Common sense kicked in, what to order? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Common sense kicked in, what to order?

Ok so I was all crazy over the Arctic when I saw the possibility. Literally over the past couple hours I started playing around on Jeep.com and now Ive confused myself even more.

Why the Arctic? I liked the white and that it was special edition. But most importantly I like the leather and creature comforts and I LOVED the dark wheels. But like everybody said...why pay all that extra for the package when so much more is available? So I started building and now Im all outa sorts. I can special order, I dont care if it takes longer.

2012 JKU Rubi: Sahara Tan, black/saddle leather interior, automatic, hard top only, remote start.

OR

2012 JKU Sahara: Same colors as above and also auto tranny. But Id want to try and get the black wheels on there with the MT tires combo. This is obviously about $2g cheaper.

I don't offroad that often but I know the Rubi would be a rediculous vehicle and more than capable. Do I need the Arctic? Do I need to Spend on the Rubi components? Is an automatic Rubi a waste? Is Sahara the best option?

Not that I mind having options (I know Im fortunate) but its sooo confusing!! And not to mention its a pretty big decision. Input?

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Granite Guru
 
alex00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Auburn, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 143
Feedback: 0 reviews

I can't speak to your exact dilemma, but I don't think you can go wrong ordering the Rubicon. If you can swing the extra $2K, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even if I end up replacing all the Rubicon components later, I'm sure I'll get a couple thousand bucks worth of use out of them before they go. The biggest factor for me was the Tcase and lockers. Sure you can add lockers and an Atlas later, but it's going to cost more than two grand. To me, the choice between a Sahara and a Rubicon clearly goes to the Rubicon. A sport vs. Rubicon is a harder choice, because you might come closer to breaking even when you replace the Rubicon components.

When you really think about it, $2000 is $50-60 a month when you finance. Make sure you get exactly what you want, no matter what the model is. If it takes rationalizing, crunching numbers, test drives, whatever, just take your time. There is no point in rushing your decision, especially if you special order. Of course, it's easy for me to say this now, but there were times I weighed the option of buying an 11 on closeout instead of waiting for the 12. In the end, the 2 month wait was not a big deal and I got exactly what I wanted.
alex00 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I did the same thing scratched my head looked online drove to dealership. My wife said quit screwing around you know you will use your jeep both on and off road so buy the rubicon it has all the bells an whistles.
Then she added "you can be like me"
We have a Black 2011 and a Mango Tango 2010 Rubicon.
Hers is the Black with the black and saddle leather interior. Mine has just the grey leather.
Criticalhabit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex00 View Post
I can't speak to your exact dilemma, but I don't think you can go wrong ordering the Rubicon. If you can swing the extra $2K, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even if I end up replacing all the Rubicon components later, I'm sure I'll get a couple thousand bucks worth of use out of them before they go. The biggest factor for me was the Tcase and lockers. Sure you can add lockers and an Atlas later, but it's going to cost more than two grand. To me, the choice between a Sahara and a Rubicon clearly goes to the Rubicon. A sport vs. Rubicon is a harder choice, because you might come closer to breaking even when you replace the Rubicon components.

When you really think about it, $2000 is $50-60 a month when you finance. Make sure you get exactly what you want, no matter what the model is. If it takes rationalizing, crunching numbers, test drives, whatever, just take your time. There is no point in rushing your decision, especially if you special order. Of course, it's easy for me to say this now, but there were times I weighed the option of buying an 11 on closeout instead of waiting for the 12. In the end, the 2 month wait was not a big deal and I got exactly what I wanted.
Yea you do make a good point. I just wonder if I WOULD get the use out of them. Then again, if I hit the trails a couple times it might be worth it. And maybe Id be more likely to make time for a Rausch run with the capabilities. I have to admit I do focus on the looks as well. I'm not a fan of the 18s on the Sahara...17s with MT look a lot nicer. It seems like the more I think about it I keep putting more pros in the Rubi column.

Any real disadvantage to an auto rubi vs manual?

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalhabit View Post
I did the same thing scratched my head looked online drove to dealership. My wife said quit screwing around you know you will use your jeep both on and off road so buy the rubicon it has all the bells an whistles.
Then she added "you can be like me"We have a Black 2011 and a Mango Tango 2010 Rubicon.
Hers is the Black with the black and saddle leather interior. Mine has just the grey leather.
nothing like that incentive!

No doubt the rubi bells and whistles make it enjoyable. Regarding the black/saddle interior, can you clarify that the combination is the brownish/saddle color seats only and the dash/mid console and such are black?

On the jeep website there are 3 different interior seat options:

leather trimmed seats
leather trimmed bucket seats not available with automatic tranny)
Katzkin premium leather

i like the look of the saddle color seats and black interior a lot. Brown leather has always been classy to me.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Age: 40
Posts: 1,362
Feedback: 0 reviews

You can't order Sahara Tan any longer. It was a carry over color from 2011 and they only made a few 2012's in that color. There is a new green color coming out that I haven't seen yet. It is supposed to be pretty dark, almost black. Also a lime green color called "gecko" will be coming out probably in spring time. Honestly the current color choices are disappointing to me however the new orange "Crush" is an amazing color and since I can't get Sahara Tan any longer Crush is the color I am shooting for.
Espo78 is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Granite Guru
 
lol jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 29
Posts: 342
Feedback: 0 reviews

i would def get the rubi
lol jk is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I used to be a manual tranny kinda guy however I am older now. I also find I find I have much better control off road with my auto.

Also my wife's 2011 has the saddle brown seats black exterior very nice combination I can have her send me some pics of the inside if you would like. I am on the road till next week.
Criticalhabit is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 02:52 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....
 
TXROCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 46
Posts: 3,833
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalhabit View Post
I used to be a manual tranny kinda guy however I am older now. I also find I find I have much better control off road with my auto.

I have to say in comparing my 2008 2 Door Rubi with auto against my 2007 4 door Rubi Unlimited, I like the room of the 4 Door but prefer the auto tranny. With the auto it takes out having to shift gears while you are negotiating anything. Just put it in gear and if necessary 4LO and away you go!

With that, I like that I dont have to mess with reprogramming for auto tranny shift points by lifting and putting bigger tires on. I do all the "shift points" myself!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TXROCK is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I may have to go Rubi . Definite bummer about the sahara tan color! Sucks that they still have it on the website.

Critical that would be great if you could send some pics along. I would appreciate it

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: .
Posts: 201
Feedback: 0 reviews

Personally, I think you will reget not getting the Arctic if that is what you orginally wanted. It will be one of those things were you will see one on the road and been damn I should have got that one.

The Arctic's do look really cool.

Just my 2 cents.

07 JK, 2-door X, 6-speed
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift with Teraflex Shocks
Teraflex HD Front Track Bar
Teraflex HD Rear Track Bar Bracket
Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
4.88 gears, Eaton E-locker rear, Detroit Trutrac front
35 inch MTR Kevlar on 17x9 XD Spys
Superchips programmer
Volant CAI & VIPER TB
MBRP Stainless Exhaust
Granatelli Spark plug Wires
NGK Iridium Ix spark plugs
Mopar Enchanced Rock Sliders
Mopar Kicker Speakers & Quadratec Super Tweeters
KC Slimlights bumper & windshield
burnout88 is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Wheeler
 
Trigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Xenia, OH
Age: 45
Posts: 36
Feedback: 0 reviews

The Arctic is nice, my fiance and I test drove one and it was pretty sweet. All the creature comforts are very nice, if that's what you're wanting. I went with the Rubicon, simply because I wanted the lockers and transfer case. I really wanted the Sahara Tan, but like was mentioned, you can't get them any more. There were five across the country when I was looking, the closest one being in Louisiana. In the end, I went with a Crush JKU Rubicon and am very pleased. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Arctic had, but I didn't really need all that anyway. I was looking for more offroad capability than creature comforts.
Trigger is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 3,222
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Order your Rubi! Pics will follow...
4x4x4 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Coonasian
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Covington, LA USA
Age: 72
Posts: 1,835
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Here's a black and tan leather, great combo! Order it the way YOU want it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Charlie is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 326
Feedback: 0 reviews

Wait a few months when you can order a Rubi in the arctic blue color. I think it's early Feb that the color is available for special order on any model
Imkunfused is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Yea I know the Arctics look great but I realized I could make a Rubi look just as great for the same price. Its a tough decision. That black with tan leather looks sweet. Can't go wrong with that. Gonna see what the forest green looks like up close tomorrow. Cosmos blue or Crush would certainly be a statment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Imkunfused View Post
Wait a few months when you can order a Rubi in the arctic blue color. I think it's early Feb that the color is available for special order on any model
^^how do you get that info? Ive also heard rumors of a gunmetal-ish color coming out but I wonder how accurate the info is. Any other rumored colors coming out or is the booklet the final spectrum minus a few (sahara tan, natural green etc).

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Can't get a good pic of the forest yet. But these are nice.
Attached Images
   

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Rock God
 
TG426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island NY
Age: 49
Posts: 1,088
Feedback: 0 reviews

get the rubi...I bought a 2010 sport thinking I would build it the way I wanted and I am, but it is a painfully slow process (trying to come up with the $) but I have been wheelin several times and the sport does just fine (so far) I sometimes think the rubi would have been a better way to go and I would not be wishing for a better front axle, lockers and the t-case.

If the difference is $2k, go for the rubi over the sahara.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TG426 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 03:42 PM
DaK
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Get the RUBI and call it good.

IF you go Sahara and you want to go lockers, gears and stuff you will spend way more than 2k.

I have never heard one Rubi owner say, "Wished I would of bought a Sahara, X or Sport". Never have I heard those words but several times I have heard, "I should of gotten the RUBICON!"

As the saying goes, "GO BIG OR STAY HOME"
DaK is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

I got the Rubicon and I'm really glad I did. The only way I would recommend the Sport or Sahara is if you're going to do an axle swap right off the bat, which I'll doubt you'll want to do unless you're running some pretty gnarly rock gardens. For an average build, the Rubicon is the way to go.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
JKsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Valhalla, New York
Posts: 1,127
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Yea, no way a I going to be replacing/upgrading any parts on whatever model I choose. It will be my DD and sufficient as is. Seriously, with the amount I "wheel" it doesn't matter whether I get an X or a Rubi. I like hitting the trails and enjoy the atmosphere more than I do the actual trail or difficulty. I will hold onto my winch and that is all. Im looking for a fun wrangler with all the creature comforts that accompany the new 3.6.

With all that being said I may just bit the bullet and get the Rubi bc I am fortunate enough to be in that position. It certainly won't hurt to have the lockers, t case etc.

Only problem is what damn color to choose!!!!

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
JKsport is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Granite Guru
 
badtux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 100
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
You can't order Sahara Tan any longer. It was a carry over color from 2011 and they only made a few 2012's in that color. There is a new green color coming out that I haven't seen yet. It is supposed to be pretty dark, almost black
The Black Forest Green Jeeps are all done too. No more to be built. I know, because I have one, built in late September . In January there's a different green that's going to be built though that will be a bit brighter (maybe the Gecko Green mentioned below?). Probably be better for a Rubicon anyhow, my Black Forest Green Jeep is almost black, with all the usual problems of black vehicles (i.e., when they get dirty they look like **** ).
badtux is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru
 
alex00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Auburn, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 143
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
Only problem is what damn color to choose!!!!
You know you want Crush with the black leather interior .
alex00 is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Abacabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fishersville, VA
Posts: 2,261
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
Yea, no way a I going to be replacing/upgrading any parts on whatever model I choose. It will be my DD and sufficient as is. Seriously, with the amount I "wheel" it doesn't matter whether I get an X or a Rubi. I like hitting the trails and enjoy the atmosphere more than I do the actual trail or difficulty. I will hold onto my winch and that is all. Im looking for a fun wrangler with all the creature comforts that accompany the new 3.6.

With all that being said I may just bit the bullet and get the Rubi bc I am fortunate enough to be in that position. It certainly won't hurt to have the lockers, t case etc.

Only problem is what damn color to choose!!!!
Go with the X and throw some Rubicon tires under it.
Don't waste the money on lockers and tcase to ride around on dirt roads.


2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Abacabb is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Rock God
 
RyanJKU12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SE PA
Posts: 643
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
Ok so I was all crazy over the Arctic when I saw the possibility. Literally over the past couple hours I started playing around on Jeep.com and now Ive confused myself even more.

Why the Arctic? I liked the white and that it was special edition. But most importantly I like the leather and creature comforts and I LOVED the dark wheels. But like everybody said...why pay all that extra for the package when so much more is available? So I started building and now Im all outa sorts. I can special order, I dont care if it takes longer.

2012 JKU Rubi: Sahara Tan, black/saddle leather interior, automatic, hard top only, remote start.

OR

2012 JKU Sahara: Same colors as above and also auto tranny. But Id want to try and get the black wheels on there with the MT tires combo. This is obviously about $2g cheaper.

I don't offroad that often but I know the Rubi would be a rediculous vehicle and more than capable. Do I need the Arctic? Do I need to Spend on the Rubi components? Is an automatic Rubi a waste? Is Sahara the best option?

Not that I mind having options (I know Im fortunate) but its sooo confusing!! And not to mention its a pretty big decision. Input?
Only regret I have ('12 Sahara with most if not all the creature comforts) is that I didn't get the Rubi. Now I am working slowly towards making my Sahara closer to a Rubi. My problem is that I didn't think I would off road much, but now I am hooked. Sounds like you have the coin. Get the Rubi.

Ryan

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
RyanJKU12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome