Shocks: Fox or Kings?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Shocks: Fox or Kings??

Ok so I'm beginning to piece together my Poly Performance Synergy Stage 4 lift. Gonna have to make a decision on shocks here pretty soon. I was looking at the Fox remote res adjustable shocks but then started thinking that maybe I should ask around and see whats the way to go before I drop major coin on these. Just curious what you guys think is the way to go and maybe the benefits/drawbacks of one vs. the other.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I've been runnin Fox remote res adjustable shocks for over 2 years on the back of my rig. The adjuster works great, they can go from very soft to rock hard. Anyway, 2 years and they still perform great. And if I need to, they are rebuildable.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I've been runnin Fox remote res adjustable shocks for over 2 years on the back of my rig. The adjuster works great, they can go from very soft to rock hard. Anyway, 2 years and they still perform great. And if I need to, they are rebuildable.
Awesome! Thats good to know. Do you have a 2dr or 4dr? Mine's a 2dr and I've heard the Fox's run a little stiff so that is one of my concerns. Have your shocks gotten torn up at all from rocks and such?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM
JKowners Vendor

I have the Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks from Teraflex on my 2 door JK and they ride very smooth. They are not harsh or stiff at all and they do a great job controlling body roll. If you are looking to spend over $200 on a shock look at the ICON 2.5" piggyback reservoir shock. They are the best high end shocks that I have run to date.
post #5 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse Off Road View Post
I have the Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks from Teraflex on my 2 door JK and they ride very smooth. They are not harsh or stiff at all and they do a great job controlling body roll. If you are looking to spend over $200 on a shock look at the ICON 2.5" piggyback reservoir shock. They are the best high end shocks that I have run to date.
Thanks for the input. Good to know the Fox's work well on the 2-dr...thats what i was wondering. What are the benefits of the Icon over say the Fox's? What did you like about them?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #6 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Awesome! Thats good to know. Do you have a 2dr or 4dr? Mine's a 2dr and I've heard the Fox's run a little stiff so that is one of my concerns. Have your shocks gotten torn up at all from rocks and such?
When you set them to a lower stiffness level - they will not be too stiff. The adjustment range is fantastic. As far as rock damage, I have drag scuffs on the bottom mount of both but its not anything that will keep them from working. Oh, and I have a short box (2 door).

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
When you set them to a lower stiffness level - they will not be too stiff. The adjustment range is fantastic. As far as rock damage, I have drag scuffs on the bottom mount of both but its not anything that will keep them from working. Oh, and I have a short box (2 door).
Cool thats even better. Getting feedback from guys who actually have these on 2-doors helps. Seems like most of the guys I know with JK's have 4 doors and on stuff like shocks its hard to judge when I have a 2-dr. Alright, thats not too bad. i can handle a little rock damage on the mounts, I just don't want to be rebuilding $300 shocks every 2 months LOL. How do the Fox's flex?? are they pretty good on rough terrain at speed? How often (if ever) do you find yourself adjusting them say for different terrain?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #8 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the Fox adjustable resis on my 2-door before I went to coilovers.

They were great shocks that could be adjusted for rock crawling as well as hauling ass in the dunes. They work as advertised.

Buttttt......I kept destroying rear shocks in the rocks and quickly discovered that FOX customer service sucks ass. They are such a big diversified company, that they don't seem to have time for the little guy. Ohh, and they charge almost the price of a new shock to rebuild one of theirs.

I'm running King coilovers now. I have not ran their regular shocks before, but I can attest to the fact that their customer service is awesome. Guys in their tech department always have time to answer your questions and help a guy out with a garage build. They do FREE shock tuning out in the desert near Barstow during race season - King really focuses on the customer, which is probably why most folks who can afford anything buy them.

Last edited by desert dog; 12-12-2011 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
How do the Fox's flex?? are they pretty good on rough terrain at speed? How often (if ever) do you find yourself adjusting them say for different terrain?
They flex great - see pic below. I did some pre-running at big bend last year and they are great at speed. But I didn't put them to a long test, just a few minutes at a time. I run them at (scale 1 - 10) 7 on the street and 4 off road. Look at the driver side rear tire in the pic to see the Fox flex!

post #10 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I had the Fox adjustable resis on my 2-door before I went to coilovers.

They were great shocks that could be adjusted for rock crawling as well as hauling ass in the dunes. They work as advertised.

Buttttt......I kept destroying rear shocks in the rocks and quickly discovered that FOX customer service sucks ass. They are such a big diversified company, that they don't seem to have time for the little guy. Ohh, and they charge almost the price of a new shock to rebuild one of theirs.

I'm running King coilovers now. I have not ran their regular shocks before, but I can attest to the fact that their customer service is awesome. Guys in their tech department always have time to answer your questions and help a guy out with a garage build. They do FREE shock tuning out in the desert near Barstow during race season - King really focuses on the customer, which is probably why most folks who can afford anything buy them.
Hmm well that was one of my concerns. Its good to know they work as well as advertised, but its also something to take into consideration if they have poor customer service. And since you wheel out here in Cali, I'll probably in similar situations where my rear shocks are at risk to the rocks (although I have to say I have yet to hit my current shocks.) Maybe it would be possible to make a guard to try to protect them a little?? Any recommendations on what model King to run that would be similar to the fox adjustable remote resi?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #11 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
They flex great - see pic below. I did some pre-running at big bend last year and they are great at speed. But I didn't put them to a long test, just a few minutes at a time. I run them at (scale 1 - 10) 7 on the street and 4 off road. Look at the driver side rear tire in the pic to see the Fox flex!
Wow that's pretty good articulation. I notice your sig says you have coilovers, did you have the regular adjustable remote resi's before? or are you just running the coilovers in the front now?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #12 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
Wow that's pretty good articulation. I notice your sig says you have coilovers, did you have the regular adjustable remote resi's before? or are you just running the coilovers in the front now?
Just running coilovers on the front now. I have the parts to go coilover like DD has done but have not installed them yet. So Fox shocks still on rear.

post #13 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Just running coilovers on the front now. I have the parts to go coilover like DD has done but have not installed them yet. So Fox shocks still on rear.
Ohh okay. Thats cool. I'm just trying to look at my options for shocks before I commit. I'm building a Synergy Stage 4 Long arm lift a bit at a time so thats a decent chunk of change for a lift and I want to try to get the most out of it, hence I wanna figure out what would be my best choice for shocks, especially since theres so many options out there.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

The Fox shock that you are asking about is a great option. But King and Bilstene are also top rated shocks. So I hope that other with non Fox shocks will chime in. I know its a hard choice!

post #15 of 48 Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
The Fox shock that you are asking about is a great option. But King and Bilstene are also top rated shocks. So I hope that other with non Fox shocks will chime in. I know its a hard choice!
It really is! There are so many options with shocks and it would be nice to get some feedback from people with other shocks. Especially those who have tried more than one brand. I really don't think I could go wrong with either Kings or Fox's, but at $300 (or more) per shock, I don't want to make the mistake of buying something and then regretting it! lol. Although if I was smart, id just order my damn comp corners, stretch kit, coilovers, and 40's now because I know its inevitable (damn you Desert Dog and Co4Lo for having such bad ass jeeps and making me want them! lol)

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #16 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Yeah, thoes 2 guys are fucking with my build budget too! Fuckers

post #17 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, thoes 2 guys are fucking with my build budget too! Fuckers
Glad its not just me They're making it hard to spend my money and be happy with anything less than 108" wheelbase (without 4 doors) and anything less than 40's LOL. Maybe someday when I'm no longer trying to get a degree! An LS motor swap is on my list too lol. We'll see about that one hah.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #18 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I guess this is probably what I should be looking at as far as the Kings??

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16270_004X_PG.htm

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #19 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback as well even though I am not looking into coilovers or the fox reservoir style shocks. EVERYTHING that I read from each member helps answer questions that I have given I am not a certified mechanic or lifelong offroader. Most of my 15+ years of offroading is HMMWV (Hummer for civilians) based with the Army and pick up trucks in Texas during hunting season!

I will be replacing my TF/PP set up here soon with an entire RK 3.5" X Factor Mid-Arm with the bilstein 5100s! I can attest that the 3" TF kit, although capable suspension, isn't giving what I need and the 9550 shocks for it are VERY stiff! Looking forward to a more comfortable ride on road (given it's a Jeep) while gaining more off-road ability/articulation!

U.S. Army

Last edited by TXROCK; 12-13-2011 at 12:42 AM.
post #20 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I guess this is probably what I should be looking at as far as the Kings??

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16270_004X_PG.htm
I have the 2.5 adj res Kings and you can get them cheaper if you shop around! I found the cheapest advertised price at EVO they list the non adj Kings for 680 pr add 200 for the adjusters and my buddy at 4wheel parts beat there price!

I just got the King shocks installed last weekend along with the RK lift so not much feed back yet I will say the on road ride is a lot better! Hopefully this weekend I can get out and try them off road after I fix a track bar issue hitting the AFE exhaust pipe in the rear limiting up travel. If you do go with the Kings cycle your suspension with the springs out and ck for clearance and set your bump stops I had to grind down some of the shock tower behind and along side the front shocks and modify the RK rear track bar bracket for rear shock clearance. You should be OK with the Poly rear track bar mount but but ck the fronts just to be safe!

I went with the 3-5" lift Kings and they measure 17.5" collapsed and 27.5 extended I'm getting the full 10" of travel except for the RF I had to add a 3/4" bump spacer to keep the front RK track bar mount from hitting the frame!

Here's a pic of the rear close to bottom out if you like playing on the rocks I would highly recomend relocating the rear res to a safer place...

Last edited by ibjammin; 05-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.
post #21 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

IMO you can't go wrong with either one. I could have gone either way (coilovers/remotes) and decided on going remote adjustable and am very happy. It flexes very well and I really have no complaints. Every now and again I get the itch for coilovers in the front but it is more of a want vs a need...

post #22 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjammin View Post
I have the 2.5 adj res Kings and you can get them cheaper if you shop around! I found the cheapest advertised price at EVO they list the non adj Kings for 680 pr add 200 for the adjusters and my buddy at 4wheel parts beat there price!

I just got the King shocks installed last weekend along with the RK lift so not much feed back yet I will say the on road ride is a lot better! Hopefully this weekend I can get out and try them off road after I fix a track bar issue hitting the AFE exhaust pipe in the rear limiting up travel. If you do go with the Kings cycle your suspension with the springs out and ck for clearance and set your bump stops I had to grind down some of the shock tower behind and along side the front shocks and modify the RK rear track bar bracket for rear shock clearance. You should be OK with the Poly rear track bar mount but but ck the fronts just to be safe!

I went with the 3-5" lift Kings and they measure 17.5" collapsed and 27.5 extended I'm getting the full 10" of travel except for the RF I had to add a 3/4" bump spacer to keep the front RK track bar mount from hitting the frame!

Here's a pic of the rear close to bottom out if you like playing on the rocks I would highly recomend relocating the rear res to a safer place...
Good to know! Let me know how you like them! I've still got a little time before I order anything so I'd like to know how you like them! Those look to be the ones I was looking at.

As far as the shock mounts and rear track bar, I have a RJ60 in the rear with a currie track bar. The D60 has adjustable lower shock mounts so might be able to play with that a little. I also might try to make a guard that protects the back of the shocks so when i slide off rocks...something that would obviously still have to allow for full articulation and shock clearance. I have an idea of how i might be able to do it when I get to that point.

What does your actual lift heigh measure? As I said, I'm going with a Synergy stage 4 lift (3" but we'll see what actual lift height is...) Wonder if I should wait to get the suspension on and then order shocks based on the travel?? And maybe get longer shocks and limit straps?? Anyone have any input on this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
IMO you can't go wrong with either one. I could have gone either way (coilovers/remotes) and decided on going remote adjustable and am very happy. It flexes very well and I really have no complaints. Every now and again I get the itch for coilovers in the front but it is more of a want vs a need...

Which shocks did you end up going with? My reasoning (for now) is that the remote resis will give me more than enough flex to do what I wanna do for the moment, and I can't really justify the extra cost and the about of modification I would have to do to my Jeep (yet....) lol. I have a feeling that will change over time though...haha

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #23 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Granite Guru

One of the things I would like to see from these manufactures is the actual compressed and extended length of the shocks. Not just the lift height recommendations. Seems like this info is hard to find, OME falls into this category as well.

ibjammin, thanks for posting the numbers for the socks you purchased.

Thinking this information would help in the decision making process. A bit of a rant, but it is something I look at when trying to make this decision myself.

I also agree that the Fox shocks are almost as much to rebuild and replace parts as new shocks. Been rebuilding them multiple times...

Trying to decide on my next choice as well.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #24 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Great thread. Agree that shock specs need to be specific. I've thought it odd that Bilstein publishes extended & compressed lengths for virtually all of their shocks but not for the 5100s which are sold based upon lift height. That's not really very helpful when you're tying to dial in a suspension.
post #25 of 48 Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Which shocks did you end up going with? My reasoning (for now) is that the remote resis will give me more than enough flex to do what I wanna do for the moment, and I can't really justify the extra cost and the about of modification I would have to do to my Jeep (yet....) lol. I have a feeling that will change over time though...haha
Fox Remotes - adjustable.

I have the exact setup that you are talking about on my Jeep. Very, very happy. I upgraded the track bars, drive shafts etc....

And don't base your decisions on "modification" alone.... once you install this kit, even though it is "bolt on" there is no turning back. You will do a lot of grinding/cutting of the craptastic stock mounts to make room for the Synergy kit. It is a very well thought out kit, with jam up instructions - everything fit perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode