Tow rig...... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage
Tow rig......

Well.... after a lot of thought, I think my rig is going to become a trailer queen and of course, I'll need a tow rig. As I am just starting to get serious thinking on this, I figured I'll let you guys help me with the decision.

Some important things to think about while helping me.

* Two door JK on 37s w/lots of armor making her heavy.
* No other towing is planned.
* Maybe one day I might think about sliding a popup camper in the back.
* 4wd isn't important.
* Will be replacing my car as a daily driver.

Currently, on the top of the list is a Ford F-150 FX2 w/EcoBoost engine.

I have owned one 1/2 ton Chevy truck in the past and wasn't impressed at all with the durability. Not putting them out of the running, but they lose points for this. Never owned a Dodge truck and have had several Ford trucks. I have always been happy with the Fords, but am not married to them either.

So.... thoughts, suggestions, ???

Last edited by abendx; 12-20-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Well.... after a lot of thought, I think my rig is going to become a trailer queen and of course, I'll need a tow rig. As I am just starting to get serious thinking on this, I figured I'll let you guys help me with the decision.

Some important things to think about while helping me.

* Two door JK on 37s w/lots of armor making her heavy.
* No other towing is planned.
* Maybe one day I might think about sliding a popup camper in the back.
* 4wd isn't important.

Currently, on the top of the list is a Ford F-150 FX2 w/EcoBoost engine.

I have owned one 1/2 ton Chevy truck in the past and wasn't impressed at all with the durability. Not putting them out of the running, but they lose points for this. Never owned a Dodge truck and have had several Ford trucks. I have always been happy with the Fords, but am not married to them either.

So.... thoughts, suggestions, ???

I pull with a '11 tundra with a 5.7 and i have no issues. I pulled nick's 5800 lb 4 door on my 2400 lb trailer out to AOAA and it only got 9 mpg though! usually with my TJ i'm around 11 or 12 towing.

Nick uses his '11 F250 with the 6.2 to pull his.

Ben uses his '06 silverado 3500 duramax to pull his lol.

my .02 is my gasser does fine. It never feels like it's really struggling and i personally would have no issues living with it every day vs a diesel.

i towed down to west virginia a few weeks back and a buddy pulling his CJ followed me. he was in an F150 with the ecoboost and i was downshifting on the hills more than he was (according to him, i have dual exhaust so he could hear mine).

he said his only complaint was there's some drone while towing. but he also gets 20+ mpg on the highway!!!! (empty)

if i get another 1/2 ton it'll be the ford with that engine. the MPG is so f'ing nice.

31 jeeps in... still have issues

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 12-20-2011 at 08:33 AM.
post #3 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
but he also gets 20+ mpg on the highway!!!! (empty) if i get another 1/2 ton it'll be the ford with that engine. the MPG is so f'ing nice.
This!! It is driving my thinking and it seems like it will get better mileage than my car!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
This!! It is driving my thinking and it seems like it will get better mileage than my car!?!?
He said it's all in how you drive it. If you like hearing the turbos spool it will drop. But he was getting over 20 just driving it normally.

i can tell you that nick's F250 and my tundra don't get NEAR that mpg. the ford interior is one of my favorites too. it's just really clean, it makes sense, and the dash with the color screen is realy nice.

like i said, if i get another 1/2 ton it will be this truck. i was really impressed. and power won't be an issue.

post #5 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I just recently bought a half ton and drove the Ecoboost and the 5.0 ford. The interior on the Lariat is hands down the nicest out there. Everything else didn't flip my wig.

The Ecoboost had good power but it felt light and had that same old horrible V6 sound to it aside from the turbo spool. I couldn't pay that much for a truck that sounded like a minivan. Lol!

We ended up with a GMC with the 5.3 but the main focus for this one wasn't long haul towing. I've been very pleased with all of my past 5.3L and this one is satisfactory as of this point.

In the past I was towing wakeboard boats all over the state. Most recent was a 22SSV that weighed in around 6000 on the trailer. Towed it with an 06 crew cab on 35s, a stock 03 Z71 Tahoe, and an 07 5.9 Cummins as well. The Cummins killed it, it was a dream to tow with, but it was over $100 to fill it up at the time. The 5.3 never let me down, but I wasn't in a race either.

I'd definitely go drive the Ecoboost before you get too stoked about it. I was sold after reading and watching all of the videos they have put out, but it just didn't impress me in the real world.

Good luck!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I just recently bought a half ton and drove the Ecoboost and the 5.0 ford. The interior on the Lariat is hands down the nicest out there. Everything else didn't flip my wig.

The Ecoboost had good power but it felt light and had that same old horrible V6 sound to it aside from the turbo spool. I couldn't pay that much for a truck that sounded like a minivan. Lol!

We ended up with a GMC with the 5.3 but the main focus for this one wasn't long haul towing. I've been very pleased with all of my past 5.3L and this one is satisfactory as of this point.

In the past I was towing wakeboard boats all over the state. Most recent was a 22SSV that weighed in around 6000 on the trailer. Towed it with an 06 crew cab on 35s, a stock 03 Z71 Tahoe, and an 07 5.9 Cummins as well. The Cummins killed it, it was a dream to tow with, but it was over $100 to fill it up at the time. The 5.3 never let me down, but I wasn't in a race either.

I'd definitely go drive the Ecoboost before you get too stoked about it. I was sold after reading and watching all of the videos they have put out, but it just didn't impress me in the real world.

Good luck!

Marcus
hook up a 7,000 lb load to your 5.3 and then to an ecoboost

the 5.3 is a great engine, don't get me wrong. But you have to twist the shit out of it when pulling heavy loads. i used my buddy's 5.3 to tow my jeep once and it struggled pretty bad.

my buddy kevin tows his YJ (3/4 ton axles, small block, but no steel work, no cage etc) and he can't keep up with the tundra. We were all drinking the one night and i had too many to drive home so i let him drive the tundra back to Rausch for me. with the trailer hooked up and the jeep on it he couldn't believe how easily it pulled the big hill before rausch.

i'm not knocking your 5.3. it's a good motor. But once you get fairly big (for a 1/2 ton) loads behind it you really notice it lacks the tq.

post #7 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Granite Guru

My opinion, anyone claiming 20 MPG in the new diesel trucks is pulling your leg, maybe. I had a 2006 5.9 Cummins, it would do 20 MPG if you really babied it. It was 15 city / 20-22 on the hwy (doing 55MPH). Then traded for a 2008 6.7 Cummins, clean diesel. Well, loved the truck, but mileage was 14/18 at best. Ran like a raped ape, but not meant for fuel economy. Sure it did better than a gas engine for the power it put out, but not that much better. If you want a great tow rig, get a diesel. A tad better mileage for sure, but don't expect leaps and bounds better. Will be far better puller than a 1/2 ton gaser though, night and day difference performance wise.

Brent
post #8 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
JKO Addict!

i agree diesel is where it's at. but the 7,000 dollar upcharge over the 6.2 in the F250 is hard to justify for the occassional tower... Plus you are then getting into a 3/4 ton and you have to ask yourself if you want to drive that every day... parking them in the city can be interesting.

just my .02

post #9 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

wait, you're in socal right?

what about a raptor? you could have a go fast off roader AND something to pull the jeep to the trail...

just a thought

post #10 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

This is my set up that my wife and I have had for a few years. 01 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with an Edge EZ 60 HP chip, air bags and e rated tires. Lance 935 camper and 18 ft. car hauler. The diesel pulls it no real problems. I keep it at 55-60, but it tows up the Yucca Valley grade to the Hammers and is pretty stable. There is no way I would ever want a gas engine to pull all of this stuff. Figure the camper weighs 3k wet, plus a 2k car hauler and then the Jeep. My vote is diesel!

Timmay

[
post #11 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Probably not something you would be interested in, but my dad just got a Ford F-250 King Ranch with the Turbo Diesel. The interior is great, it gets good gas mileage, and it can pull your 2 door and then some (torque for days). He's had several Dodges, Chevys, and a Tundra, but this is by far the nicest truck he's had.

Downsides are size, price, and the fact that diesel fuel is inexplicably more expensive than regular gas.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #12 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Raptor isn't on the plate.... and yes, socal.

So.... diesel. I understand that it is WAY better for towing, but also am reading a lot about this EcoBoost motor bridging the gap quite a bit. Might be hype on the EcoBoost? The only thing that will be towed is the heep and I'd guess when the heep isn't broken and awaiting parts, I get out once or twice on an average month. So.... not much towing, which makes the diesel a harder choice at the 7k+ premium. Assume, but haven't priced things out, that with that extra cash, I could easily do a nice used trailer and possibly a slide in camper. While diesel isn't off the table, I am thinking it might be overkill and not worth the expense. Correct me if I am wrong!
post #13 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

What's the tq on the ecoboost? 420? So about the same as a mid 90s powerstroke...

It'll get it done

If you want a slide in though you prolly need a 3/4 or 1 ton even if you want srw.

post #14 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
What's the tq on the ecoboost? 420? So about the same as a mid 90s powerstroke...

It'll get it done
Yep.... 420!
post #15 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
JKO Addict!

You simply can't beat a 3/4 or 1 ton turbo diesel pickup for towing. As a Ford retiree I get employee pricing on their products, so a Ford is almost mandatory around here. I towed my previous rig with an '04 F350 6.0L, and later an '06 F250 6.0L. With a 2400 lb trailer and a 4500 lb YJ on board it would cruise all day at 75mpgh getting around 11-14 mpg depending upon terrain. The torque was astounding, you'd never feel the load back there. Unfortunately, the 6.0L PowerStroke V8 was a total disaster from a long term durability standpoint and I just decided to cut bait and get the JK before mine bit me in the ass. Their new 6.7 is doing well, quiet as a mouse comparatively. The Ram with the Cummins is tried & true, hard to beat. I have less experience with the Duramax, but a club member has about 150k on one that's neeede nothing but maintenance so far.

Not sure you'd want to live with a large 3/4 ton as a DD, but the short wheelbase versions of any of the offerings out there (Dodge, Ford, GM) are as liveable as any 1/2 ton and much better trucks. JMHO, of course.
post #16 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Tow Rig:

Dont tow quite enough to justify the Diesel and it needed to be my daily driver, so I got a Power Wagon.

This wouldnt be a good set-up for everyone. But it is a slightly smaller wheelbase than most 3/4 ton trucks, can still Tow 12K+, is a pretty nice daily driver and gets acceptable milage for a 3/4 ton truck. I tow 3-5 times a year and just couldnt justify the extra cost for a Cummins. The diesel does get better mileage, but it would take me 7-9 years to recoup the cost or I would have to start towing alot more often (not any time soon). So those that want something in the middle, i.e. 3/4 ton that can still be a daily driver (and a pretty capable off-road vehicle) there are options.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.

Last edited by 09rubicon; 12-20-2011 at 11:58 AM.
post #17 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Diesel is best for towing. That being said, if you're not planning on hauling more than 10K loads prob ok with a gasser these days. I have a 14K rated gooseneck so needed a bigger truck for hauling.

My 06 Chevy 3500 Duramax dually has gotten 20-22mpg on the turnpike at 65 unloaded and maybe 14-15mpg in stop/go traffic. Which is, sadly, far better than my JK.

Im using the 3500 dually as my DD now that I traded out my JK for a dedicated trail rig. I have to say its really not all that much bigger than a built up JK. Sure its longer but its not a whole lot wider. All the luxury items are nice too.

Diesel has gobs of torque. Its crazy, even in stock form, how much its got.

Sent via Telegraph.
post #18 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Granite Guru

I look more at tow and capacity ratings than I do with engines. That can be a long discussion like manual vs auto.

When I look at 2500s they tow a load just fine, but can't carry much in the bed. A slide in camper will easily overload the truck with the jeep in tow.
3500s have less of this issue.
All this said if you want to be legal...

I have a dodge 2500 and pull an enclosed trailer. This allows me to keep the weight out of the bed and still have primitive living area. The living area will get updated one of these days and make it more livable.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #19 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Rock God

Hands down diesel. No comparison.

I pull with my work van, 2000 E250 with the 5.4 in it. It does the job, average 10 MPG, but damn near everyone in the club runs diesel and I can't keep up worth a shit on the uphills. Especially once we hit the huge hills in MA and especially in PA, forget it, I'm averaging 45-50 up those hills while everyone else is on cruise control on 65 MPH and they never downshift.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #20 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Biggest limitation is going to be your budget. Personally, I'd buy a 50,000 mile Cummins before a brand new truck if I planned on towing. The mileage is better, best? Maybe not, but hook whatever the hell you want to it and go. Head wind? Who cares. Side wind? What side wind? Grades? better bump it up to 75.

It'll toss the JK around on a trailer effortlessly.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 12-20-2011 at 04:12 PM.
post #21 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
Hands down diesel. No comparison.

I pull with my work van, 2000 E250 with the 5.4 in it. It does the job, average 10 MPG, but damn near everyone in the club runs diesel and I can't keep up worth a shit on the uphills. Especially once we hit the huge hills in MA and especially in PA, forget it, I'm averaging 45-50 up those hills while everyone else is on cruise control on 65 MPH and they never downshift.
Ya the 5.4 kinda brings the suck.

To the op. I towed my 2 door Jk to rc and it was the same as my Tj. Truck never missed a beat. Any of the current half tons will get it done no prob.

There's a lot to consider when looking diesel. Not all years are equal. In most trucks there's a "desirable" combination. And auto trans in the diesels can be fickle.

post #22 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Also unloaded. I love rolling up next to the diesels with the 5" exhaust and a pillar gauges and absolutely spanking them. I smoked a guy with a big c in his back window about a month ago. I don't know if it's the exhaust on my truck or what but it always seems like people want to race lol.

post #23 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post

This is my set up that my wife and I have had for a few years. 01 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with an Edge EZ 60 HP chip, air bags and e rated tires. Lance 935 camper and 18 ft. car hauler. The diesel pulls it no real problems. I keep it at 55-60, but it tows up the Yucca Valley grade to the Hammers and is pretty stable. There is no way I would ever want a gas engine to pull all of this stuff. Figure the camper weighs 3k wet, plus a 2k car hauler and then the Jeep. My vote is diesel!

Timmay
That is a nice set up.
post #24 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

This is my set up, it works for me. It would not be the best for a daily driver.

post #25 of 165 Old 12-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Lol as with any vehicle i don't thin there is any perfect combination. I am pretty impressed with the new Chevy trucks. Pretty nice interior compared to what they used to be, run good and sound great. Chevy V8's run forever and have pretty good power, not to mention pretty good gas milage compared to like the hemi's. For a diesel, I'd say go with a Dodge...very hard to beat the cummins diesel and the new ones are quiet and get much better fuel milage than they used to. I've seen an 08 Dodge 2500 with the cummins get 20+ mpg on the highway. You couldn't pay met to own a Ford diesel...I've completely lost faith in Ford after the POS 6.0L and 6.4L engines...I've heard the new ones are better but personally I wouldn't own one. Ford does make good gas trucks IMO and the new 5.0 is supposed to be a strong motor and as mentioned the Lariat package is pretty damn nice as is the Platinum. My boss has a 2011 and I'm imposed with the interior.

As mentioned, stay away from the 5.4L Ford trucks...they're kind of dogish. Never have driven one that pulled worth a shit and the company I work for has probably 50 of them (as well as about 30 of the 6.0/6.4 diesels). The chevy diesels run pretty damn good, but I don't think they have as much torque as the Cummins in the Dodge, however the Chevy's can be had with an Allison 6-Speed Auto and the Allison trans is the one they use in most of the Semi's and other large trucks that have auto trans's. Another big plus on the new Dodges, is that they don't have the Diesel Exhaust Fluid... And the Dodges are available with an optional engine brake (same basic thing thats on the Semi's)

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode