Mounting a 15# tank - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
TJT
Rock God

Mounting a 15# tank

Okay, so after running an air compressor for a few months, I have decided I would move to C02. I bought a tank setup and it should arrive tomorrow, but I thought I would wait to see how these tanks are being mounted inside the 4Door JK before I bought one of the $80 mounts available. I went with a 15# tank so I would rather not have it mounted anywhere above our heads.

I've seen many pics of power tanks mounted in the back area, thats where I would like to place mine upright. However, what are folks using for mounting? And are you just drilling holes through the body or using any existing structures.

Thanks.

BTW - I went with the Powertank REG-7000 Kit with the XFlo coupler. (no tank included) I bought a 15# tank from my closest welding supply store and when I go empty I can just bring the tank and swap it out with a full one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Rock God

I used the Springtail Solution side rack.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #3 of 6 Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Rock God

ive been eyeballing that springtail rack. i didnt realized it would have to be removed to get the hardtop off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
ive been eyeballing that springtail rack. i didnt realized it would have to be removed to get the hardtop off.
ou can just loosen everything except the seat bolts and get the top off.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

This is my location for the tank.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
I used the Springtail Solution side rack.
That is awesome. Definitely a mod on the short list.

My frustration and excitement to use my tank this weekend got the best of me today. I went to the local fire supply shop and bought the box type vehicle bracket for $50. It's not what I want long-term, but it will get me by for the next couple months as I absorb the holidays.

I really like the C02 tank. Airs up my 37" tire from 10 to 35 PSI in 1:20.

Back to the mount:

I bought 3/8" bolts, washers, 1" spacers, nuts and lock nuts from Lowes this evening ($13.) Three bolts attach the mount on the side. For now two bolts on the bottom are there to support the foot. It looked way too difficult to mount bottom bolts through tub, too much in the way. In the future, I'll put a rubber foot on the bottom of those bolts so the metal bolt is not rubbing on my bedlined tub.

On the side, each bolt gets a washer, comes in the vehicle from the wheel well. The lining is very difficult to get under for the top bolt, but the bottom two weren't bad. When inside the tub, I put some RTV around the bolt then followed it with a washer and nut to secure the bolt to the tub wall. Then a 1" spacer goes on, a washer, through the mount, followed by a washer and a locking nut. Its very secure and I shouldn't have any problems getting by for a while. Tomorrow I'm going to cut the bolts short and paint them black. Then it's wheeling time Sunday!

Last edited by TJT; 12-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode