F250 shock towers, bad idea? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to rerard2 Send a message via Yahoo to rerard2
F250 shock towers, bad idea?

Current status: 08 2door x /w 33" LTBs and 4door springs (netted my about an inch of lift), jeep swag front bumper, the rest is pretty much stock. My factory bushings in the front are pretty much gone. My long term plan is to go to 35's and flat fenders, I may or may not tweak the height a bit but it will be a low CoG build. Haven't decided what to do about gears/axles and that's something I'm always changing my mind on.

Short term goal is to stick with 33s but improve ride quality and flex. To accomdate that goal I would like to run the longest shocks possible, a softer spring than I do now, and extended brake lines. I think I can probably leave the steering alone but if not then I will cross that bridge when I get to it. This is not my first build, I can tell you now I'm not one of those guys that is always going to want to go bigger. I went too big too fast on my last build and ended up regretting it.

I'm going to hold off on the springs until I get a winch, so my first step is the shocks and brake lines. I was thinking about using F250 shock towers to allow running a longer shock. What do you guys think? Has anyone does it? Is this a bad idea? Will it even work (I haven't taken any measurements)? Are there other options or do you recommend I just stick with the stock towers? I'm not running any quick discos right now so that is probably also going to be part of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Also I was thinking about doing these at the same time:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65152

Not sure if I will need to mess with the bump stops or get limit straps. Figured I would determine that when I measure for the shocks.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Rock God

Ive been thinking about doing this as well. Talked with one of the guys in my group and he said you can pick up a set for around $25. Im thinking you could make them work with out to much complication.

Also, Im sure you have already thought of this but in the rear you can chop the lower shock mount and gain about 2" of ground clearance while allowing the rear axle to drop out some more. I did this while doing my gear install a few months ago and was able to chop the stock shock mounts off, shorten the bracket up and re weld the shock mount back on. Like this....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hadn't really put much thought into the rear but I do hate how far the stock mounts hang down. I like what you did, are you concerned about limiting up travel at all? I'm guessing in the stock position the shock can't compress entirely anyway?

Last edited by rerard2; 12-18-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode