Underhood Temperatures - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Buffalo, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 24
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rokdjk
Underhood Temperatures

I'm currently doing some research, and would like to know from the JK community the under hood temperatures. I did a search for it, but everything points to being coolant temperatures, it seems. I need the numbers for the ambient under hood temperature in as many scenarios as possible, looking for the average under hood temps, and the high extremes mainly. I would like to see the following answers from as many people as possible. Need the temps taken from as close to the hood as possible, preferably from several points. Can be taken with a temperature gun, an oven thermometer zip tied to the underside of the hood, or any other creative, but accurate way to get the readings.

Engine? Stock 3.8, Diesel (overseas), Hemi, etc
With or without fender liners?
What hood are you running, or using hood louvers?
OE or aftermarket radiator?
Outside Air Temp when readings were taken (close estimation is fine)
How you achieved the temperature? Wheeling, Heavy Traffic, Easy Commute, Idling?

Any other key points of possibly useful information would also be welcomed, the above is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Thank you in advance, and I am confident the majority of you will really like where and how this information will be applied.
rokdjk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!
 
ALASHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 8,188
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdjk View Post
Thank you in advance, and I am confident the majority of you will really like where and how this information will be applied.
do tell
ALASHA is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Buffalo, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 24
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rokdjk

What do a Muscle, a Razor, and a Rhino all have in common?

A wise person can figure it out from that question alone. Real world temperature numbers will be rewarded with pictures in a few months, of what exactly is being created. In the mean time, I am awaiting your numbers, and will cover myself in a bunch of pink and/or blue foam...
rokdjk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,872
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdjk View Post
I'm currently doing some research, and would like to know from the JK community the under hood temperatures. I did a search for it, but everything points to being coolant temperatures, it seems. I need the numbers for the ambient under hood temperature in as many scenarios as possible, looking for the average under hood temps, and the high extremes mainly. I would like to see the following answers from as many people as possible. Need the temps taken from as close to the hood as possible, preferably from several points. Can be taken with a temperature gun, an oven thermometer zip tied to the underside of the hood, or any other creative, but accurate way to get the readings.

Engine? Stock 3.8, Diesel (overseas), Hemi, etc
With or without fender liners?
What hood are you running, or using hood louvers?
OE or aftermarket radiator?
Outside Air Temp when readings were taken (close estimation is fine)
How you achieved the temperature? Wheeling, Heavy Traffic, Easy Commute, Idling?

Any other key points of possibly useful information would also be welcomed, the above is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Thank you in advance, and I am confident the majority of you will really like where and how this information will be applied.
In your research, have you gathered any data from under your hood?
ronjenx is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Buffalo, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 24
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rokdjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
In your research, have you gathered any data from under your hood?
Looking for numbers from engine conversions and such as well, but yes, I need to check on my own some more as well, and will soon once the new transmission is installed (this weekend or next weekend, finally!), as it's been parked for the past two months or so. I will post my own numbers once I get my JK going again.

The more numbers to go by, the better the information, and the more accurately I can select materials for this project.
rokdjk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome