warn. Some (like me) that have no issues with Smittybilt, some that do. Goes for any brand.

As far as airflow. A winch on top of the bumper is not going to adversely change your temps. Do you have an external trans cooler (like you should with an auto). WInches on top of bumpers is about as old as the Jeep itself.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Goodysgotacuda is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Rock God
 
D5Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington SC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,116
Garage
Feedback: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

If you are in for a front bumper try a Poison Spyder BFH front and something like a Warn VR8000 or a Smittybilt XRC8 that gives you both the bumper and winch and wont rape you like some of the hillbillies in the area would.

If you want to go snorkel check out River Raider as well.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
D5Fire is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Rock God
 
peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 1,669
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelrclark View Post
See, this is what I have been needing. Well, I do wheel a fair amount near and in water. So... maybe a snorkel is the way to go.

Thanks for the help guys!
If this is the case you need more than a snorkel you need to extend all your breather lines from axles and tranny... Remember the axles are the lowest to the ground and the breathers are under the jeep
peanut is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
samuelrclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Murphy, NC
Age: 27
Posts: 485
Feedback: 1 reviews

Okay, Well what about winch size. Do I get an 8,000lb or a 10,000lb. I drive the 4 door, but I thought with the hard top and call I was pushing maybe mid 4,000lb. (maybe I am completely off, I have no clue...)

But I have heard people say to get it for 1.5x the weight of the vehicle. So... I am thinking that 8,000lb will be fine.

And I have been looking into Poison Spyder stuff and I really like it... but I am still looking. Main thing is, stubby, or mid length. And, it has to have the fog light holes, I really like my little fogs and would like to keep them. Also, do I get one with a bar mount for more lights. (I actually realized tonight driving in the rain that I use mine a lot more than I thought, so maybe 1 more set of PIAA's would not be bad)

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
samuelrclark is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
'merica
 
AvnxScout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of California
Age: 43
Posts: 2,237
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelrclark View Post
Okay, Well what about winch size. Do I get an 8,000lb or a 10,000lb. I drive the 4 door, but I thought with the hard top and call I was pushing maybe mid 4,000lb. (maybe I am completely off, I have no clue...)

But I have heard people say to get it for 1.5x the weight of the vehicle. So... I am thinking that 8,000lb will be fine.

And I have been looking into Poison Spyder stuff and I really like it... but I am still looking. Main thing is, stubby, or mid length. And, it has to have the fog light holes, I really like my little fogs and would like to keep them. Also, do I get one with a bar mount for more lights. (I actually realized tonight driving in the rain that I use mine a lot more than I thought, so maybe 1 more set of PIAA's would not be bad)
Keep in mind a pully will double the amount of pull power of the winch. Im saving for some rigids

Sent by Droid


U.S. Army

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KJ6OIT
AvnxScout is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 13,230
Feedback: 1 reviews

Many run an 8k on a 4dr, I personally wouldn't. 9000 superwinch, 9500, 10,0000, etc would do. (Amazon has some deals sometimes). You can double the pull with a snatch block, but more times than not you don't end up wanting to mess with that.

But I run a 12k on a 2dr lol

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Goodysgotacuda is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Age: 35
Posts: 99
Feedback: 0 reviews

Bigger is better as long as everything you have will hold together. I've had my Warn 9500ti stalled out with a snatch block pulling my own '91 Chevy out of a nice mudhole.
Menard666 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome