What would you do? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

What would you do?

I recently was made aware of a fucked up situation at a local dealership about an hour north of where I live.

There is a worker their, who after hours with a few other service workers, took the front D44 axle out of a brand new, factory Rubicon and swapped it into his X model. (Obviously to rid himself of the D30 front end).

He then proceeded to reinstall that same D30, with a different gear ratio mind you, back onto the factory rubicon he just stole the axle from. After that, him and his little minions put the Jeep back out on the lot like nothing happened.

Now, you wonder how someone could get away with something like that? I am wondering the same thing. Apparently, more than a few people at the dealership are aware of the situation and are either simply looking the other way, or do not know the consequences associated with what this dude just did.

I feel obligated to report the situation. Now, I did contact a customer service rep at chrysler, (who referred me to the proper department), already about this via email, the man I spoke with stated it was an issue that need be dealt with by the dealership.

Ok. So now what? I certainly do not want to contact someone at this very same dealership to report the incident, while the same person I speak to, may or may not be involved or aware of it. What would you do?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You have to do what you feel is right. If this is going on and one person gets away with it and there are no consequences ...chances are, it'll happen again.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
You have to do what you feel is right. If this is going on and one person gets away with it and there are no consequences ...chances are, it'll happen again.
X2. I would let them be aware, you can do it anonymously if you want.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
thats what im saying. I just keep thinking about what will happen to the person/family who buys that rubicon. BOOM! would certainly like to prevent something like this from happening to someone else. super fucked up situation. the more i think about it though, other than warning people of the shady shit that goes on there, there is not much i can do. yes, like i said, i could contact the dealership, but as i also said, more than one person there, i would have to assume is already aware of and in on the situation. i cant report it to the police, as i have no real proof that this occurred, although i know it did.

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #5 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would do what's right... if you don't feel comfortable going to the person suggested, go to the owner... just a thought.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

First, do you have proof that this happened? can you confirm the VIN on the vehicle that now has the wrong axle? do you have pics of the d30 in it? You're going to need a little more than accusations if you want to move forward with this.

If you do, than get as high up the food chain as you can before you speak to someone. Ask for the dealer owner, his assistant or other executives. If the dealership is part of a conglomerate then call their executive offices.

You need to assume that the parts and service dept managers are aware and anyone less than upper management won't be able to help you.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #7 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Granite Guru

I would go to the dealership and get a salesman to take me for a test ride and have him put the Jeep in 4lo. Make you sure you have your video camera rolling.

2010 SURF BLUE JK UNLIMITED. 4" TERAFLEX FULL FLEX LIFT, SMITTYBUILT FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, SMITTYBUILT 10K WINCH, SMITTYBUILT ROCK SLIDERS, BUSHWACKER FLAT FENDERS, 35" PROCOMPS ON 17" ADDICTS, 513 GEARS, HELLA LIGHTS AND TANTRUM LIGHTS UNDERNEATH.
post #8 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

Go up there after hours like you are looking at a jeep without the hassle of a sales guy there. Then just check to see if you can find the Rubicon that had the axle swapped. If you find it go in and ask to speak to the dealership owner/general manager I doubt they would be on board with stuff like that going on.
It should be easy to figure out who did it, because if he didnt do a gear swap his will grenade as well just like the new one. A lot of shops out there will let their employees work on personal projects after hours, so its entirely possible that nobody up front is aware of exactly what has been happening.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #9 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

it is also possible that his d30 was regeared.. I don't think he would be stupid enough to put an axle with the wrong gearing in his front end, it would be mostly useless.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #10 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Rock God

I would go to the dealership pretending to be a buyer and look at all the rubis until I found the one that was changed (there is a difference in the 30 and 44 diff covers) then raise hell and speak to a manager Unless the manager was part of it that should get them to start asking their employees questions.
post #11 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Agreed, IF you have proof and not just hearsay, go to or contact the big guy. I can't imagine the owner or GM of a dealership being aware or condoning theft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaverse View Post
it is also possible that his d30 was regeared.. I don't think he would be stupid enough to put an axle with the wrong gearing in his front end, it would be mostly useless.
unless he leaves it in 2wd until he can do a gear swap. I mean that's a small inconvenience for a brand new free axle.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #12 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Get the VIN off the Rubi and call Chrysler customer service. Would be pretty easy to spot the guy's "X", too. Big implications here, because he's essentialy commited warranty fraud, an interstate commerce (Federal) offense. If employees of the dealership were involved in a conspiracy they're implicated. Dealer can lose his franchise over something like that if any management were involved.
post #13 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Get the VIN off the Rubi and call Chrysler customer service. Would be pretty easy to spot the guy's "X", too. Big implications here, because he's essentialy commited warranty fraud, an interstate commerce (Federal) offense. If employees of the dealership were involved in a conspiracy they're implicated. Dealer can lose his franchise over something like that if any management were involved.
VVVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
........ Now, I did contact a customer service rep at chrysler, (who referred me to the proper department), already about this via email, the man I spoke with stated it was an issue that need be dealt with by the dealership.

Ok. So now what?.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyb View Post
I would go to the dealership and get a salesman to take me for a test ride and have him put the Jeep in 4lo. Make you sure you have your video camera rolling.
^^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #15 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Rock God

I would go to the dealer and get a much physical proof as possible. Then I would go to the local media with the story. A jeep dealership is selling a vehicle for $32,000 but the parts are from a $22,000 vehicle. Pretty big fraud! They can twist this to make it a great piece for the media AND you will be doing a great service to the community. Let the people know whats going on... this will prevent other dealerships from doing the same shit and cautioning buyers to be more aware.

If you just go to the dealership, the same shit will keep happening there or other places anyways.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #16 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Granite Guru

You go after hours and find the specific jeep. Then you go back the next morning and start crawling around the rig like your interested and when the sales person comes out to talk you ask them "I thought Rubi's came stock with D44 front and read?" To which he will reply "yes they do". Now you can play all smart and respond "Then why is there a D30 in this Rubi?" Get all indignant like they are trying to pull a fast one and demand to speak to the GM.....or send a wife/Girlfriend who knows about jeeps. Sales folk always get flustered when us Jeep girls come in knowing our stuff!!!

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
post #17 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Rock God

just go up to the manager or owner and ask how to get that sweet kick ass deal where you get a Rubicon front 44 in exchange for your worn out D30! First one to blink loses!

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

post #18 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
I would go to the dealer and get a much physical proof as possible. Then I would go to the local media with the story. A jeep dealership is selling a vehicle for $32,000 but the parts are from a $22,000 vehicle. Pretty big fraud! They can twist this to make it a great piece for the media AND you will be doing a great service to the community. Let the people know whats going on... this will prevent other dealerships from doing the same shit and cautioning buyers to be more aware.

If you just go to the dealership, the same shit will keep happening there or other places anyways.
That will certainly get attention but this is all asumming everyone at the dealership is in on it. If its only a small # of people then youre ruining a business for a few shitty employees.

Best bet is to get proof and go from there. I like the idea of inspecting the rubis, getting the VIN and asking why its not according to factory standard. Give the dealership a chance to make it right. But DEFINITELY do something.

Out of curiosity how do you know about this? The more evidence you have the better.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #19 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Write a letter without a return address to the owner/GM of the dealership.

No reason to get the media all involved. You could always call from a pay phone or something if you're concerned with caller ID giving away your identity.

It's pretty cut and dried theft from the person in question's employer which is something they should be notified of.

I'd only report it if you saw it with your own two eyes.

post #20 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Personally I would mind my own business if it didn't effect me. No one appointed me sheriff of the world and I don't have the time or energy to deal with everyone else's problems.
post #21 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
That will certainly get attention but this is all asumming everyone at the dealership is in on it. If its only a small # of people then youre ruining a business for a few shitty employees.

Best bet is to get proof and go from there. I like the idea of inspecting the rubis, getting the VIN and asking why its not according to factory standard. Give the dealership a chance to make it right. But DEFINITELY do something.

Out of curiosity how do you know about this? The more evidence you have the better.

Thats the problem, I do not have DEFINITIVE proof that it happened. But its a 99.99999 % chance. A friend of mine, is friends with the guy who collaborated the whole thing (the guy who works at the dealer who wanted rid of his D30, and figured it was a good idea to steal one off a brand new rubi). When my friend found out about it, he confronted him, said basically, what the fuck is wrong with for doing this, blah blah blah. I was next to him while he was on the phone telling him all this.

post #22 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Then leave it alone and move on. Hearsay is just that...and how accusations put people into bad situations.

Just leave it alone.

post #23 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Thats the problem, I do not have DEFINITIVE proof that it happened. But its a 99.99999 % chance. A friend of mine, is friends with the guy who collaborated the whole thing (the guy who works at the dealer who wanted rid of his D30, and figured it was a good idea to steal one off a brand new rubi). When my friend found out about it, he confronted him, said basically, what the fuck is wrong with for doing this, blah blah blah. I was next to him while he was on the phone telling him all this.
Its not "definitive" but its enough to assume you are correct. If you are concerned and fear your conscience will eat away at you then you have the opportunity to GET hard proof by going to the dealer...browsing around and then happen to notice a rubi without its 44 ::scratches head::. This allows you to stay innocent but do the right thing by bringing attention to the dealer. If you want, Id do it quick as the rubi itself and the proof could leave the lot quickly.

If however you do not feel the need to get into it then let it be. The choice is yours and you have all the means if you so desire.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #24 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I hope whoever buys that rubi does not go into 4wd

post #25 of 42 Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

And if they do and it breaks it is under warranty so it doesn't really matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode