We Built an RTI Ramp - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We Built an RTI Ramp

I'm building up a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport for a company project over the next year and decided I needed an RTI ramp. We're documenting the build at each step of the way, and we'll use the ramp to evaluate each piece and part we add (or subtract.)

As you some of you well know, buying one proved difficult and impractical, so we went ahead and designed and built our own.

I'm hesitant to post links to the blog just yet, lest you guys think this noob is a spammer. Feel free to let me know otherwise.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

well lets see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Very cool! Looks like some nice work.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Very nice, I actually thought of building one the other day. Easy enough and can make it break down pretty easily. Though I wasn't too crazy about fronting ~$150 or so in materials, who's chipping in?! lol

Just a suggestion, that ramp is going to need to get longer in a hurry. You are already more than halfway up it with a stock teeny JK and the sway bar hooked up.

I'm just guesstimating, but that looks ~30* angle and ~5' long? Making the height against the wall ~30" off the ground. Budget boost JK with the sway bar disconnected can hit the end of that ramp...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 12-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

yup, gonna need to go longer and higher to be much use once you start modding
budget boost,35"s and disco'd....

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Rock God

Needs to be longer and not up against a wall. I'd drive right over that thing as if it were an obstacle.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #7 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks Great, My club gets a lot of good use out of the one we use. Instantly gives you verifiable feedback on mod effects and there is no better method for adjusting bumpstops. They also help you balance your suspension front and rear. Make sure you keep the tire pressure the same every time you test, that way you don't fudge the results.

20* ramp is standard for most street driven rigs and lets you compare numbers with others on the internet, but you have to make it much longer than the one you have and get it away from that wall; my 2-door will easily travel double the length of that ramp at that angle. 2-doors don't need as much ramp or room as 4-doors, but as you approach 1000 RTI, you will have to hit the ramp at an angle to keep the rear tires off of it.

30* ramp is standard for heavily modified vehicles, as these ramps are pretty steep.

Another hint to make things easier; Butcher an old tape measure and screw the measuring tape down along the edges of the ramp (so you don't have to find a tape measure every time you get on it, and so there is no variances in measurement). Also, run some masking tape along the outside edges of the ramp so you can mark/date your travel on the tape. When it gets too full of marks, rip the tape off and put a new piece on.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We Built an RTI Ramp

This is a 20-degree ramp, and it measures 8 feet long along the floor. That makes it 102 inches long up the slope. Our JK 2dr with its 95.4-inch wheelbase will be able to squeak past 1000 as it stands now. And yes, we have a spacer in mind to back it away from the wall to allow for front overhang and photo access.

I have additional plans for a 10-degree wedge to go underneath if we get that far, but I didn't want to build a 30-degree ramp right out of the gate because we intend to put other stock vehicles on it.

In the photo our stock JK went 53.5 inches up the slope (18 5/16" lift) for an initial RTI of 561.

Dan
post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

A warm welcome for the Edmunds crew, great to see you here! Beware though, you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about the JK here, and that could mean a slippery slope of mods to your long-term specimen. Then again, you are in one of the greatest wheeling areas in the country...and who needs to maintain the warranty?

Oh, and because I have no shame....
Linky Linky

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 12-16-2011 at 08:25 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
A warm welcome for the Edmunds crew, great to see you here! Beware though, you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about the JK here, and that could mean a slippery slope of mods to your long-term specimen. Then again, you are in one of the greatest wheeling areas in the country...and who needs to maintain the warranty?

Oh, and because I have no shame....
Linky Linky
Thanks! New wheels and tires going on today. Another trip up the ramp will follow shortly thereafter, then we'll do some instrumented track testing to see how acceleration, braking and handling were affected.

Pity I won't be able to take it out and beat on it until after I get back from Christmas vacation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode