Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure Compatibility - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure Compatibility

Just a heads up, the Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure will NOT work with Bestop style tailgate bars on their soft tops. I have the Trektop NX on my 07 JK and the tailgate bar fits way to tight with the tailgate enclosure and even if you did get it snapped in, I don't think you'd be able to get the tailgate bar released with the enclosure installed. Hopefully this will save a few of you my absolute frustration tonight.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

So I just have to say, I'm very impressed with Tuffy. Their customer service is great. I contacted them and told them what the situation was and they responded to my email the same day. Asked questions and even had one of their product development techs contact me to discuss a possible solution/future modification to allow it to work with the bestop tailgate bar like on the new Trektop NX where the plastic brackets are attached to the tailgate bar. I gave him some suggestions as to what I thought might work, and I think its possible they may revise the design in the future. Also was pretty impressed when Tuffy contacted me and said it was backordered and wouldn't be ready to ship for another two weeks and then contacted me like 3 days later and said it had shipped! They also are going to allow me to return it for full refund. Here's to Tuffy for great customer service and response times

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Wheeler

Now that's standing behind a product ... some the company makes an after market part that screws with yours and you issue a full refund... way to go tuffy

There must have been a time when we could have said no.

06 LJ Rubi with JK axles and stuff
10 JKU Sahara with Rubi axles RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
Now that's standing behind a product ... some the company makes an after market part that screws with yours and you issue a full refund... way to go tuffy
x2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I was pretty impressed that they actually took the time to have a product design tech contact me to try to come up with a possible solution as well. That shows they truly are interested in customer feedback and its nice to know they try to make changes or at least listen to their customers to accommodate for other popular mods.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Hey, sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread, but I just got a tailgate enclosure for my 2011 unlimited. I also just got the trektopNX installed. I don't see any special provisions on the tailgate unit for the crappy bestop bar. I haven't gotten it all installed yet, though. I don't want to get started, then find out I need more parts and have to stop part way through, and get pissed in the process.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Talk about some good customer service, hopefully they got everything worked out.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well actually ironically enough I just spoke to someone at Tuffy about this. You have two options:
1) which sadly enough I discovered after I sent back the enclosure but is really the option I like best, is that you can actually re use the factory tail gate bar and the plastic clips that stay on the back of the jeep. You can just slide the best top bar off the back window and slide the factory one on. I did that anyways and like my top soo much better now. I plan to get a security enclosure again at some point.
2) Tuffy has come out with an option as well that makes the Bestop tailgate bar easier to open. I'll see if I can find the link. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-463-t...t-top-bar.aspx

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #9 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks TopGun. I checked out the link to the Tuffy levers. I'm more inclined to go the route of replacing the awful bestop tailgate bar with an OEM. I don't have one right now, since my Jeep came with only the freedom top.

I was trying to install the Tuffy enclosure last night, but had not removed the tailgate bar first. It just wasn't going to happen. Well, it might have, but it was about 100 degrees in my garage, and I get pissed off and impatient pretty quickly when I'm hot and sweating. So, that likely was a factor in my troubles.

Now, I just need to track down an OEM tailgate bar - hopefully for less than dealership prices.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm View Post
Thanks TopGun. I checked out the link to the Tuffy levers. I'm more inclined to go the route of replacing the awful bestop tailgate bar with an OEM. I don't have one right now, since my Jeep came with only the freedom top.

I was trying to install the Tuffy enclosure last night, but had not removed the tailgate bar first. It just wasn't going to happen. Well, it might have, but it was about 100 degrees in my garage, and I get pissed off and impatient pretty quickly when I'm hot and sweating. So, that likely was a factor in my troubles.

Now, I just need to track down an OEM tailgate bar - hopefully for less than dealership prices.
Anytime. I try to share info as I figure these things out haha. At least it might save someone some of my frustration. Luckily Tuffy was easy to work with. They have great customer service, and since I was the first to report the compatibility problem I spoke with one of their engineers about possible ways to make it work and or possibly change the design a bit to accommodate the Bestop tailgate bar. The Tuffy levers are their solution and I'm sure they work fine, I've just always hated the Bestop tailgate bar so when I had a revelation and discovered the factory one just slid on the Bestop rear window I was really happy.

You might be able to find someone here or on Craigslist who is willing to sell theirs cheap say if their factory soft top broke or ripped or they replaced it with an after market top.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode