Got a taste for the Pentastar horsepower but now I want more - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Got a taste for the Pentastar horsepower but now I want more

Installed a Gibson cat back and a k&n drop in filter, definitely feel a little more pep. Any suggestions on getting more horsepower out of the Pentastar? Not looking to do large modifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Rock God

looks like that is going to be the best route so far....havent heard anything about an ETA on a tuner. you can always keep a grappling hook and follow large trucks for better mileage!

i have done the magnaflow cat-back and noticed a slight increase in ass-hp. still not use to the power compared to my 5.9 ZJ but its a lot better than the turd 3.8

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The thought of a tuner interest me but at the same time scares me. I tried the canned performance tunes from Predator on my Challenger and experienced some serious throttle knock. I was too scared to tweak the thing in fear of blowing up my engine, so I put the stock tune back on the car. I wonder how a tuner would work with the pentastar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm Ryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkron View Post
Installed a Gibson cat back and a k&n drop in filter, definitely feel a little more pep. Any suggestions on getting more horsepower out of the Pentastar? Not looking to do large modifications.
I have a ported Pentastar throttle body that I need to sell. Very comparable to the 400.00 Modern Muscle ported TB, except it's hand-ported (as opposed to a CNC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkron View Post
The thought of a tuner interest me but at the same time scares me. I tried the canned performance tunes from Predator on my Challenger and experienced some serious throttle knock. I was too scared to tweak the thing in fear of blowing up my engine, so I put the stock tune back on the car. I wonder how a tuner would work with the pentastar?
I also have access to Diablo CMR, and the canned tunes need work. More times than not the timing needs to be dialed back a hair so the knock sensors don't flip out.

No tuning yet for the Pentastar, as far as I know. 2011+ models across the board are heavily encrypted.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just had a ride in the 2012 with the new motor yesterday. Now I want one of those. Problem is I have to much $$$ into the one I have. I can't, no, no, no. know how you feel. UHG!!!
post #6 of 23 Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

traded the 09 2 door in for a 2012 JKU. Never looking back. love the new motor.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Man I hear ya,,,,Traded mine 09' in today. Got a 2 door 12'
post #8 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Just got a '12 Rubicon with the new motor and a 6 speed. Hate the ESP but love the rig. haven't owned a jeep in many years, but after renting one in Hawaii for a week I couldn't stop myself when I got home.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
Man I hear ya,,,,Traded mine 09' in today. Got a 2 door 12'
What kind of trade in did they give you? Crazy idea...but If I can sell my truck, I'm thinking of buying an older JK if I can get a great deal and seeing what kind of deal I can get on a trade for a new one. I've heard stories of dealers giving more for trade in than they cost brand new.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Picked up my 2012 4dr rubi. Lovin it. The 3.6 is nice and is fun to rev up.
Color is angry orange.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
lbh
Rock God

Drove one this weekend and loved the motor! I get in that " I could trade it etc" but for what I would lose or have to reinvest in could have the LS conversion.

2007 JK
post #12 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Granite Guru

Dealer told me this morning that because of the importance in the exhaust (thus the tuba on the 2012) with the pentastar V6 that any exhaust mods could impact warranty claims regarding the engine.

2012 Unlimited
dropped and locked, low and slow!
post #13 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Dealer told me this morning that because of the importance in the exhaust (thus the tuba on the 2012) with the pentastar V6 that any exhaust mods could impact warranty claims regarding the engine.
And then you cocokpunched him for being a douche, right?

If not, get back to that dealership and do your duty as a Jeeper.

post #14 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
What kind of trade in did they give you? Crazy idea...but If I can sell my truck, I'm thinking of buying an older JK if I can get a great deal and seeing what kind of deal I can get on a trade for a new one. I've heard stories of dealers giving more for trade in than they cost brand new.
I got 20,000 for mine,,,of course I only paid 25,000 and it was beat up pretty good,,,,so yeah I can see that.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Granite Guru

He was actually being cool about it. I've been there a few times and they have always been good to me. He said that it came up because a customer came in with a new Grand Cherokee with aftermarket exhaust that was having problems and Chrysler refused to fix it because they claim the issue is due to the exhaust mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
And then you cocokpunched him for being a douche, right?

If not, get back to that dealership and do your duty as a Jeeper.

2012 Unlimited
dropped and locked, low and slow!
post #16 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
JKO Addict!

A reason why people have said for years that Chrysler customer service is by far the worst in the business.

I've said before and will again that if Ford or Chevy made anything relatively worthwhile that would compete with a Jeep I would buy it in a heartbeat. I love Jeeps, but the service depts. and Chryslers policies are ridiculous.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #17 of 23 Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Wheeler

Smile

Towed over 3000 # with my new Rubicon today, plenty of power even going up a 7 mile grade...life is good..
post #18 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Either everyone is drinking the 3.6 koolaid, or I'm the only one that wasn't impressed with it. I'd take my 3.8 6sp over the JKU 3.6 auto any day.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #19 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 AM
Rock God

Would u take ur 3.8 manual over the 3.6 manual?
If so, then u my friend, your drunk on the 3.8 koolaid.

EX-Jersey
Crew

Find us at www.disconnectedoffroad.com
post #20 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Granite Guru

A buddy of mine has a '12 and I don't understand the hype really. It's got a little more power but I'll never pay $38k to get it.

Rescue green 07 2-door on 35's
post #21 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
A reason why people have said for years that Chrysler customer service is by far the worst in the business.

I've said before and will again that if Ford or Chevy made anything relatively worthwhile that would compete with a Jeep I would buy it in a heartbeat. I love Jeeps, but the service depts. and Chryslers policies are ridiculous.
Ford needs to come out with an updated version of the original Bronco...2-door, removable top, solid axles and the Raptor's motor. Keep the interior spartan and the'd have some serious competition for the Wrangler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Either everyone is drinking the 3.6 koolaid, or I'm the only one that wasn't impressed with it. I'd take my 3.8 6sp over the JKU 3.6 auto any day.
I took a '12 Sahara 4-door for a test drive about a week ago and I was not that impressed either. I didnt care for the plush interior and I would rather put a Hemi in my 2010 if I had the extra $.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #22 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruckRich View Post
Would u take ur 3.8 manual over the 3.6 manual?
If so, then u my friend, your drunk on the 3.8 koolaid.
Did I say that? Um, no.

But I certainly wouldn't trade what I have just for the 3.6. Seriously, it isn't much of an upgrade.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #23 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Did I say that? Um, no.

But I certainly wouldn't trade what I have just for the 3.6. Seriously, it isn't much of an upgrade.
Did I say u said that? Read it again. Its a question.

EX-Jersey
Crew

Find us at www.disconnectedoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode