Cage Options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cage Options

Well safety has become a huge concern for me ever since my brother rolled his F-250 last year. The top on his truck just crumpled and he ended up with a broken C5, C6, and C7.

I'm looking to beef up the dog shit stock cage so the Jeep will hold up after a slow crawling flop, or a high speed rollover.

I have already added Twisted Stitch seats, Rockhard harness bars, and 4 point Harnesses. And I want to address the cage next.

Right now I'm deciding between Poison Spyder bolt in, or River Raider weld in. I like the strength of the weld in, but I can't weld so I would have to have someone install it for me (which would probably make it a lot more expensive than PSC) Now PSC definitely spent a whole lot of time engineering their bolt in cage, and it looks pretty solid. Also I could install it myself.

A full custom cage is out of the option because the last time I got a quote it was $3,500. I'm sorry for the long post, I just want to make the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with the PSC bolt in, and I'm going to be installing it this weekend. I also wanted to do a weld-in cage that tied in to the frame, but this is a 30,000 Jeep and not a buggy. I don't plan on rolling it and if I do I don't care if it saves the Jeep structurally, I just care if it saves me. The PSC should do a good job of.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #3 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Unfortunately the best way to make sure whats around you will hold up in a "high speed roll over" is to go with a custom build cage tied to the frame. That's about as "absolute" as they come.

Everything else is a pretty good addition to what is there (which is not much). However if high speed rollover is one of your main goals and your seats/harnesses will keep your ass in the seat...custom is the option to go with. Not what you want to hear, but thats a fact jack. I'd put any of the aftermarket bolt-in's as being up to the task of a trail flop, high speed is a different realm. What I have added to mine over the length of a two door gives me a pretty good amount of comfort, without a doubt...but it all replaced with frame tied DOM (figuring chromo is too pricey for most of us) is as good as they come.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Out of those 2 I like the PSC better. It looks like it has more attachment point which I would think would be a plus with the plate style a pillar. I agree with goody about the high speed stuff. I trust my cage to save my ass if I put it on the roof at 60mph. I don't know I would trust a dash mounted addition to do that.

Last edited by spedly; 12-13-2011 at 07:10 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I completely agree with you Goody and Spedly, eventually I'll go with a full tied in custom cage. But right now I'm just looking for a little more peace of mind.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with a little piece of mind and got the PSC.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #7 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I usually chime in on this discussion since I did a high speed rollover in a JK.
I say get the best you can afford. Then plan on a custom later on. Waiting till later is the worst idea. Trust me the space I was left with upside down was not much but I survived. If I would have had a passenger that day they would not have survived. Who rides with you?
My pic seen a bunch but nothing like a picture to convince someone. I have the OR-FAB bolt in for now.

I'm enrolled in college welding program to build my own custom when my skills will allow. My time in the Army paying for my lessons even better.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
It never ends...

I went custom because I was worried about the weight of the jeep (crushing the crappy stock stuff), and because I might actually roll or flop.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #9 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I usually chime in on this discussion since I did a high speed rollover in a JK.
I say get the best you can afford. Then plan on a custom later on. Waiting till later is the worst idea. Trust me the space I was left with upside down was not much but I survived. If I would have had a passenger that day they would not have survived. Who rides with you?
My pic seen a bunch but nothing like a picture to convince someone. I have the OR-FAB bolt in for now.

I'm enrolled in college welding program to build my own when my skills allow.

That picture still scares me. I know my PSC cage isn't good for high speed situations, so I hope if I flip (God forbid) it's on the trail.

ΣX

post #10 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
That picture still scares me. I know my PSC cage isn't good for high speed situations, so I hope if I flip (God forbid) it's on the trail.
I wouldn't say it "isn't good", it's not "ideal"...but still many times better than the alternative.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I wouldn't say it "isn't good", it's not "ideal"...but still many times better than the alternative.
YES!
post #12 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Another affordable option is the Synergy weld in cage.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #13 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Rock God

X2

I'd do the Poly/Synergy weld-in cage with the additions that Co4Lo did to his:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54682

I currently have a River Raider weld-in cage. As a winter project, I plan to make some modifications to improve it, but if I were starting from scratch, I'd do the Poly/Synergy.

Spend $300 or so and do an evening welding class at your local College of Technology. It is worth it.

I just finished one a few weeks ago. It was about 3 hours of classroom time and 27 hours of lab time spread over 5 weeks. We did stick, mig, tig, aluminum, etc. It was a small class with only 7 students. So, a good percentage of the 27 hours lab time, I was directly tutored by the instructor.

A week or two after the class finished, I bought a Thermal Arc 181i (mig, stick, tig combo machine), and a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 plasma cutter. (Thermadyne is the company that makes Victor torches, Thermal Dynamic plasma cutters, and Thermal Arc welders.)

Next will be a tube bender and tube notcher.

After 27 hours welding, I am nowhere close to an expert, but I know how to make stuff stick together.

Anyway, that is my experience.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
X2

I'd do the Poly/Synergy weld-in cage with the additions that Co4Lo did to his:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54682

I currently have a River Raider weld-in cage. As a winter project, I plan to make some modifications to improve it, but if I were starting from scratch, I'd do the Poly/Synergy.

Spend $300 or so and do an evening welding class at your local College of Technology. It is worth it.

I just finished one a few weeks ago. It was about 3 hours of classroom time and 27 hours of lab time spread over 5 weeks. We did stick, mig, tig, aluminum, etc. It was a small class with only 7 students. So, a good percentage of the 27 hours lab time, I was directly tutored by the instructor.

A week or two after the class finished, I bought a Thermal Arc 181i (mig, stick, tig combo machine), and a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 plasma cutter. (Thermadyne is the company that makes Victor torches, Thermal Dynamic plasma cutters, and Thermal Arc welders.)

Next will be a tube bender and tube notcher.

After 27 hours welding, I am nowhere close to an expert, but I know how to make stuff stick together.

Anyway, that is my experience.
Great advice. My mom gave me a certificate for a welding class at a place called TechShop. It's a community garage where you can rent space/time and use tube benders, welders, and other machinery for projects. The guy who teaches the class is a master welder, and when I'm done I can use their tools. I'm super stoked about it.

ΣX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode