Which M/T? KM2 or Trail Grappler. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Which M/T? KM2 or Trail Grappler.

Can't decide between the two.Looking at BFG KM2 in 305/70/R17 (33.9x12.2) or Nitto Trail Grappler in 295/70/R17 (33.5x12). My JKU has a 2.5 RK stock mod lift, stock 3:73 gears, and stock fenders. I'm definately gonna get one of the two. BTW only $100 difference in a set of 4 through Discount tire. THe KM2's being the higher price. Got to get em in the next couple of weeks.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. You might meet em both if you show up here not welcome, son" - Josh Thompson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Go with the KM2s. BFG is/was offering a $50 gift card for purchasing a set of tires.

I don't personally know anyone who bought NITTO MTs who bought another set after that. Terrible wear patterns and not good tread life. That's what I've heard from the guys I know, though. I don't know anyone who actually wheels on them and I've never ran them, so take all that into consideration.

BFG you're paying a few bucks more per tire, but you're getting that extra investment back in terms of a quality product that will perform and last.

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
post #3 of 13 Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

the KM2's in teh snow were... different...

some love them, some hate them... i was indifferent. But i did notice that as they wore they REALLY were affected by snow.

if it were me, i'd go trail grappler... but the KM2 worked fine.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
V8 dreams

Interested in these two tires also as they are just about all that's readily available in 37. I keep hearing the nitto TG is like the Toyo, which I love. Just haven't heard why it is they are like them

Vandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #5 of 13 Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Rock God

love my km2's

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #6 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

ditto...love my KM2's rotate them every 4500 to 5K miles and they wear really even
post #7 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Interested in these two tires also as they are just about all that's readily available in 37. I keep hearing the nitto TG is like the Toyo, which I love. Just haven't heard why it is they are like them

Vandy
Toyo makes the Trail for Nitto

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

KM2s are short out of the box, that is my only issue with them. Great off-road tire in plenty of conditions.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Rock God

i don't know the specs but i do know we mounted some of the trails up and my god were they heavy. I swear that they were a 32"ish and weighed more then my 35" km2.

That said...hands down i would pick the dura trac if running smaller size tires for a daily driven rig. If they would just put kevlar and made a 37" dura trac it would be the perfect tire!!

Or at least get the KM2 siped before mounting them. Stock/un-sipped they suck in the snow.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #10 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Rock God

My friend runs KM2's on his TJ and loves em. My vote is with the KM2.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #11 of 13 Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
That said...hands down i would pick the dura trac if running smaller size tires for a daily driven rig. If they would just put kevlar and made a 37" dura trac it would be the perfect tire!!
i too wish they would make a 37 in that. it would almost have to be a big seller as there aren't many choices right now, and everyone loves that tire

2010 Silver JKU
post #12 of 13 Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nitto Trail

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #13 of 13 Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Rock God

Freshmeat, I'm surprised to hear any negative on the Nitto at all. Personal experience (both from selling tons of them to wheeling with them on the trail in the company JK, driving on the street, etc) has been nothing but good for me and I've gotten nothing but great feedback on them from those they've been sold to. This includes long term feedback as well. A lot of people are buying them as repeat customers, but that takes a while because of how long they last.

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, they're the best "compromise" tire out there. There is no way a tire can be perfect for every situation. There's always a tradeoff. They're good on the street, good in the mud and clean out fairly well, good on the rocks and comparably good in the snow compared to most MT's. That and it's a tough freakin' tire. Only one that comes close is the Goodyear MT/K, but Nitto wins that battle IMHO.

KM2, not a bad tire. Run small and I've seen some sidewall punctures that have surprised me... Nitto has about as tough a sidewall as you're going to get in a radial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode