Daily driving with a manual - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Daily driving with a manual

Ok so I am still new to this jeep thing and very new to driving a manual vehicle, so being the nub i am i have a few questions, first off i have a 2010 2dr Rubicon six speed of course.

I drive about 50 miles one way to work mostly in stop and go traffic i find myself shifting at about 2000-2500 rpms is correct or should i be reving to higher rpms?

Also while shifting from first to second and third there is a sight chatter am i causing this with my poor shifting or is my clutch going bad?

And third which i would first like to thank Todd and his daughter at TWF for picking me to be the winner of the 12 bolt hummer wheels, so my question to you is how do these ride on the road i know i would have to get them re centered, is there anything else that needs to be done? Is the rock ring necessary or is it there just to protect the bolts?

I will be getting the RK 2.5" max travel pro lift within the next few months and was originally planing on running 35s to be honest i dont think i am ready for some 37s(goodyear take offs) that being said are there any decent tires out there the that fit the 16.5" hummer wheel?

Thanks for your help in advanced and sorry for all the nub questions

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Your rpm is fine, the chatter may just be to loading the engine too much..depending on your gearing a higher rpm shift or a faster shift may aid in that.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Your rpm is fine, the chatter may just be to loading the engine too much..depending on your gearing a higher rpm shift or a faster shift may aid in that.
Thanks, i have the stock 4:10 gearing i will try the higher rpm and shifting a little quicker on my way to work tonight. thanks again

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Wheeler

you could just be a little slow on the clutch... i daily drive my standard rubi in city traffic also.

post #5 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

that is where I shift. You just need to find the sweet spot for the RPM's.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

I have a 2010 non-rubicon with the 6 speed. I have a 4 inch lift and 35 inch km2s and drive it when ever I get the chance lol. Does fine in the city driving here in Denver. I usually keep it down below 3k rpm but my mileage sucks. I didn't buy it for that though lol.

No chattering or anything. However it does pop out of first a bit I solve that mess by usually starting in second until I get bigger arms and can shift
post #7 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 02:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Popping out of first happened to me twice in 42,000 miles. It was completely due to me lazily putting it into 1st gear at a light. Make sure you have a solid engagement.

Starting out with a non-Rubicon (not even 4.10 ratio) on 35s is hell on the clutch...poor idea.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
Ok so I am still new to this jeep thing and very new to driving a manual vehicle, so being the nub i am i have a few questions, first off i have a 2010 2dr Rubicon six speed of course.

I drive about 50 miles one way to work mostly in stop and go traffic i find myself shifting at about 2000-2500 rpms is correct or should i be reving to higher rpms?

Also while shifting from first to second and third there is a sight chatter am i causing this with my poor shifting or is my clutch going bad?

And third which i would first like to thank Todd and his daughter at TWF for picking me to be the winner of the 12 bolt hummer wheels, so my question to you is how do these ride on the road i know i would have to get them re centered, is there anything else that needs to be done? Is the rock ring necessary or is it there just to protect the bolts?

I will be getting the RK 2.5" max travel pro lift within the next few months and was originally planing on running 35s to be honest i dont think i am ready for some 37s(goodyear take offs) that being said are there any decent tires out there the that fit the 16.5" hummer wheel?

By chatter do you mean it bucks when shifting into those gears?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #9 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post

Quote:
Popping out of first happened to me twice in 42,000 miles. It was completely due to me lazily putting it into 1st gear at a light. Make sure you have a solid engagement.

Starting out with a non-Rubicon (not even 4.10 ratio) on 35s is hell on the clutch...poor idea.
What do you mean by starting out is hell on the clutch? You mean starting out in 2nd gear?

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #10 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
What do you mean by starting out is hell on the clutch? You mean starting out in 2nd gear?
Yes. Unless regeared.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 12-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yes with the setup you have. Unless regeared?..
Ha! I see what you did there. You got me bro!

Wouldnt starting out in 2nd gear be "hell" on any clutch regardless of your tire size?

Last edited by rdlynch2; 12-21-2011 at 03:36 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Ha! I see what you did there. You got me bro!

Wouldnt starting out in 2nd gear be "hell" on any clutch regardless of your tire size?
I thought you were the poster I was replying to. No it is not solely based on tire size. If you had 5.13s and ~35s? it's not a major deal to start out in second due to the gear reduction at the axle.

post #13 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have 5.13s and 37s; 6 speed ...I've just figured out over time when it's best to start from 2nd vs 1st.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #14 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'll usually get clutch chatter and/or bucking if I fully engage the clutch at too low an rpm...such as in a parking lot or in stop and go traffic. Shift points really just depend on gearing, but I usually shift at 3000-3500 rpm (I have 4.88's and 35s). Once you have more seat time, you'll find the sweet spot.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

That is an odd size tire but if you search on ebay you will find a bunch of surplus military tires to fit them. The old style goodyear mtr 37" tire you find there is sized small and is more like 35.5" mounted.

Chatter is most likely too low a rpm when letting the clutch out. Once you get use to your shift points there is no need to use the clutch except for from a dead stop. Rev up to around 2800 rpm let off the throttle ease the shifter out of gear, wait about a half second and ease it into the next gear.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
That is an odd size tire but if you search on ebay you will find a bunch of surplus military tires to fit them. The old style goodyear mtr 37" tire you find there is sized small and is more like 35.5" mounted.

Chatter is most likely too low a rpm when letting the clutch out. Once you get use to your shift points there is no need to use the clutch except for from a dead stop. Rev up to around 2800 rpm let off the throttle ease the shifter out of gear, wait about a half second and ease it into the next gear.
Almost like driving a 10 wheeler right? Also i will have to check out ebay for the tires thanks.

While driving to work last night i reved the motor up closer to 2700-3000 rpms and the chatter was much less like stated above i now think it was do to shifting closer to 2000 thanks for your help guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode